My dear Kuvasz Kodi has been diagnosed with osteocarcinoma.

kuvasz

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 09:03 am
My dear Kuvasz Kodi has been diagnosed with osteocarcinoma and has not much time left.

For those who know her, and her past troubles.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17171&highlight=

She recovered over a year ago from what we believe was a stroke, but this past week she had been limping and I had her checked at the vet school at the University of Georgia where they did a biopsy and revealed that she has osteocarcinoma in her upper left leg. Since she is now 12 (almost 13.. her birthday os December 25..I always referred to her as my christmas present from God) amputation is not an option. It is now just a matter of time before she passes away.

As I wrote on my other thread about dear Kodi, she has been my best buddy and constant companion and has been a part of my life for so long that I can hardly remmebr what life was like without her in it. Kodi's smile met me every morning when I awoke for over a decade and her midnight bark at midnight to proclaim all was well at the Kuvasz Ranch let me know that I was well protected by her.

Although I have always treated her like a treasure, now even more I will cherish our remaining time together and make her last days the best I can.

As I said on the other thread…

Kodi has had a wonderful life, and I am proud to have been a part of it.

I just wish it wasn't time for her to go.

Raise a toast to the Biscuit Queen. We shall not see her likes again. I will miss her.

http://aja.freehosting.net/images/kodi%20tape%201%20trans%20%20082405%20Frame12774ab.jpg

After the 2004 World Series…..finally!

http://aja.freehosting.net/aja%20and%20kodi%20virginia%20house%201995ABC.jpg

Kodi with her sister Aja, who always stuck out her tongue when photographed!

http://aja.freehosting.net/abba%20and%20aunt%20kodi%20ga%2099.jpg

Big Kodi proudly watcing over her nephew, Abba summer1999… thanks for the nice hair cut, Dad!

http://aja.freehosting.net/kodi%20all%20smiles%20ga%201999.jpg

First day at the new Kuvasz Ranch, 1999

http://aja.freehosting.net/kodi%20sept%202005%201.jpg

Last night Sept 22, 2005… did I hear you say Biscuit Time?

Tribute To a Dog

The best friend a man has in the world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it most. A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us, may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads.

The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog. A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer. He will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings, and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.

If fortune drives the master forth, an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him, to guard him against danger, to fight against his enemies. And when the last scene of all comes, and death takes his master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by the graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad, but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even in death.

Kodi just came in the house to see what I was up to and is sitting by my side, as she has done for years and years. I think she knows what I am writing because I am in tears.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 23,189 • Replies: 204
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 09:10 am
Kuvasz--

I am so sorry. I know that you'll make her last days wonderful--and that she will do the same for you. Please accept my sympathy.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 09:11 am
I am so sorry to hear about this... enjoy the time you have together... I am sure she has had a very happy life... and who knows maybe a miracle will happen...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 09:14 am
kuvasz

I'm terribly saddened by this news. I know there's nothing I can say to make you feel any better about your wonderful dog, but I'm so sorry this has happened.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 11:14 am
Kuvasz, I'm so sorry about this news.
My love goes out to you and your buddy.

Kodi is gorgeous. Even in my grumpy mood, I couldn't help but smile seeing such a sweet lil face.

May the rest of your days together be beautiful.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 02:58 pm
I'm sorry, kuvasz. She's a wonderful dog. You'll remember her love forever.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 03:03 pm
Love her, play with her and take time with her now. It's so hard losing a pet. I still mourn the death of my first dog Fred and it's been over 11 years. He had lung cancer so I know what you are going though.

We never get over it. We get used to them not being around. Hugs for you.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 04:22 pm
Hugs to you, K.....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 09:14 pm
Egads, these little fuzzy creatures really do become locked into our hearts, don't they? Kuvasz, I'm so sorry.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 09:18 pm
I'm sorry, very sorry, kuvasz, and put my arm around Kodi's shoulders.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 09:32 pm
Kuvasz - very sorry I share your tears
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 09:50 pm
Oh Kuvasz, I'm crying with you, knowing the love of dogs all my life. I can't imagine life without a dog.

In your earlier thread, you mentioned when she was a puppy and her sweet puppy smell. Then they are grown and a companion, always there, always happy to see you.

Hugs to you and Kodi. I am so sorry for what you are going through.

BTW, you might not remember, but I purchased a tie dye shirt from you several years ago. It is still getting compliments.

{{{{{{{{{{ Hugs to kuvasz and Kodi. }}}}}}}}}}
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:34 am
BBB
One of the important lessons learned from hurricane Katrina is to not try to separate people from their dogs during an evacuation. So many people refused to leave their pets behind.

During hurricane Rita, Texas officals allowed people to include their pets in shelters, etc. People were willing to evacuate if they could bring their pets with them.

For many people, their pets, especially their dogs, are like their children. No parent would leave their child behind. Our lives would be incomplete without our pets. They are loved and they return that love to us.

BBB
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 12:21 pm
Kuvasz,

Like Diane, I am sitting here with you, in tears. Your tribute to Kodi was so beautiful and I wish I knew of some way to help make things easier for you. My heart and love go out to you both....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 09:03 am
Hugs to you, Kuvasz, I know what it's like, and no matter how many times it happens, it never gets easier to lose a beloved pet.

Love is an amazing thing, and certainly not confined to only the human species.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 07:38 pm
Jespah, so true about love. Distance and space, life or death make no difference to love. Kodi will always be one of the most important parts of kuvasz's life.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 10:48 am
Kodi and I thank al of you for your remarks.

On friday I take her in the vet school to see what if anything we can do for her to help her.

each of you are so kind to post to this thread, and I know if cavfancier were still here, I would see her post too.

we are all such lovers of dogs and it makes me feel so much better to know others out there also share my love for them.

yes, diane, I do remember you.. as vietnamnurse on abuzz and you sent me a pix of you and your buddies from a trip you took with them wearing your tie dyes! i remember our phone calls of our talks on kuvasz, you almost got one from the kennel Kodi came from.. and in case you think I forgot about you, i did not and still have a post of yours from an abuzz thread over 4 years ago about where you were when apollo 11 landed on the moon.. below... because it meant much to me.

Vietnamnurse u.1119688 Quick stats
Added on Wed, Mar 21, 2001 9:59 PM

Hi Kuvasz1!

I remember that night so well. I was a Captain in the Army Nurse
Corps at Brooke General Hospital, Ft. Sam Houston, Texas and I
was working in the Intensive Care Unit that night. We had a some
very sick patients and were extremely shorthanded and busy. One
of the young soldiers parents brought a TV set in for him to
watch the moonlanding. The patients who were capable of knowing
what was going on, the nurses,and the doctors, were for just a
few minutes watching what would be a "never to be forgotten
experience." We listened mostly...we were too busy to stop for
long. I got off the 3-11 shift at midnight and remember looking
up at the moon with all the wonderment of a little child. It is
like it was yesterday...

5 out of 5 people found this Response valuable.
*Change to not valuable?

so, you see we all impact each other with our lives.

and Kodi just walked in to see what I was doing! she is psychic!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 01:22 pm
Ah kuvasz, I would like to be as articulate as vietnamnurse--I was mmediane on abuzz and, like a2k, didn't always post with regularity. I can't even remember how I heard of your shirts--must have been on one of the threads where people were talking about old hippies.

Anyway, I loved your dogs then and still do. I'll be sending out prayers, in my own way, and positive thoughts for good news on Friday at the vet school.
Hugs for both you and Kodi and special scritches behind the ears for Kodi--and for you too if you like scritches behind your ears.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 01:31 pm
ohhhhhh, Kuvasz. You and your sweet Kodi. Hugs, and ear scratches, to both of you. Don't even try to tell me you don't need an ear scratch too.

I've learned a lot about puppy love from you, and a lot about puppy patience as well.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 01:50 pm
Kuvasz, I well remember the time when I didn't even know what a kuvasz was. When my last dog died, I swore I would never, EVER have another pet. It's just like losing a child.

One summer, when I came home from grad school, I was greeted by Janie, my dying mutt. She waited for me to return and then went off to die. It reminded me of Argos waiting for Odysseus to return home.

I know your feeling well, my friend, but at least you are there with Kodi, and the last face that your queen will see is one of love. I hope that you can take some comfort in that.
0 Replies