My dear Kuvasz Kodi has been diagnosed with osteocarcinoma.

glitterbag

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 08:54 pm
Hello Louise, I don't think we met but I enjoyed your information regarding the Austro-Hungarian area and it's wonderful dogs. I have a Hungarian Vizsla that couldn't herd sheep if her life depended on it. It is rumored or believed that Vizsla originated from the breeding of Weimaraners and German Short Hair Pointers. Even though a lot of hunters leave these dogs outside in kennels they are terrific companions and I would rather sleep outside myself before I'd expose that lovely rust colored dog to the elements. She certainly doesn't have the coat for it, and here in Maryland the weather is too extreme, either too cold one day and too hot the next.

I am glad that there are so many creampuffs out there when it comes to our four legged friends. My husband and I both hope to live the rest of our lives in the company of dogs.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 09:25 pm
Amen, glitterbag. We couldn't imagine life without a Sweet mutt around the place.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 09:48 pm
You really shouldn't talk about Dys that way, Diane.

He'll never let you sleep in the bed at that rate.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 05:16 am
He, he, he. When he takes a nap, he waits for Sally to climb up and rest against his legs. That gruff act is all a sham.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 09:56 pm
I hope all is well. Thanks for posting. And a special shout out to Old Dog who is my oldest cyber friend. Thanks for your kind words of hope.

This week Kodi has been looking great. The past several days she has been all smiles and is moving good, still limping, but getting around okay and exploring the yard. Raja has become her shadow and the two are bonding well. Kodi is not snapping at him, even when he wanders by her as she eats. I think she realizes that he is a pup and means no harm.

Seeing Kodi these past two days all smiles is heartwarming and a joy to see. Wherever she is she just grins at me. I guess it was the weather, being so warm and her bones don't ach as much as when it is cold outside, yet she loves it in the cold and over the past month I have had to cajole her into the house when its near freezing outside.

Yesterday was a bad day for the pack. I returned from visiting an out of state client in the early afternoon, and was greeted by all seven dogs at the gate (even Little Bit was outside), well Kodi was on the porch, but she barked her greeting to me as I got out of the car. I approached the padlocked gate and said hello to all the pack by name. Unfortunately Raja has no sense of "entrance protocol" and Doc immediately jumped him and threw him to the ground. This precipitated an immediate response from Abba, and then the fight was on. Abba and Doc fought all the way to the back of the yard, with Luckie and Aja circling and barking at them. Kodi came down from the porch to stand by the gate as I was screaming at Doc and Abba while I was trying to unlock the padlock with my key. As soon as I got in past the gate I ran to the fight. But by then as Abba was up on his hind legs and had Doc by the throat, Luckie jumped on Abba's back and both Luckie and Doc had at Abba, immediately Aja jumped in and tore Luckie off Abba and it was a four-dog fight with fur flying and teeth slashing everywhere, I got thru the gate, and began to run the 50 yards to the fight with Kodi limping as fast as she could along side me and with Raja on my other side. The fight broke up into two dog fights, Abba on Doc, Luckie on Aja. And I had to choose which one to break up first. When Luckie jumped Abba it gave Doc the chance to put Abba on his back and he had to fight his way back to his feet with Doc attacking so I went straight for that fight first, cursing and kicking them apart. Meanwhile, Luckie and Aja tore into each other both drawing blood from the other. Kodi got in my way as she was trying to protect me from the other dogs, then Doc went after Raja again and this time Raja fought off Doc as Abba hit Doc again from the back. By this time Aja had Luckie on her back but Luckie had Aja's throat and had gotten thru her fur and had drawn blood from Aja's neck. Aja tore a hole in Luckie's front leg. I ran to them and pulled Aja off Luckie by the scruff of aja's neck and kicked at Luckie to prevent her from going back at Aja... Whenever you do this you have to think of how Romeo got between Tibolt and Mercucio and the consequences.

In all the fights lasted less than 60 seconds, but was the worst thing I have ever seen in all my years with the pack. It was like civil war. And I spent the rest of the afternoon with peroxide and Neosporin patching up 5 dogs.

Doc started the whole thing, and even went back at Raja that second time, so I know what is happening. He is attempting to put Raja in his place now, before Raja gets so big, Raja will beat the ever living snot out of Doc.

Abba went at it with Doc only because he felt that Doc was too vicious in Doc's first assault on Raja at the gate. Had Doc stopped with Raja when Raja first went down on his back, nothing would have happened, but Doc stayed on top of Raja so Abba stepped in to stop it. Luckie and Doc are best buds when they break out of the fence and act as a team then, so Luckie went right for Abba when she saw Doc getting bested. Aja adores Abba and went after Luckie as soon as she saw Luckie jump on Abba.

And the whole damned time, Little Bit was barking at everyone from the safety of the porch! The smartest dog in the pack! Kodi scolded each and every dog in the fight and walked up to each dog over the span of a few minutes to bark at them and then licked their wounds.

What is so strange is that within minutes everyone was calm and licking each other on the muzzle and playing and later, by 30 minutes past the fight each fighting pair were sleeping next to each other either on the coach (Aja and Luckie) or on my bed (Doc and Abba) licking their wounds.

Jesus what a mess.

Later that day, I took these pix and it was like a clear sky after a tornado had struck.

Aja, Kodi, and Raja….. Kodi's praise making Aja smile….three generations of a line…that white debris in the background is a toilet paper roll Raja partially ate.

http://aja.freehosting.net/01010007abcdsmall.jpg

All quiet now. Little Bit thinking.. "I could take Raja if I had to!"

http://aja.freehosting.net/01010004abcd%20jan%2010%202006.jpg

Note the cinderblocks propping the fence to stop escapes.

Kodi and Abba after the fight discussing what happened.
http://aja.freehosting.net/01010011abcdsmall.jpg

http://aja.freehosting.net/01010012abcsmall.jpg

All quiet now Dad!
http://aja.freehosting.net/01010017abcdesmall.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:03 pm
yowza! I HATE dogfights. My Boo used to tackle random dogs while we were out. It got so I'd have to take her to sandy creek park to let her run in her own pen. No fights. We lived with an australian cattle dog and the two of them nearly ripped a puppy in two in our back yard. The puppy slipped through the fence (we had one of those GA fences too). While I was breaking up the fight, I was screaming so loud I burst blood vessels in my throat and could taste blood. And, then the little pup bit me. But, she lived.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:03 pm
Oh, and I'm glad to see Kodi so happy....
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 11:29 pm
Hello all. Friends and family.

Kodi died today.

I loved her as much as anything or anyone I have ever known. I am so lucky that she shared her life with me. She made me a better person. She died peacefully in my yard.

Yesterday, we returned from the vet hospital in great spirits. The cancer had been stopped and Kodi was looking and acting great. We were looking forward to the spring and Kodi rolling around in the tall grass and acting like pup. This morning I fed her and she appeared well. I returned home from being away for a few hours and she had died.

I want to thank every one who posted and who has merely stopped by to look in on my Beardog. Your thoughts, prayers, and kind words helped us both more than you can know.

Thank you from the both of us.

http://aja.freehosting.net/kodi%20day%20one459.jpg

Day One. Thirteen years and a lifetime ago.

http://aja.freehosting.net/best%20pix%20aja%20I%20lkodi%20sc%2093%20650.jpg

A pix I carried in my wallet for years. The three of us traveled everywhere.

http://aja.freehosting.net/kodi%20aja%20me%20va%2096%20650.jpg

Kodi on the left, Aja on the right.

http://aja.freehosting.net/kodi%20snow650.jpg

Kodi loved the snow.

http://aja.freehosting.net/bath%20tub%20kodi%20650.jpg

http://aja.freehosting.net/madonna%20and%20kodi%20child%20ga%2099%20650.jpg

My favorite pictures of my Kodibear dog. Such a kind and loving face when she looked at me. It always melted my heart.

http://aja.freehosting.net/Aja%20and%20Kodi%20sisters%20650.jpg

Aja and Kodi. Buddies always.

http://aja.freehosting.net/kodi%20may%202005%20650X.jpg

Her spirit and grace shining through. Good bye sweet Kodi gal. See you across the Rainbow Bridge. Say hello to Aja for me.

TRIBUTE TO A DOG

The best friend a man has in the world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful.

Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it most.

A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads.

The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog. A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness.

He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer; he will lick the wounds and sores that come in an encounter with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince.

When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings, and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens. If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him, to guard him against danger, to fight against his enemies.

And when the last scene of all comes, and death takes his master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by the graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad, but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even in death.

George Vest

Pet your furry friends tonight. They love you more than you will ever know.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 11:38 pm
kuvasz,

I am so so sorry about kodi dying. I know you must hurt so terribly. I have enjoyed your stories so much. Your love and compassion has shone through and brought me many tears of joy!

I cried when I read Kodi died today. I feel like I knew her! How blessed she was to have you as her mommy. I know she had a wonderfully full life full of love and compassion.

Please accept my deepest sympathies.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:42 am
Oh no...!

I hadn't seen the dog fight post so just read through that, with Kodi as always being the matriarch, and getting everyone back in line, and...

Never expected the next post, slapped upside the head. Tears literally rolling down my cheeks right now. I'm so sorry, and so glad you had what time you had with her....
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:18 am
I ache for you. When our loved companions die it leaves a hole in our hearts. I am relieved that she was enjoying life all the way to the end, that's a true blessing. I want to thank you for sharing this journey with us, Kodi must have known how much she was loved and I hope you know how much she loved you. Sometimes when I look at my dogs I think no human deserves that much affection, but no matter what they are there for me, even if they do sneak the occassional loaf of bread. Having the love and companionship of a dog is God's way of saying, see, you're not so bad, that's why I will allow you to look after my creation for awhile.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:19 am
Tears for you and Kodi.

But I'll have warm memories as a Kodi follower, thanks to you, Kuvasz.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:35 am
Hugs, m'friend. Kodi was lucky to have you in her life.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:02 am
Oh, kuvasz, I'm so sorry to hear this. I really thought she was rebounding. I'm so happy, though, that she was doing so well right up to the end. And I'm sure that was because you took such good care of her.

I had never seen or heard of the breed until I started reading your thread and met Kodi. She was a wonder.

Fondly,

Eva
0 Replies

markblouis

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 02:20 pm
I'm so sorry to hear about Kodi.

I had the privilege of living with Kodi & Aja for a year a while back. Kodi was my best friend then. She was the most caring, loving and sweet dog. I feel less sad for her because I know she was loved and well cared for by Frank. I know she enjoyed her life to the fullest. I believe she will join Aja and they will be the happy best friends once again as they were in life. I'm only sorry I never got to see her again.

"If dogs don't go to heaven then when I die I want to go where they go." - Will Rogers
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 08:10 pm
Kuvasz. I'm so sorry to hear this news. My heart goes out to you. My lil Boo will get a little extra loving tonight.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 08:22 pm
Kuvasz, I weep for your loss.
Thank you for sharing Kodi's life with us.
She was very special.
Your love & care of Kodi, also your other critters, is very moving & inspiring.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 08:37 pm
Kuvasz.

I'm stunned. Through your stories and photos, I feel like I've known Kodi for years.

I'm glad she had the chance to recover enough to spend her final days enjoying her matriarchy.

I'm so sorry your beloved girl is gone.

hugs to you, and skull bumps to your pack
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 08:49 pm
I don't have the heart to say much now. I am SO SORRY! I'll add more later. JayBea is in tears!

Your friends,

Byron and JayBea
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 11:52 pm
I am so sorry. The tribute you posted for her was so beautiful. Such a kind radiant face. You can see her lovely soul shining through, and the love.

Thank you for sharing Kodi's life with us. I will pet my furry friends, and think of Kodi, and also of you and the rest of your pack.
0 Replies