Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:08 pm
Ibuilt my site and now i am starting to advertise it..... i need to find out if people are loging on to it to see if my advertising is working...

i typed web counter but it gave me a bunch of hard to understand sites...i dont know if i just need a counter or a tracker...i really dont want ads..can you guys help?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,780 • Replies: 10
No top replies

lil cat luver

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:22 pm
Try StatCounter, it's free and really easy to add to your site (just copy and paste coding). Oh, and no ads either Very Happy
0 Replies

Roofingguy

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:19 pm
thanks you have been very helpfull.. i have an account allready set up and it counted two new visitors....what else does that counter do...does it track who logged on or something??? .. im going to look at the instructions
0 Replies

lil cat luver

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 12:09 am
Once you log in, you'll see the "projects" you have, and just click on the project name and on the page that opens up, there are a bunch of statistics on the left side menu, including visitor paths, visitor lengths, returning visitors, broswer, system stats.
0 Replies

Roofingguy

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 12:24 pm
ok lil kat i see that .. my services are in san diego CA.. and i am getting visits only from like canada and illinois.. one was from nigeria!!... none from here... what can i do to improve this...i have keywords but my site dont show up.. even if i put all my keywords in the search bar
0 Replies

lil cat luver

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 02:40 pm
What search engine are you using to search? If it's google, you have to submit your site through their submit page (http://www.google.a/addurl/?hl=en&continue=/addurl) even if you already have keywords in your code. If you have already done that, maybe your keywords aren't clear enough, or your meta tags are wrong, or something along those lines. I don't really know how you can get visitors only from san diego, sorry Sad
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 08:26 pm
Submitting your site is both useless and unecessary. Google ignores those submissions completely.

SEO in a nutshell is:

1) on page optimization - This is the many many little things you can do to optimize your site

2) off page optimization - This means other people linking to you

If you don't have links to you, you will probably not get in the search engine regardless of how many times you submit (if they use the submissions for anything it should be to detect overeager webmasters).
0 Replies

lil cat luver

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 08:36 pm
That's weird...when I first opened my site about 2 years ago, I never submitted to google and I could never find my link on the search engine even though I had all the right meta tags and everything. And I'm pretty sure there are other sites linking to mine. After I submitted through the submit page, it started showing up on the searches after about 2 weeks.

Right now my site is pretty high up in the search results (around..10-15th? site) and I only have about 20 sites linking to me. According to those two rules, shouldn't it be much lower?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 09:19 pm
It depends on the query and links. Not all links are created equal and not all queries are created equal.

As to your experience with submitting, I don't know enough to tell you whether it was coincidental and suspect that you didn't track enough info to know as well. But I will note that in the past submit forms actually served a purpose.

These days the only big search engine to really use them is gigablast.
0 Replies

Fatimah

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 12:18 pm
Roofingguy,

To encourage more visitors to your web site, you can start writing articles and distribute them. Add your resource box at the bottom of your article and submit to several sites that publish them.

You will attract new visitors to your web site and you get links without having to exchange with them. People can also use your articles on their web sites with your resource box and you encourage more visitors.

That's one of the strategies.

Regards
Fatimah
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:59 pm
Can you believe the info provided via webalizer?
I was just numbed at the amount of traffic at a site.
0 Replies