Does there exist a deity?

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 12:12 pm
I am sure that this has been discussed here many times before, but hopefully not in exactly these terms:

Those who contend that there exists a deity accept that it is incapable of what they bluntly and unhelpfully term "proof", but still maintain that they are either certain or consider it highly probable that there exists a deity.

Can anyone reading this message who falls into the latter category provide any rational basis for the contention that there exists a deity (a) at all, and (b) that is supported by evidence of sufficient probative value to be commensurate with the degree of certainty of your belief?

And to those who cite "faith" as if it were capable of being an answer, faith means nothing more than "belief". My question to those who profess "faith" as an answer to the above: what is the basis upon which you decide to have faith in the existance, rather than the non-existance, of a deity? Also, what but a rational basis and a commensurate degree of evidence can justify any particular degree of faith/belief?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,745 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 01:35 pm
THIS WAS POSTED IN THE IDENTICAL THREAD OVER IN THE PHILOSOPHY SECTION:

I agree that there is no rational basis for a belief in a deity.

I also assert that there is no rational basis for a belief in the absence of a deity -- or of deities.

I am an agnostic.

Beliefs are guesses.

Faith is holding tenaciously to a certain guess.

As I said, I am an agnostic. I do not know if there is a GOD or if there are no gods - and I do not see enough unambiguous evidence to make a guess in either direction.

I do get a kick out of people who do guess one way or the other - and then mock or deride the other side for their guesses.
0 Replies

jamespetts

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 04:00 am
I reposted it here because one of the more experienced members suggested that I might get more replies here :-) I hope that I haven't done the wrong thing.

By saying that beliefs are guesses, are you suggesting that no-one can come to a meaningful conclusion about anything? Are you positively asserting that no sentient being is ever capable of drawing a meaningful conclusion that is more right than contrary conclusions as to the *probability* that there exists a deity?

What is the probability, from the evidence that is before you, that there exists a deity?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 06:31 am
A proof is, in its breader sense, a means of persuasion. If a person is persuaded of a statement A, then the person has already a proof of A.

E.g., the formula

P=>Q, P
________(therefore)
Q

persuades all of those trained in logic. But you cannot prove the validity of the form without recourse to axioms.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 07:58 am
jamespetts wrote:
I reposted it here because one of the more experienced members suggested that I might get more replies here :-) I hope that I haven't done the wrong thing.

By saying that beliefs are guesses, are you suggesting that no-one can come to a meaningful conclusion about anything?

I am??? And why is that???

If that is an example of your logic, perhaps this thread should have been posted in the entertainment section as well.

Quote:
Are you positively asserting that no sentient being is ever capable of drawing a meaningful conclusion that is more right than contrary conclusions as to the *probability* that there exists a deity?

I am asserting that I do not know if there is a GOD; I do not know if there are no gods; I do not see anywhere near enough unambiguous, probative evidence upon which to make a meaningful guess in either direction -- and I have never heard anything from any other human being that indicates anyone else on the planet is or has ever been in a more informative position.

I do know there are people who assert they have enough evidence to come to the conclusion that it is more probable there is a GOD; I do know there are people who assert they have enough evidence to come to the conclusion that it is more probable there are no gods.

I have listened carefully and reasonably to the arguments from both these factions and have come away astonished that intelligent people can be deluding themselves that way.

[quote/]What is the probability, from the evidence that is before you, that there exists a deity?[/quote]

Read what I wrote above!
0 Replies

TechnoGuyRob

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 10:35 pm
There only is God...yes there is we have proof. According to "Discover" the body of John the Baptist was found
0 Replies

TechnoGuyRob

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 10:36 pm
There only is God...yes there is we have proof. According to "Discover" the body of John the Baptist was found
TGR
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 10:49 pm
Quote:
What is the probability[..]

Probalility is a relative degree of belief about the occurence of an event.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 11:24 pm
TGR, What do you mean the body of John the Baptist was found? I visited his tomb in Turkey, and that's been there for over 1,800 years. c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 11:25 pm
BTW, The Topkapi Palace in Istanbul also has the hand of John the Baptist displayed in their museum. c.i.
0 Replies

jamespetts

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 11:13 am
TechnoGuyRob wrote:

In what sense does that support the proposition that there exists a deity?
0 Replies