Why do they get offended?

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 11:25 am
Mesquite,

A very intresting letter indeed. And, it's not the teaching of evolution or scientific theories about creation that I have a problem with. What I do have a problem with is the some that would offer it as not an alternative to the religious view, but to dismiss the religious view. So, I would tend to be in some agreement with you here. I believe everyone should have the information given to them from every possible aspect and then they decide.

Oh yes, it was on A2K. So far, I have been called a racist, a sexist, a bigot, oh yeah, and an idolator. But, since I know I am none of these, that doesn't bother me. The point I was making was that it seems Christians (believers) are constantly criticized for doing this kind of thing and I have yet to do it. Just an observation.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 12:30 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Mesquite,

A very intresting letter indeed. And, it's not the teaching of evolution or scientific theories about creation that I have a problem with. What I do have a problem with is the some that would offer it as not an alternative to the religious view, but to dismiss the religious view. So, I would tend to be in some agreement with you here. I believe everyone should have the information given to them from every possible aspect and then they decide.

I cannot tell from the above whether you agree with the sentiments in the letter or not.

In any event evolution is taught in schools as a scientific theory that explains the evidence that has been discovered to date. The evidence spans many scientific fields, geology, archeology, biology, genetics, etc. It is not taught to either support or dismiss a religious view of creation. It speaks only to evidence. The fact that some religious views of creation run counter to scientific evidence is not something that public schools should be involved in IMO, at least not in science classes.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 12:40 pm
I agree that it should be taught in science as long as it does not dismiss the creation "theory" also. In my own experience, when we were to first start the study of evolution, I remember quite clearly how my science book stated that it was attempting to disprove what the Bible said and scientifically prove evolution. I remember how upset I got about it and so did a lot of other students and parents. We then changed to a difference science book that didn't have such definitive statements.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 01:37 pm
I gotta tell you MA, that is the first I have ever heard of the charge of a school textbook that "stated that it was attempting to disprove what the Bible said and scientifically prove evolution." I find that to be quite incredible.

I can easily understand that some would interpret teaching that the earth is 4 billion years old, that the fossil record shows that life forms varied immensely over the years with new forms appearing and others going extinct, that homo sapiens appeared 50,000 to 100,000 years ago, as attempting to refute a literal interpretation of Genesis.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 01:41 pm
Mesquite,

Don't get me wrong here, okay? I cannot remember the exacts words used but it was a long time ago and was probably one of the first books that was attempting to introduce evolution. Yeah, I'm getting old. Anyway, any kind of statement that was in any kind of conflict of the Christian belief of Creation would be taken as trying to disprove the Bible. So, in all fairness, I cannot say that is what was happening. All I can say is how it was taken at that time.

So, no, I have no problem teaching the theory of evolution or the Big Bang Theory, etc. I have no idea if maybe God didn't use the Big Bang to create things.

Just try to keep in mind the obvious differences in our ages. I am 49 and I don't know how old you are but I am guessing younger than me.

So if you find it incredible that it stated that, you will understand how perhaps Christians at that point in time may have perceived just the introduction of the evolution theory as incredible.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 01:57 pm
No, you are just a youngster at 49. I did spend the first seven years of my military career in Shreveport/Bossier City La. beginning in 1960. So I am familiar with your neck of the woods in those days.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 02:01 pm
Wow! Small world! But, in those days, I lived in Illinois. I was just trying to make my position a bit clearer. Hope it did!

And I LOVE OUR TROOPS PAST, PRESENT, FUTURE! THANK YOU SO MUCH!
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 03:12 pm
MA, Darwin wrote his book Origin of the Species in 1859. It did cause quite a stir in those days. Since that time knowledge has been accumulating at an ever increasing rate.

I thought that the letter did a good job of bridging the gulf that grown between religion and science. I still do not have a feel for your take on the letter. would you recommend your pastor to be a signatory?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 03:16 pm
Wow, now that is a question I don't know if I can answer to your satisfaction, Mesquite.

First, let me say this. I am way more disposed to the creation in the Bible than I am by evolution. To be as honest as possible with you, I would have to tell you that I would believe that my pastor would say pretty much the same thing as I do. That both 'theories' are okay to teach as long as neither is forced. Now, I don't know for 100% he would say this. I can only go by what I know of him and what he teaches our church.

I believe more than anything that every person is responsible for their own ultimate decisions. I believe everyone should garner as much information on any issue as possible to make a well informed decision. But, I also realize that there is always going to be differing opinions and feelings.

I hope this answered you.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 04:14 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Wow, now that is a question I don't know if I can answer to your satisfaction, Mesquite.

First, let me say this. I am way more disposed to the creation in the Bible than I am by evolution. To be as honest as possible with you, I would have to tell you that I would believe that my pastor would say pretty much the same thing as I do. That both 'theories' are okay to teach as long as neither is forced. Now, I don't know for 100% he would say this. I can only go by what I know of him and what he teaches our church.

I believe more than anything that every person is responsible for their own ultimate decisions. I believe everyone should garner as much information on any issue as possible to make a well informed decision. But, I also realize that there is always going to be differing opinions and feelings.

I hope this answered you.

MA, the problem that I have with your position from a public school aspect is what I have highlighted above. You make it appear that there are two equal and competing theories. They are not, which is the point the letter was trying to address. One is based on evidence, one is based on faith. Furthermore, there is infinite variety and interpretation to faith based creation stories depending on which religion is the basis. Not at all a suitable subject for public schools except maybe as part of a non science class such as philosophy.

Science classes should only teach what we know based upon evidence and leave the ultimate meaning up to individual interpretation.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 05:18 pm
Well, I totally missed the point you were trying to stress.

But Mesquite, the creation "theory" as we have been calling it, is not, to me, a theory. It is fact. It is fact based on faith and the fact that I believe the Bible to be true. So, perhaps I will never be able to answer this the way you want it answered.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 06:42 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Well, I totally missed the point you were trying to stress.

But Mesquite, the creation "theory" as we have been calling it, is not, to me, a theory. It is fact. It is fact based on faith and the fact that I believe the Bible to be true. So, perhaps I will never be able to answer this the way you want it answered.

If it requires that a fact be based on faith and a belief that the Bible is "true"...

...Einstein, Newton, Hawking, Leonardo, and George Bernard Shaw all working together as a team would never be able to answer it.

If you want to have "faith"...or have "beliefs"...have 'em. They hurt nobody. But respectfully as possible, MA...if you want to pass off your "faith" or "beliefs" as "fact" simply because you have the "faith" or "beliefs"...you are going to elicit nothing but derision and laughter.

The argument doesn't fail because of any supposed inability on your part to adequately explain it, MA...but because it is an absurdity.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:08 pm
Frank,

Well, that's about the nicest way anyone has ever put that. LOL.

It's ok, no one has to believe what I believe. And, it only fails because proof is being asked for and I have given that proof and it is not accepted as such. So, agree to disagree here and we are all happy?

It's finally starting to rain here. Got all the cats inside except two feral ones. Set up a good shelter for them outside so all should be well. Just waiting for Rita to visit now.
0 Replies