Former dissident fights for anti-discrimination law in Czech

nimh

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 10:41 am
.. in the Czech Republic, I mean, of course.

Last year's article but it sounds good: good guy, good cause.

The anti-discrimination laws he described should have been up for a vote in the Czech House of Deputies today, keep an eye open on news if you see any.

Quote:
Keeping human rights in the spotlight
New commissioner battles skepticism on top priority: an anti-discrimination law
http://www.praguepost.com/P03/2004/Art/1216/41216news9.jpgDissident background

Karasek believes his background will stand him in good stead in his current job.

"Being a dissident was especially about human rights," he says.

Also in his favor is the fact that he is an MP and deputy chairman of the Freedom Union party, a junior partner in the coalition Cabinet.

"I can turn to [government] ministers and politicians. Some of them I know really well. With the interior minister [Frantisek Bublan], for example, we share memories of our work on Charter 77, so I can talk to him as an old friend."

One sacrifice Karasek will have to make as human rights commissioner is cutting back on his preaching at U Salvatora Church near Prague's Old Town Square, and on singing with his friends.

"Before ... we used to sing up to three times a week outside of Prague and used to return home late, at 3 a.m.," he says. "I do want to regulate this a little so that I can concentrate more on my work in Parliament and in my office."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 438 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 10:46 am
wot? czech republic has NO antidiscrimination legislature? or is it just out-dated? off to research...mui interesting.

...i know karasek. good guy. the old guard.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 10:49 am
Almost forgot: I know a comprehensive antidiscrimination law was up for debate in Parliament today because Romservis reported the following, this morning:

Quote:
Anti-discrimination bill meets demands of current society

Prague, 19. 9. 2005, 10:00 (CTK)

A draft discrimination has a real chance of being passed by the Chamber of Deputies at its September session which opens on Tuesday, the daily Hospodarske noviny writes today. The bill precisely defines what is and what is not discrimination and it enjoys general support in the Chamber of Deputies, except of deputies from the senior opposition Civic Democrats (ODS).

Source (It has a link to "Full story", but it doesnt function)

CEC Government Relations in its "Early Warning System" on Czech policy, meanwhile, has two Anti-Discrimination Bills (866, 867) listed as pending in the Chamber of Deputies:

Quote:
Anti-Discrimination Bills (866, 867)

Purpose: The two bills introduce the EU anti-discrimination rules. Their goal is to prevent discrimination of employees in private companies that is based on their race, age, sex, religion, and sexual orientation. The bills introduce a strict ban on different wages paid for the same work in the same position. The Centre for Equal Treatment will be newly set up as an overseeing authority. The Ombudsman will also gain power to interfere in the employment policy of private companies in order to enforce the equality of wages.

Affected: All companies.

Timing: Approved by the government in December 2004. Passed the 1st reading in the Chamber of Deputies in February 2005. The parliamentary committee interrupted the discussion in May 2005.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 11:05 am
Hey Dag! Thought you would know him ... ;-)

This news item might be related - article wholly focuses on gay rights, but its the same law its talking about, I suppose, no?

(I'm hopeless with laws)

It would at least explain a possible absence of such a law so far - note how the law described here was tabled and narrowly rejected time and again throughout the past ten years..

Quote:
Gay partnership law likely

More than a decade after being proposed, equal rights could pass Read on...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 07:47 am
I set up a Google Alert to find out whether the law did actually get through; but instead, it now yields bad news from the neighbouring state, Slovakia:

Quote:
Slovakia bans positive discrimination

19.10.2005 - 09:53 CET | By Renata Goldirova EUOBSERVER / BRATISLAVA - Positive action providing advantages for people of an ethnic or racial minority group is to be banned in Slovakia, striking a blow against EU policy on the matter.

The country's constitutional court ruled on Monday (18 October) that such favourable provisions clashed with the Slovak constitution, as they "violated full equality before the law".

In practical terms, the ruling means that measures such as preferential access to education or the requirement to hire a designated quota of minority group members, such as Roma, would be illegal.

End of a long dispute

The court's decision put an end to a 15-month legal dispute between the Slovak government and the parliament, with the cabinet keen to dump Article 5 of the European Council Race Discrimination Directive.

The text allows the option of positive action and has been part of Slovak anti-discrimination law since July 2004.

The final verdict is seen as a victory for the governmental Christian Democratic Movement (KDH), which had at first opposed the entire anti-discrimination package.

Led by justice minister Daniel Lipsic, the Christian Democrats said that special assistance may be linked "only to social conditions, never to racial or ethnic origin".

"We need to get rid of building stereotypes based on race and ethnicity".

Roma angered

But Roma representatives called the legal ruling a "tragedy", saying it could slow-down existing anti-discrimination projects.

"Positive action is meant to be a temporary tool to improve Roma's start-up line", said the Slovak Government's envoy for Roma minority issues.

Up to 500,000 Roma are estimated to live in Slovakia, many of them still facing segregation and disadvantaged conditions in housing, education and employment.

End of story?

The sudden red light to positive discrimination in Slovakia is also a blow to Brussels' efforts to promote the idea of social inclusion.

Although not required to, member states are encouraged to take steps to ensure equal opportunities.

"It is definitely important to include minorities into society and prevent certain areas from becoming ghettos", the commission's spokesperson for social matters said.

The Czech Republic and the Netherlands are amongst those EU countries to have introduced measures of positive action, ranging from increasing the chances of Roma to find work to financial incentives offered to companies to hire immigrants.

No clue why they highlight Czech and Netherlands at the end; they seem hardly the best examples...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 08:11 am
F**k. And I never curse. I really hoped this has a glimmer of a chance. They were pushing so hard. Man, I'm starting to despise KDH despite their efforts on Hungarian-Slovak cooperation and reconciliation... Grrrrr.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 08:41 am
There's no chance left anymore, is there? I mean, once the Constitutional Court's decided, what can you do, can you still take it to the European Court?
0 Replies