what song would you like played at your funeral???

flushd

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 05:52 pm
Well, I'll have to think of something that is isn't already associated with funerals in my family. So far; if I hear even one note of Last Post I start bawling. Ave Maria is another one that makes me cry.

At my stepfather's funeral; there was no music. It was a short graveside service, then we all went to the bar for drinks on him. He had put aside enough money for us all to get nicely toasted (nice guy, eh!).
He loved country music and gospel. Well, a friend pulled out a banjo in the bar and started playing "Man of Constant Sorrow". We were all drinking, singing real loud, and toasting. It was beautiful and perfect.

For my own funeral I would like for my brother to sing the song he wrote for me. It's beautiful and does a good job of capturing who I am and what I am about.
He's already agreed to this: and I will sing a song if he passes before me.

I would also like my friends to play the music for my party.
Nothing could be better.
Of course; they will have to play some of my favorite songs! :wink:
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 09:48 pm
My son and I recently worked together on the internet and over the phone for five or six hours, choosing songs for his father's funeral. We have always been extraordinarily close, but that process changed us. We were both determined to consciously choose rather than rely on convention. We talked about his dad, told stories about him the other didn't know... My son knows a lot he didn't about his dad as a young man.

My husband had been a Civil War buff--a war buff in general, really--but we had significantly enjoyed Ken Burns' series and had both loved the haunting violin of that soundtrack. "Ashokan Farewell" was the first track. A little about it:

Jay Ungar and Molly Mason have been playing music together since 1978 and have become widely known for their work with Ken Burns and other public broadcasting favorites, Great Performances and Garrison Keillor's "Prairie Home Companion."

They also run Fiddle & Dance Workshop at Ashokan in upstate New York where, each summer, people come to learn traditional music and dance. Jay Ungar first wrote "Ashokan Farewell" at the conclusion of one of those summer workshops.

JAY UNGAR: "Ashokan Farewell" is a tune that I wrote unintentionally, really. It was a moment of deep emotion after the summer camps at Ashokan had ended. It was the third summer, and it was an experiment every summer, you know, pulling this together. And it had been such a deeply moving experience and the community of people and the feeling of unity that we had had through music, and being away from the regular world was so important to me that when I'd gotten home, I had a sense of loss and longing; and I was looking for a Scottish lament, you know, that would express how I felt. And I couldn't think of one, so I just started playing, and this tune came out. And it brought me to tears...
My husband's favorite song was "Old Man" by Neil Young. He had had a difficult, but loving relationship with his father--and we agreed on this one as our second. I loved standing in that austere place, among family, friends from work drifting in, worlds colliding in tribute to my husband and Neil Young's defiant voice rising to beseech his father to see him. The word bittersweet has renewed meaning for me.

I know this is cliche, but my son had found the most mournful, primeval rustling of bagpipes. Amazing Grace. I like the unintentional chaos of the first sounds as the bagpiper adjusts. It's wild, out of order, I don't know, a cry that somethings wrong.

We had been looking for a filler piece to fill the tracks to 30 minutes and my son's wife had heard something that reminded her a lot of Ashokan Farewell. After a bit of searching, thinking, she found it. She has a good ear. It wound up being a piece from the soundtrack of Legends of the Fall, written by Jay Ungar. Lovely. A coincidence.

I loved to hear my husband sing. He had a voice like Neil Young's, sort of folky with an edge, and I begged him to sing to me alot. I drove him crazy over some Dan Fogelburg albums. Captured Angel and Souvenirs. There may have been a more appropriate one, but I didn't consider one other than Souvenirs. It seemed right.

We had one more and I knew I wanted Mozart's Requiem. Another cliche, but it was filled with almost as much dread and hopelessness as I was and since I couldn't stand up and scream, Mozart's Requiem was the next best thing. The problem was, my son said he'd heard something, too, he thought was really necessary as the last track. I decided to defer to him. This whole process was mostly for him, and I was so glad he was partaking in this bit of therapy with me. He said his was a piece of music he'd seen on one of his favorite shows. He played it for me. It had been used in a scene on Band of Brothers. Mozart's Requiem.

This process of arranging my husband's Gathering saved me. It forces you out of your head and heart and makes you do things. My husband wanted to be cremated and this is akin to a one way ticket to hell in these parts, but we did as we damn well pleased and my husband would have loved it. The florist used flowers and greenery to make a focal point of the blue marble urn, bearing my husband's ashes, and the myriad of family photographs and those of my husband.

No one stood over his body making inane, bizarre remarks as people here are accustomed to doing. No formality, dirges, rote... Two men he loved spoke of him as he was, not after the post-death whitewash. It was the most beautiful tribute I've ever seen. My son stood behind the podium with the five or so pages he'd written the day after his father died. He left them here for me.

It is good to do these things.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 03:38 am
What "parts" are you in, Lash, where cremation is so frowned upon? Hereabouts it's commonplace.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 05:22 am
Lash.

That very fine post made my heart ache.

I felt privileged to read it and I thank you for it.

I'm so sorry.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 07:53 am
Dust in Wind Lyrics from Kansas

I close my eyes, only for a moment, and the moment's gone
All my dreams, pass before my eyes, a curiosity
Dust in the wind, all they are is dust in the wind.
Same old song, just a drop of water in an endless sea
All we do, crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see

Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind

[Now] Don't hang on, nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky
It slips away, and all your money won't another minute buy.

Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind
Dust in the wind, everything is dust in the wind.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 10:35 am
Joeblow wrote:
Lash.

That very fine post made my heart ache.

I felt privileged to read it and I thank you for it.

I'm so sorry.

How sweet of you. Thank you so much.

Merry--

I'm presently in South Georgia, about as rural as one can be and still be on the planet. I saw shock on people's faces when I told them. People still came to the funeral home for a "viewing", though we announced there wouldn't be one. A few people have actually told me they were "concerned" about the disposition of a soul when the body has been cremated. I don't know if it's Muslims?--(Jewish tradition?)--that strongly discourages cremation.

The ceremony was quite different too. I think when you're conditioned to believe things should be done a certain way, and there's rarely deviation from that way, you tend to frown on alterations. No matter.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 01:31 pm
That was a beautiful tribute, Lash. You and your son did the best you could possibly do. Wishing both of you strength.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 05:55 pm
Thank you so much, nimh.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 06:33 pm
Good on you, Lash, for preparing a tribute to your husband that had meaning for you and your son - and hopefully others understand all of you better as a result.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 06:59 pm
Thank you for the good thoughts, ehBeth.
<smiles at ehBeth>
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:32 am
I was thinking pretty much the same thing, Lash. If we've got to go through these rituals, then for heaven's sake, make them mean something real. Good for you! Very Happy
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 08:19 pm
Thank you, msolga.

<smiles>
0 Replies

blue1

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 03:54 am
Re: what song would you like played at your funeral???
costa blanca wrote:
i'd go for.

the sick bed of culcuddan by the pogues

I don't want to die Crying or Very sad

i want David Guetta & Jddavis - The world is mine
0 Replies

mizzmolz

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 12:13 pm
I'd have 2 have a song that would make everyone cry and miss me Razz
So I'd probably have Robbie Williams, "Angels" or something like that lol
xxxxxxxxxxxx
(but hoping it won't have to be arranged any time soon................)
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:43 pm
mozarts requiem
by mozart
for mozart

that a requiem, written by mozart (when he was still alive obviously), to be played at his funeral when he was dead (obviously)

so something jolly like that I think
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 12:03 am
"Go Rest High On That Mountain" Vince Gill
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:51 pm
All Bob Seger tunes especially Turn the Page, Travelin Man, Beautiful loser and Roll Me Away

All Jim Croce with emphesis on Time in a Bottle

Freebird

and, if there is still a dry eye anywhere, when they place me in the ground Taps
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 05:45 pm
Birds (Neil Young)

Lover, there will be another one
Who'll hover over you beneath the sun
Tomorrow see the things that never come
Today

When you see me
Fly away without you
Shadow on the things you know
Feathers fall around you
And show you the way to go
It's over, it's over.

Nestled in your wings my little one
This special morning brings another sun
Tomorrow see the things that never come
Today

When you see me
Fly away without you
Shadow on the things you know
Feathers fall around you
And show you the way to go
It's over, it's over.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 03:27 pm
I'm in agreement with nhim on 'Innocent When You Dream' and also by Tom Waits.... 'On The Nickel' & 'Hold On'.
Now, switching wavelengths, 'Go Rest High On That Mountain'.
Lastly - with no music at all, the simple words of Frida Kahlo:
"May my leaving be joyous and may I never return."
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 03:55 pm
Killing Floor - Howlin Wolf & others as well

I should of quit you
A long time ago
I should of quit you baby
A long time ago
But you got me messin' round with you baby
You got me cryin' on a killin' floor, yeah