Science and language.

fresco

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 06:08 am
Val + JJ

By saying that "time is a psychological construct" I am referring to problematic results from "science itself" rather than some philosophical points from phenomenologists. I am implying that physics, especially quantum physics, has revealed the limits of its own authority and therefore science as an epistemological activity based on prediction (in time) is limited (spacialiality being irrelevant to this point).

For my take on "physiology" you need to consider the difference between comparative physiology which distinguishes between species for traditional "scientific" clasificatory purposes and
functional physiology which tries to explain how the parts contribute to the functioning of the whole. Whereas I can go along with the comparative physiology in order to justify different worlds for different species etc I cannot go with functional physiology because nobody knows where the boundaries of "the whole" are except for specialized local control purposes. (All levels of "life" function may be epistemologically significant from cell, through organism, society, planet and beyond) This division may go some way to answering your "both camps" objection even though I have already rejected the utility of traditional dichotomies (mind-matter, physics metaphysics etc)
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 01:29 pm
fresco wrote:
Val + JJ

By saying that "time is a psychological construct" I am referring to problematic results from "science itself" rather than some philosophical points from phenomenologists. I am implying that physics, especially quantum physics, has revealed the limits of its own authority and therefore science as an epistemological activity based on prediction (in time) is limited (spacialiality being irrelevant to this point).

For my take on "physiology" you need to consider the difference between comparative physiology which distinguishes between species for traditional "scientific" clasificatory purposes and
functional physiology which tries to explain how the parts contribute to the functioning of the whole. Whereas I can go along with the comparative physiology in order to justify different worlds for different species etc I cannot go with functional physiology because nobody knows where the boundaries of "the whole" are except for specialized local control purposes. (All levels of "life" function may be epistemologically significant from cell, through organism, society, planet and beyond) This division may go some way to answering your "both camps" objection even though I have already rejected the utility of traditional dichotomies (mind-matter, physics metaphysics etc)

If you say that phsiology, matter, determines thought and thought constructs a physical world, that sounds like a resurrection of mind/matter to me.
You have made two physical worlds. One is a thought constructed physical world, and the other is a material physical world where only physiology exists.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 08:33 am
JJ

I have not said anything about "thought" ! However if "life" and "cognition" are synonymous then "thought" is a subset of general life processes characterized by the use of language. The objectification of "the world" as existent independent of the life processes which objectifies it seems to be a dualistic fallacy encouraged by the severing of "words" from their original contexts.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:03 am
fresco-

Would you mind explaining that more fully.I'm not sure I dig your drift.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 12:27 pm
fresco wrote:
JJ

I have not said anything about "thought" ! However if "life" and "cognition" are synonymous then "thought" is a subset of general life processes characterized by the use of language. The objectification of "the world" as existent independent of the life processes which objectifies it seems to be a dualistic fallacy encouraged by the severing of "words" from their original contexts.

You are saying that there are two worlds. One is a world of language (as I meant 'thought') and the other a material world of physiology as 'life's processes'. You then say that the material world of physiology creates the world of language.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 12:41 pm
And thus language is a manifestation of physiology.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 08:47 pm
the dichotmomy between quantum physics and newtonian is not unlike that between "self" and the otherness recognized by sensate perception.

in each one there is a set of operational rules that fit which are absurd in the other context.

the larger, the physical world of our sensory experience is made absurd when the rules of our small, quantum world of the self are employed to understand it. nor do the operational rules of the large, physical world adequately describe consciousness.

in this case, it is not the mind-body dilemma, but the fundamental cosmos in which each exists that can not be reconciled by present means.

i know that i am beating a dead horse with my metaphors of Flatland, but emergent theory seems to me the best way to describe what I see. that each successive level of organization yields..."manifests" as spendius uses the word above, properties of existence hithertofor unpredicted by the rules of the lower level.

or, maybe i just read too much ken wilber for my own good.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 01:43 am
Spendius,

Kuvasz has made some good points which you might take as partial answers.

JJ

No - not two "worlds"...according to Capra (et al) we have life/cognition/self sustaining organizational structures interacting with "non-life". All descriptions of any section of this dynamic interactivity is necessarily incomplete in as much that "event" segmentation takes place for some observer goal. As kuvasz says reminds us, the whole is always greater than the sum of its parts.
To take an example which I often use, what we might call "a rock" will depend on syntagmatic and paradigmatic semantic links with particular observer activities.i.e. the "properties" of "rock" are in fact predictions of the outcomes of possible interactions with it...singularity,shade, weight, hardness etc. A rock does not possess such properties independent of oberver intertactions with it...there isno "rock"! ... there is (potential) "observer-rock interaction" which if carried out will shift the mutuality of oberver-observed from state1 to state2....e.g. "man seeking hammer grasps rock" to "man having hammered no longer notices discarded chipped rock".

Note that for the third party epistemological observer of the man/rock exhange both man and rock have "changed" but try telling the man that unless his name happens to be Heisenberg! :wink:

"Existence" depends on observer observed interaction....for lizards there may be no "rock" only "shelterness". Thingness requires a thinger...and this is simplistically resolved by theists (a la Berkeley) by evoking "God" as the ultimate observer.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 03:21 am
fresco wrote:
Spendius,

Kuvasz has made some good points which you might take as partial answers.

JJ

No - not two "worlds"...according to Capra (et al) we have life/cognition/self sustaining organizational structures interacting with "non-life". All descriptions of any section of this dynamic interactivity is necessarily incomplete in as much that "event" segmentation takes place for some observer goal. As kuvasz says reminds us, the whole is always greater than the sum of its parts.
To take an example which I often use, what we might call "a rock" will depend on syntagmatic and paradigmatic semantic links with particular observer activities.i.e. the "properties" of "rock" are in fact predictions of the outcomes of possible interactions with it...singularity,shade, weight, hardness etc. A rock does not possess such properties independent of oberver intertactions with it...there isno "rock"! ... there is (potential) "observer-rock interaction" which if carried out will shift the mutuality of oberver-observed from state1 to state2....e.g. "man seeking hammer grasps rock" to "man having hammered no longer notices discarded chipped rock".

Note that for the third party epistemological observer of the man/rock exhange both man and rock have "changed" but try telling the man that unless his name happens to be Heisenberg! :wink:

"Existence" depends on observer observed interaction....for lizards there may be no "rock" only "shelterness". Thingness requires a thinger...and this is simplistically resolved by theists (a la Berkeley) by evoking "God" as the ultimate observer.

Life/cognition/self that sustains structures which in turn interact with non-life, sounds like an elaboration on: mind sustaining matter which in turn affects matter.
So we have two material worlds and one mind world. One of these material worlds seems to be providing the link between mind and the other material world. But the link is not made; instead, the need for a link is placed at a further remove.
Observer 'activities'...what activity are we talking about in this case? activity of thought or activity of matter? Or do we forget about the distinction between mind and matter, and 'observer activities' means things people do. But then it can't simply mean 'things people do', because observer activity distinguishes between observer and observed, and the only activity that is thus distinguished from observer and observed is the activity of perceiving, or thought.

I think what is happening here is that although there is an attempt to get away from the mind/matter distinction the attempt does not succeed because the language or terms that are being used maintain these distinctions, albeit in an elaborate way.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 03:22 am
fresco-

Then Henry Miller's statement-"I don't understand women,I just f**k 'em" is a poetic version.Or "I don't understand rocks,I just make roads out of them".

Why is this inability to understand-to know,to name,to control-a source of aggravation?Is it an aspect of the self preservation instinct.Is it an arena in which competitive urges (sexual) are exercised?Is this intellectual kick boxing?

In that case wouldn't God's agents on earth (priests,shamans,philosophers) be celibate?And have no possessions.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 05:45 am
JJ

According to my reading of Capra (et al) "mind" is an invention or evocation of "thingness" of a particular complexity of "life". Note also that "the observer" need not need to be at "person level"....it could be at any level from "cell" to "society" asnd beyond.. We are indeed stuck with the limits of ordinary language in appreciating that range

The claim is that "life" is characterized not by its materiality but by a mathemetical description of a particular form of system dynamics. Thus materiality is a necessary but not sufficient condition for life.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 07:15 am
fresco wrote:
JJ

According to my reading of Capra (et al) "mind" is an invention or evocation of "thingness" of a particular complexity of "life". Note also that "the observer" need not need to be at "person level"....it could be at any level from "cell" to "society" asnd beyond.. We are indeed stuck with the limits of ordinary language in appreciating that range

The claim is that "life" is characterized not by its materiality but by a mathemetical description of a particular form of system dynamics. Thus materiality is a necessary but not sufficient condition for life.

It seems that the authors are re-phrasing the terms used within the mind/matter debate but are keeping the conceptual distinctions.
If we want to present life as a mathematical structure we still keep the concept of objects. And if we keep the observer we keep perception. I could agree that these terms are not used in this way, but the fact is it seems that they are being used in this way. This is because causal relationships have been suggested between observer, world and physiology. The knots are many but if they are unravelled I think we see the old distinctions.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 09:38 am
JJ and Spendius.

Allow me to direct you to a useful reference for your subsequent comment

http://www2.tcd.ie/Physics/Schrodinger/Lecture3.html#sec9
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 12:47 pm
fresco-

Schrodinger is manipulating images of trans-phenomenal numbers. The manipulation is abstract as well. He indulges a freedom to choose his own images because he has given up on seeking any actuality except that of conventional signs. He gives a symbolic interpretation in like manner to many esoteric systems of exclusiveness. The image of nature he believes himself to have created is actually an image of his own intellect. A sort of doppleganger in the realm of the "other".

As Spengler might have put it-he fails to sing.
0 Replies