Del Ponte: Vatican hinders hunt for fugitive Croat general

nimh

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 04:42 am
Quote:
Tribunal: Vatican Hinders Criminal Hunt

Associated Press

THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The chief prosecutor at the U.N. war crimes tribunal accused the Vatican on Tuesday of hindering the hunt for a fugitive Croatian general.

Prosecutor Carla del Ponte's spokeswoman said Gen. Ante Gotovina was believed to be receiving support from a network of Roman Catholic monasteries in Croatia.

If church leaders "would give orders not to harbor war crimes suspects, if they would assist justice, fugitives wouldn't find protection in monasteries," Del Ponte's spokeswoman, Florence Hartmann, said.

The Vatican press office said it had no comment.

Croatian Prime Minister Ivo Sanader said that "based on all the information we're getting, Gotovina is not in Croatia." An Interior Ministry spokesman, Zlatko Mehun, said tips last year that the fugitive was hiding at a monastery had been unfounded.

In 2001, the U.N. war crimes tribunal indicted Gotovina for allegedly masterminding the 1995 killings of about 150 Serbs and the expulsions of at least 150,000 as part of a drive to purge Serbs from Croatia.

Hartmann said Del Ponte had sent letters to the Vatican and met with top church officials this summer requesting that the church reprimand Croatian Bishop Mile Bogovic. Bogovic publicly called Gotovina a hero and said his prosecution was politically motivated.

Del Ponte's pleas went unanswered, Hartmann said.

Catholic, Christian Orthodox and Muslim leaders "have a responsibility in the end to protect the weak, the victims. Glorifying killers is contrary to all religious teaching, as far as I remember," Hartmann said.

Gotovina is one of seven people still being sought by the U.N. tribunal.

[..]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 547 • Replies: 5
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 01:07 pm
Memories of a book I read with commentary on the Vatican re the Ustache croatians, Spy in the Vatican by Bronko Bokan....
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 12:39 am
not only Ustashe, Vatican was supporting all nazism in World War Two. However, I think it's highly unlikely that they are hiding Gotovina today, and that Carla del Ponte was out of line with last remarks - her problem is that she easily gives opinions and never gets any proof for it - not really serious for one prosecutor.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 04:49 am
Hey MOU long time no see! Glad to see you back. You doing OK?
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 08:24 am
yeah, just having a lot of work, and being lazy in the same time Smile So I'm not even sure why I posted this few posts at all, when I will probably get to lazy to connect in few days again Smile
anyway, hope you are good as well Wink
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 08:29 am
Hiya MOU!

Echoes, here...
0 Replies