Why do they get offended?

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 02:53 pm
Why do some people (who believe in a certain faith) get offended or angry when someone doesn't share the same belief as them? They suddenly get angry, and often times they feel the person w/ a different view as them is being obnoxious. Why does this happen?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,760 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Diane

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 03:09 pm
Because, imo, organized religion has a stake in being the most powerful. They feel vulnerable if what they consider the only religion is challenged by another or by unbelievers.

That is why orgaized relgion is so potentially dangerous.
Quote:
Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 04:44 pm
I think that everyone wants to believe that whatever faith or religion they follow is the right one. It's a human failing wanting to be right.

Now, I don't get angry with someone who does not share my beliefs (Christianity). The ones I do get angry at are the ones that resort to namecalling and damning people to hell. That has nothing to do with Christianity. We all have free will to choose what we believe and follow.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 09:36 pm
Re: Why do they get offended?
CarbonSystem wrote:
Why do some people (who believe in a certain faith) get offended or angry when someone doesn't share the same belief as them? They suddenly get angry, and often times they feel the person w/ a different view as them is being obnoxious. Why does this happen?

When your perch is precarious, every little breeze is frightening.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 04:51 am
Your guess is as good as mine as to why they suddenly start spewing so much venom. It would seem to me if they have all the tenets of the faith and/or religion which they hold up as their own; that, they would also be tolerant and accepting of other roads to spiritual bliss.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 09:01 am
Sturgis wrote:
Your guess is as good as mine as to why they suddenly start spewing so much venom. It would seem to me if they have all the tenets of the faith and/or religion which they hold up as their own; that, they would also be tolerant and accepting of other roads to spiritual bliss.

Sturgis, actually, you pretty much hit the nail on the head here. We are to be accepting and tolerant of other's choices. I am a Christian and I believe that what Christ teaches is that yes, we tell of Him and His teachings, but if the person we are telling that to gets angry or doesn't want to hear it we are to stop. We are only to plant the seed. I really hate it when I hear people say that all Christians try to force their beliefs down everyone's throats. That is not what we are supposed to do.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 06:44 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Sturgis wrote:

Sturgis, actually, you pretty much hit the nail on the head here. We are to be accepting and tolerant of other's choices. I am a Christian and I believe that what Christ teaches is that yes, we tell of Him and His teachings, but if the person we are telling that to gets angry or doesn't want to hear it we are to stop. We are only to plant the seed. I really hate it when I hear people say that all Christians try to force their beliefs down everyone's throats. That is not what we are supposed to do.

It's clear that *your* perch is not precarious. Which is why you are not threatened by other views.

Not all who are religious are fanatics. And there is nothing wrong with religion as long as people understand its boundaries, and respect the freedom of others to choose their own path.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 12:08 am
I interpret this as a way of defending their belief system. They need to filter out certain ways of thinking.

I want to make it clear: everyone does this. Religious or not. If you know which buttons to push; you can get someone up on their high horse! There are very few people who do not react, ever. Razz
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 03:59 pm
Re: Why do they get offended?
rosborne979 wrote:

This is really spot on in answering the question. Christianity (I use this as an example due to my experience with it) holds to the principle that the only way to heaven is through acceptance of Jesus etc etc. Without excepting Jesus as your savior you can't be forgiven of your sins, thus you can't enter heaven going instead to hell or someplace similar.

Christianity, by it's nature is also a shakey religion at best. It has very little in the way of factual evidence to back the system of beliefs it espouses, largely relying on faith to keep itself alive. It's also rather difficult to maintain the lifestyle that the bible instructs. When someone comes forward and begins pointing out the flaws in this particular belief system, some that have never questioned their faith in the past can become instantly defensive, because in truth they have either not learned enough to, or simply can't refute the claims.

You'll find that in many religions there are always a substantial number of people that can't fathom the possibility that everything they were taught in Sunday school may not be 100% accurate.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 04:17 pm
Questioner wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

This is really spot on in answering the question. Christianity (I use this as an example due to my experience with it) holds to the principle that the only way to heaven is through acceptance of Jesus etc etc. Without excepting Jesus as your savior you can't be forgiven of your sins, thus you can't enter heaven going instead to hell or someplace similar.

Christianity, by it's nature is also a shakey religion at best. It has very little in the way of factual evidence to back the system of beliefs it espouses, largely relying on faith to keep itself alive. It's also rather difficult to maintain the lifestyle that the bible instructs. When someone comes forward and begins pointing out the flaws in this particular belief system, some that have never questioned their faith in the past can become instantly defensive, because in truth they have either not learned enough to, or simply can't refute the claims.

You'll find that in many religions there are always a substantial number of people that can't fathom the possibility that everything they were taught in Sunday school may not be 100% accurate.

That's a pretty broad brush you are using on us Christians. I will ask you like I have asked others, why would I want to have faith in a God that I would believe needs to prove His existence of Himself to me? I am not defensive when someone asks me questions about my beliefs. The only thing that I get upset with at all is it seems that Christians are thrown in that stereotypical descritiption. Yes, some Christians do feel the way you describe. But, no, not all of us do.

I find it ironic that (it seems so but I can't believe all feel this way) non-believers have no problem telling us Christians how wrong we are about our beliefs but if any of us may say we believe differently then we are accused of forcing our beliefs down someone's throat because of it.

I do not believe that all non-believers hold this position, please understand that. I am merely stating what I have run across as the more often than not situation in these threads. Now, if you were to say the same thing about Christians, I would understand and probbably agree.

But please, NONE of us of ANYTHING are ALL alike.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 04:32 pm
Momma Angel wrote:

That's a pretty broad brush you are using on us Christians. I will ask you like I have asked others, why would I want to have faith in a God that I would believe needs to prove His existence of Himself to me? I am not defensive when someone asks me questions about my beliefs. The only thing that I get upset with at all is it seems that Christians are thrown in that stereotypical descritiption. Yes, some Christians do feel the way you describe. But, no, not all of us do.

Which is why I made it a point to say "some that have never questioned their faith in the past . . ."

Momma Angel wrote:

I find it ironic that (it seems so but I can't believe all feel this way) non-believers have no problem telling us Christians how wrong we are about our beliefs but if any of us may say we believe differently then we are accused of forcing our beliefs down someone's throat because of it.

I do not believe that all non-believers hold this position, please understand that. I am merely stating what I have run across as the more often than not situation in these threads. Now, if you were to say the same thing about Christians, I would understand and probbably agree.

My apologies, I failed to mention that I was a baptised believer for 26 years, teaching both children's and middle school bible study classes. I have since come to question the faith that I had given so much of my time and effort to, and, not arriving at any substantial answers to the questions I had, have more or less adopted a non-christian stance at viewing the world, and the faith I held.

I did not intend for my post to be a broad generalization of ALL believers. In fact, I thought I had made it clear that I was referring to a select group, not the whole. I also stated that I chose "Christianity" as an example because it is the belief I have more experience with, unlike Budhism or Islam.

There are those in the Christian faith that believe what they believe simply because their parents told them to do so when they were young. They believe in god because they were told to, not because they have felt in particular calling to do so.

Didn't mean to offend in the least, I hope you don't take it as such.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 04:38 pm
Questioner,

Oh no, you didn't offend me. It looks like I probably didn't read it the way you mean it! LOL. Guess my nerves are a bit wrought with Hurricane Rita on the way.

I totally agree with you about people believing just because they were told to do so. I am so fortunate. I was brought up in the Christian faith, but, it was something I did make my own decision about and did and still do feel it is God leading me.

I see you are new to A2K. Welcome!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:24 pm
A worry of mine is seeing the increase of religion in government. It was purposely separated from government, because history has proven that religious power especially, has been used to gain and to maintain power, not to provide a way to heaven. That is the reason I mentioned that old quote about power corrupting.

When I was young--a looong time ago--Christians for the most part, lived good lives and didn't intrude in the government except to vote according to their beliefs. My granny's bible was well worn and she lived her faith. What I have seen since Bush took office, is an alarming move toward including religion in government--mostly Christian involvement. Focus on the Family is an example--based on good intentions, but willing to use its power to direct decisions at a governmental level. This is a rich organization as are many of the others that have made their presence known in this adminisrtation.

Maybe most people believe that fundamental Muslims are evil. They are only a small sect of fanatic, murdering believers. They want to force their definition of religion on everyone. This is a common theme throughout history. I don't care how good you are, when power is achieved, we (humans) are changed and begin believing that power gives us special rights over and above 'average' people.

Read any history book and you will find a millenia of wars based on religion. A true respect for religion can only be based on every religion focusing on its teachings, not on gaining power, which is what evangelicalism has evolved into.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:29 pm
Diane wrote:
A worry of mine is seeing the increase of religion in government. It was purposely separated from government, because history has proven that religious power especially, has been used to gain and to maintain power, not to provide a way to heaven. That is the reason I mentioned that old quote about power corrupting.

When I was young--a looong time ago--Christians for the most part, lived good lives and didn't intrude in the government except to vote according to their beliefs. My granny's bible was well worn and she lived her faith. What I have seen since Bush took office, is an alarming move toward including religion in government--mostly Christian involvement. Focus on the Family is an example--based on good intentions, but willing to use its power to direct decisions at a governmental level. This is a rich organization as are many of the others that have made their presence known in this adminisrtation.

Maybe most people believe that fundamental Muslims are evil. They are only a small sect of fanatic, murdering believers. They want to force their definition of religion on everyone. This is a common theme throughout history. I don't care how good you are, when power is achieved, we (humans) are changed and begin believing that power gives us special rights over and above 'average' people.

Read any history book and you will find a millenia of wars based on religion. A true respect for religion can only be based on every religion focusing on its teachings, not on gaining power, which is what evangelicalism has evolved into.

Diane,

I do agree with your assessment in many ways. I guess maybe what has happened is both sides (those wanting God taken out and those that don't) are just pushing harder and harder?

I agree that we all need to just practice the truths of our faiths and not use it for personal gain or power. I firmly believe God did not intend for any of us to do that.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:54 pm
IMO the simple truth is that some people just have no 'respect' for other people these days wether they be religious or non-religious it does not matter. :wink:
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 04:11 pm
Hey girl! I just read your email.

I totally agree with you here! We all need more respect!

We are getting ready for Rita. She's going to be here soon!
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 07:03 pm
Hey Angel LOL Laughing you take it easy where you are girl,
No wind surfing aye, you may end up in NZ!!
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:08 pm
Diane wrote:

How odd your perception seems.

Christians "intrude" on government. All others simply participate, I suppose?

Religion is "potentially" dangerous. Could that not be said of almost anything?

Christians are so far removed from achieving Absolute Power , (that you warn us so solemnly about) that it's not even funny.

Secularists started using this 'Armageddon' scare tactic language years ago when evangelical Christians first began to get involved in politics -- most of them by registering and voting for the first time.

'Christians want to FORCE their views on you, so you'd better not give them your vote' we were told over and over.

The left has gone so far overboard with this ridiculous Fright Show, accusing conservative politicians of poisoning water and starving children that it's like the little boy who cried wolf.

Conservatives complained about it for years and Independents like me are sickened by it as well. We need two good, strong, focused and sane political parties, both proposing solutions to problems. This will help us achieve balance and a decent amount of correction to the excesses of either one. Unfortunately we don't have it and what you see is the result.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:15 pm
Hi Real Life,

This is what I meant by both sides pushing harder. But, I guess we feel we need to. Personally, I feel if someone is leading a God-led life, they will be more inclined to do the right things.

Unfortunatley, it's those particular Christians that are continually pointed out to us that take things to extremes that have made it difficult to get across how undangerous we really are.

What is dangerous to me is the fact that it is becoming such a widespread notion that Christians do 'intrude' and not merely practice our legal and religious freedoms. This is the part that I do not understand. Why are we intruding and non-believers are, as you say, 'practicing their rights?'

And, in my own experience with some, I have been accused of being the racist, bigot, sexist, etc., because I do not agree with the fact that God should be erased as it seems this is what some are trying to do.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 11:17 am
Momma Angel wrote:
This is what I meant by both sides pushing harder. But, I guess we feel we need to. Personally, I feel if someone is leading a God-led life, they will be more inclined to do the right things.

Since so much of "leading a God-led life" depends upon interpretation of what God wants from very ambiguous ancient texts, I cannot agree with your point.

Those who strap bombs to there bodies and detonate them in crowds, think they are God-led.

Mothers in Texas that killed their children thought they were God-led.

Confederates that fought to maintain slavery thought they were God-led.

Momma Angel wrote:
Unfortunatley, it's those particular Christians that are continually pointed out to us that take things to extremes that have made it difficult to get across how undangerous we really are.

What is dangerous to me is the fact that it is becoming such a widespread notion that Christians do 'intrude' and not merely practice our legal and religious freedoms. This is the part that I do not understand. Why are we intruding and non-believers are, as you say, 'practicing their rights?'

When one continually aligns themself ideologically with the extremists then one tends to be considered part of the danger.

The following open letter has been posted several times before in threads that you follow, but I have yet to see a response from you directed towards it. I think it comes directly to the point of the cause of much of the divisiveness. Do you agree or disagree with this letter.

Quote:
An Open Letter Concerning Religion and Science

"Within the community of Christian believers there are areas of dispute and disagreement, including the proper way to interpret Holy Scripture. While virtually all Christians take the Bible seriously and hold it to be authoritative in matters of faith and practice, the overwhelming majority do not read the Bible literally, as they would a science textbook.

Many of the beloved stories found in the Bible - the Creation, Adam and Eve, Noah and the ark - convey timeless truths about God, human beings, and the proper relationship between Creator and creation expressed in the only form capable of transmitting these truths from generation to generation. Religious truth is of a different order from scientific truth. Its purpose is not to convey scientific information but to transform hearts.

We the undersigned, Christian clergy from many different traditions, believe that the timeless truths of the Bible and the discoveries of modern science may comfortably coexist. We believe that the theory of evolution is a foundational scientific truth, one that has stood up to rigorous scrutiny and upon which much of human knowledge and achievement rests.

To reject this truth or to treat it as one theory among others is to deliberately embrace scientific ignorance and transmit such ignorance to our children. We believe that among God's good gifts are human minds capable of critical thought and that the failure to fully employ this gift is a rejection of the will of our creator.

To argue that God's loving plan of salvation for humanity precludes the full employment of the God-given faculty of reason is to attempt to limit God, an act of hubris.

We urge school board members to preserve the integrity of the science curriculum by affirming the teaching of the theory of evolution as a core component of human knowledge.

We ask that science remain science and that religion remain religion, two very different, but complementary, forms of truth."

http://www.able2know.com/go/?a2kjump=http://www.uwosh.edu/colleges/cols/religion_science_collaboration.htm

Momma Angel wrote:
And, in my own experience with some, I have been accused of being the racist, bigot, sexist, etc., because I do not agree with the fact that God should be erased as it seems this is what some are trying to do.
I cannot recall your being called a racist or sexist. Was this on A2K?

Edit: removed a line that was not part of the letter.
0 Replies