sozobe

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 11:14 am
I'm about to finally join a gym, and I think I'll do that regardless, especially for running on the treadmill. But it's always a Project to get there, especially with sozlet in tow (they have childcare on-site, which is cheap but not free). The idea of having something here to use anytime I want (while she's sleeping, for example) sounds mighty attractive.

Someone on craigslist has a bunch of stuff for sale including a Total Gym XL that she said she paid over 1K for and realizes she's never going to use it so she wants to get rid of it. She says it's barely used, like new. Asking $150, seems desperate to unload this stuff so I could probably get her down to $100.

I'd look at it before buying it of course, but curious about any feedback you guys might have about the thing itself. I've been researching it online (Amazon, epinions, etc.) and it seems like for this genre it's actually quite useful, plus easy to store.

Any experiences/ opinions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,582 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 12:02 pm
I can't speak to the merits of this particular exercise equipment. But....

Knock on wood.

And knock again.

Remember you tend to spend a lot of time in winter confined to the house, battling ear infections.

Gas prices are going to be going up. If your editing-from-home career takes off, driving back and forth to the gym may consume time you really don't have.

If the equipment is in your house--bought with your hard earned money--you're going to use it.

(You can always run in place in the middle of the living room floor).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 12:05 pm
Yep, I had something about illness and took it out 'cause I didn't want to sound too paranoid. :-)

But definitely on my mind. (A few iterations -- not being able to get out of the house when she's sick, not wanting to take her to germy childcare if it's especially important she not get sick again...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 12:07 pm
Oh and we do laps in the house. :-) We have one of those layouts where the livingroom connects to the diningroom conects to the kitchen connects to the foyer connects to the livingroom and we dash around and around and around...

It's a good workout but I don't think the angle is great for my knees... (The circle is probably 20 feet in diameter at its largest.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 12:13 pm
No woman with a small child is paranoid when she considers the chances of a long, white winter full of sneezes and snot.

The word you're searching for is "Realistic".
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 12:33 pm
Part of the price is what it's going to cost in time and money to get it delivered and set up. If you still like it and can spare whatever space it takes up, go for it. The Amazon comments from owners has been reliable, in my experience.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 07:34 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

The Amazon comments from owners has been reliable, in my experience.

Because other owners rate the opinions and the "usefullness" of reviews and you don't see all the spam and fake reviews that are there! Crap, now I'm like ebrown and making the voting arguments everywhere (but at least I'm on the right side of the argument) so I feel obliged to contribute something more worthwhile:

I know a lot of gym rats, and they express utter disdain for all home exercise equipment... with the exception of the Total Gym. Every time I hear them opining about such home gyms they say this is the only one they'd consider.

I'm sure it's too late to help sozobe decide whether to have bought it back in 2005, but there's my contribution in case it helps someone else.
sozobe

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 06:48 am
@Robert Gentel,
Wow, completely forgot about this.

I'm running outside (track) and going to a gym now, but good to know. Still would like to have the convenience of something at home.

(Miss Noddy. Sigh.)
0 Replies