Bugzilla vs. MS Project, etc.

mrcolj

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 12:02 pm
At my office we're looking to implement just a simple collective system where everyone in the office can write in ideas, and they can be organized, prioritized, and triaged.

We're not set up like a shop, so I don't know if something like MS Project would be the answer. We're not a group of programmers, so I don't know if a jerry-rigging a bug tracking program like bugzilla would be the answer. But both are pretty close to what we're looking for.

Ideally, we'd like something open source with a good discussion board.

So what does anyone advise? MS Project? Bugzilla? Sunbird?

Again, we don't need a full-featured thing (although we're not necessarily against it)... all we really want is a small program which allows us to submit, organize, prioritize, and triage ideas... (just to keep the guy next to me from surfing the net, which he has been doing for 4 hours now, on my dime...)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,175 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 10:18 pm
Bugzilla is a bug-tracker only right? I don't think it has some of the other essential portions of project management.

An open source solution I use to manage my department at work is dotproject. But it, like Bugzilla, is not intuitive and unlike Bugzilla it has a lot of odd bugs.

But it's the best open source app I have found and once you figure out what it's trying to do it works decently.

I'm looking into having one of our programmers develop an app for this, as the ones out there do not satisfy me much.
0 Replies

mrcolj

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 11:15 am
Thanks for your response, Craven.

dotproject looks good. That's definitely on our top 3 list now. We keep debating, however, whether we want a full-featured program, or just a todolist/bugtracker. If we set up something like dotproject, we almost have to use the calendar, etc. which is a much greater redesign of our office flow than simply to implement a communal task list.

We really like the look and feel of Roundup, too. But none of us have used python. And I need to make sure you can put due dates on somewhere.

We also like phpbugtracker.

I think all the programs email you notifications when you've been assigned a task, and allow you to respond/discuss via email. I'll probably come up with other important factors before I launch.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 11:02 pm
I use dotproject without using the calendar (which has bugs that would preclude my use of it last time I checked).

I can confirm that dotproject emails notifications when assigned a task (this is an option that can be unchecked upon creation of the task).
0 Replies