Study Finds Racial Imbalance on Death Row

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:47 pm
Re: Study Finds Racial Imbalance on Death Row
Brandon9000 wrote:

I don't suppose you find anything, however insignificant, wrong with Germany?

As said and quoted, the study isn't published yet. So I couldn't read it and have to rely on what is said in other media.
But since it is a study about California, I sincerely doubt that any German aspects have been dealt with.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:51 pm
On the other hand, Brandon, I would be felighted to discuss any German law/prison/legal theme with you!

Name a source/survey/study and start a thread!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 04:25 pm
I'd be very surprised if a study of the German prison population didn't produce similar results - over-representation of minorities and heavier charges/penalties/sentences for crimes against Germans.

I suspect the statistics are there for the finding.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 04:26 pm
Sure is true in Central and Eastern Europe about the Roma (gypsies)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:59 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I'd be very surprised if a study of the German prison population didn't produce similar results - over-representation of minorities and heavier charges/penalties/sentences for crimes against Germans.

I suspect the statistics are there for the finding.

Well, there have been some, which were to my knowledge a) done years ago, b) didn't come to to such a result.

(I'm only speaking about ehBeth's point No b) here, since that would be equivalent to the quoted study.)

I'll try to find some more recent studies in the university library, which, however, doesn't seem to be easy: we only 'divide' people/citizens according to their nationalty, not so-called "ethic background".

I do have my dounts, however, opposite to ehBeth's suspect, that any German court punishes someone harder only due to the fact of his nationalty, colour of skin etc compared to what a 'white' German would get.
The outcry would go at it loudest throughout the world media - re our terrible history with this.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:16 pm
Brandon you're being too sensitive. The study is located in California and so without a lot more work it would be unwise to generalise it to the rest of the US. Anyway that shot at Walter was definitely uncalled for. Jeepers how the heck would any of us know anything if we got all defensive about facts?

ehBeth mentions the situation of aboriginal people in Canada. The same pertains here in Australia. Very small population of aboriginal persons in the total population but overly represented in prison. And there is much violence within the aboriginal communities here but from memory it is aboriginal to aboriginal and - I hate to say this but I fear it's true - is a low profile crime. If the sort of violence in aboriginal communities was happening in European (white-dominated) communities here in Australia there would be outrage among the public. As it is now it would appear that apathy is the order of the day. Yes, it is a racist attitude but I'm afraid it exists.

Walter that study was very interesting precisely because it focused on the race of the victims. Obviously much more work needs to be done to tease out what else is happening to create that situation but it's still very interesting.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:22 pm
Well, if someone of East Europe or e.g. a "Russian German" would be punshed harder - I fear, the same would happen like you, goodfielder, described it re. Australian minorities here, too.

Since I still do have some 'connections' to prisons and academics, working in this field, I might be able to get some more about that.
But this will take some time.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 06:35 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, if someone of East Europe or e.g. a "Russian German" would be punshed harder - I fear, the same would happen like you, goodfielder, described it re. Australian minorities here, too.

Since I still do have some 'connections' to prisons and academics, working in this field, I might be able to get some more about that.
But this will take some time.

Well, keep your eye on the ball when you do your research. We're talking about the race of the victim, not the defendant. :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:23 am
Yes, exactly that's what I'm trying to find out: there are the court rulings for instance, the summaries of the biographies done by the social workers, etc. etc.

I'm rather sure, I know a bit about it, certainly not more but at least longer than you do, Tico :wink:
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:36 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Yes, exactly that's what I'm trying to find out: there are the court rulings for instance, the summaries of the biographies done by the social workers, etc. etc.

I'm rather sure, I know a bit about it, certainly not more but at least longer than you do, Tico :wink:

Walter, without a doubt you know longer than me.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:55 am
See, there are really some important points where we totally agree :wink:
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 09:11 am
:wink: Very Happy
0 Replies