DO YOU HAVE ANY TRIVIA?

Clary

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 12:35 am
Eva that is so gigglesome!
c.i. I came to this thread to get away from the pain of my last posting on my travel thread, not to be reminded of the brevity of life!
Still mercifully laughing at Charlie Chaplin!
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 01:02 am
Glad you liked it - it kept me amused for quite a while when I read it too.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 01:17 am
In Tennessee, women are not allowed to call a man for a date.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 04:37 pm
Charlie Chaplin's body was stolen by graverobbers in 1977. It was held for ransom, which widow Oona Chaplin refused to pay. Police later caught the graverobbers and recovered the body.

Oona Chaplin was Eugene O'Neill's daughter.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 04:48 pm
Speaking of strange marriage partners: British author D H Lawrence was married to the Red Baron's sister.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 10:50 am
Speaking of strange laws,

it is no longer the case, but 30 years ago Kansas City, MO had a law preventing minors from buying toy cap pistols. But there was no law at the time preventing them from buying real shotguns.

I heard an apochryphal story of a law in Tennessee (?) that made it illegal to shoot clay pigeons during the breeding season. It's just crazy enough to be true.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 02:20 pm
Humorist Will Rogers's Indian ancestors belonged to the Cherokee tribe. Rogers once quipped: "My ancestors didn't come on the Mayflower - they met the boat."
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 10:17 am
"Stewardesses" is the longest English word typed using only the left hand.

All mammals, including field mice and giraffes, have seven neck vertebrae.

Ulrich Zwingli, protestant reformer, died before he could be tried and convicted for heresy. His bones were dug up and burned.

King Edward II of England was tortured to death by inserting a red-hot iron in his rectum.

Jimmy Carter was the first US President born in a hospital.

The ship that picked up the survivors of the Titanic, the Carpathia, also was destined to sink. It was torpedoed in WW I. The Titanic's sister ship Brittanic also sank, hitting a mine in WW I. A third sister ship, the Olympic, was torpedoed in WW I but survived.

The Titanic's radio operator was the first to use the newly-adopted morse code distress signal "SOS".

Thomas Jefferson and John Adams both died on the same day, July 4th, 1826- exactly 50 years after the adoption of the Declaration of Independence.
0 Replies