DO YOU HAVE ANY TRIVIA?

Equus

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 09:17 am
Nebraska is the only state without a bicameral legislature.

Louisiana is the only state whose legal system is not based on English Common Law (Napoleonic Code).

Vermont is the only state without a city over 50,000 population.

The state with the most evenly-distributed population is Wyoming.

The state with the shortest official motto is Rhode Island "Hope".

The state with the longest official name is "The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations"

Four states: Massachusetts, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Kentucky are officially Commonwealths rather than states.

Cimarron county, Oklahoma, is the only county to border on four other states (Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas)

Only two places in the United States have state, county and city names identical: New York City, New York County (Manhattan), New York state; and Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma State.

Saint Louis, Baltimore, Carson City, and about 60 towns in Virginia are not part of any county.

The largest city in the United States that is not a county seat (or independent city) is Kansas City, MO.

Louisiana and Alaska technically do not have counties. Louisiana has parishes and Alaska has districts and boroughs.

The largest county by area (not counting Alaska) is San Bernardino County, Calif. Including Alaska it is the Yukon-Koyukuk District. The smallest county by area is New York County (Manhattan) New York.

By population, the largest county is Los Angeles County, CA. The smallest county by population is Loving County, TX.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 02:50 pm
The only state with a one-syllable name is Maine.
0 Replies

Tommy

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 03:07 pm
So I met this blade in a bar. She said:

"I'll do anything you want for $100"

So I said: "Paint my House"
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 05:36 pm
Delaware still has an equity court system (New Jersey has the shadow of one, but Delaware still has separate courts for equitable relief, such as preliminary injunctions, as opposed to legal relief, which would be monetary damages). Delaware is also the only state whose boundaries are the product of a legal ruling (New Jersey vs. Maryland). There are three counties in Delaware: New Castle, Kent and Sussex. New Castle (which contains Wilmington) has more people than the other 2 counties combined.

Delaware, the First State AKA the Blue Hen State (I went to Law School there, hence I learned this stuff).
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 06:51 pm
In New Mexico, an individual can prosecute a misdemeanor.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 04:24 am
Roger -- how is this done, as a practical matter?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 05:26 am
I don't know anyone who has done it, so I'll beg off. I do know that the individual prosecuting the case must do it himself, without an attorney in court. The defendant may have a lawyer. I believe New Mexico is unique in this respect.

One semester of business law was required for my associate's degree and we were lucky enough to have the San Juan County district attorney as an instructor, and took advantage of the opportunity.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 05:51 am
Jacksonville, Florida is west of Cleveland. Tallahassee, Florida is west of Detroit.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 03:57 pm
And if you get on a plane in Detroit and fly south, the first foreign country you'll cross is Canada. Check it out on a map if you don't believe me.
0 Replies

Tommy

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 11:04 am
All the retired Astro-monkeys are being 'put out to grass' in Florida.
0 Replies

stike

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 11:22 am
the eastern most point of the US of A is in... ALASKA.

if you go due south from the esternmost part of Maine, you pass entirely WEST of South America.

when you travel from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific through the Panama Canal, you travel EASTERLY (south-east, actually).
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 03:12 pm
Other than Alaska, the northernmost point in the US is near Angle Inlet, Minnesota. It is on a sliver of land inaccessible from the rest of Minnesota except by boat or by driving through Canada.

Winston Churchill's mother was an American.

Winona Ryder's godfather was Timothy Leary.

D.H. Lawrence married the Red Baron's (Manfred von Richtoffen's) sister.

Thomas Edison's dying breath is preserved in a glass tube at the Henry Ford Museum.

The nation of Liechtenstein, itself only 67 square miles, claims 300 square miles of territory in the Czech Republic.

Queen Elizabeth II has training as an auto mechanic.

Four US Presidents went by their middle names: Stephen Grover Cleveland, Thomas Woodrow Wilson, John Calvin Coolidge. Grant's birth name was Hiram Ulysses Grant and changed to Ulysses Simpson Grant at West Point. Two other US Presidents changed their names: Gerald Ford was born Leslie King and Bill Clinton was born William Blythe.

Equatorial Guinea is not on the Equator.

The largest city north of the Arctic Circle is Murmansk, Russia.

The first country to observe the beginning of the 21st Century was
the Pacific Island republic of Kiribati; which despite its spelling is pronounced Kiribass.

Other than Vatican City and Rome, only one other pair of countries have capital cities adjacent to one another: Brazzaville, Republic of the Congo and Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo (Zaire).

Napoleon Bonaparte is credited with the invention of carbon paper.

The lowest country on Earth is the Maldive Islands, where the highest point of land is about 8 feet above sea level at high tide.

Urumqi, the capital of Xinjiang Province, China, is said to be the city on Earth furthest from any ocean.

Great Britain, the first country to issue postage stamps in 1840, is the only country in the world that does not put the name of their country on its stamps.

David Rice Atchison, Senator from Missouri, was arguably President of the United States for one day on Sunday March 4, 1849 because President-Elect Zachary Taylor refused to be inaugurated on the Sabbath.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2003 07:40 pm
i got rid of most of my trivia when my brain crashed
0 Replies

Jose Cuervo

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:20 am
Thunderstorm season again here in North Texas. This is from today's Fort Worth Star-Telegram-

"How big can hail get? The largest hailstone in the U.S. was measured at 7 inches in diameter, with a circumference of 18.75 inches, in Aurora, Neb. on June 22, 2003. That's almost as big as a soccer ball."

Another good reason not to live in Nebraska!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:44 am
Here's some useless trivia that's stuck in my head:
Originally, on The Golden Girls sitcom, Betty White was set to play the hotsy-totsy character Blanche and Rue McClanahan was to play ditsy Rose but they were switched to avoid typecasting. Remember, Betty White had played the horny cook show hostess on Mary Tyler Moore's show and Rue McClanahan was the ditzy next door neighbor on 'Maude.'
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 03:23 pm
LOONY LAWS
In Los Angeles you cannot bathe two babies in the same bathtub at the same time.
In San Francisco, if you are walking an elephant down Market Street, it must be on a leash.
In California, no animals are allowed to mate publicly within 500 yards of a school, tavern, or place of worship.
And, most puzzling of all:
In Alaska, looking out of an airplane window at a moose is illegal.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 09:48 am
There are more dead people in Colma, California than living. 3/4 of the city's land area is taken up by cemeteries.

John Dillinger had just watched the movie "Manhattan Melodrama" when he was shot by the feds.

The movie theater that Lee Harvey Oswald was hiding in was showing "War is Hell" at the time of his capture.

In the introduction to the cartoon series "The Flintstones", they go to a drive-in theater, which is showing a movie called "The Monster".

The first live-action TV show to depict a husband and wife sharing a bed was "The Munsters." The Flintstones had done it earlier.

The "33" which appears on the label of all Rolling Rock beer bottles allegedly was a tribute to the repeal of prohibition in 1933. In reality, 33 was the word count in the marketing blurb on the label, which a proofreader had left on the copy submitted to the printer.

John Marshall, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court in the early 1800's, was Thomas Jefferson's cousin. The crack in the Liberty Bell was allegedly caused tolling Marshall's death.

Actor Orson Bean is a cousin of President Calvin Coolidge.

George Washington's teeth were made of ivory, not wood. Washington virtually never wore wigs, although it was the custom at the time.

Juneau, the capital city of Alaska, cannot be reached by automobile.

The island nation of Kiribati was the first country to experience the turn of the millennium.

Thomas Selfridge was the first human to die in a plane crash. He was a passenger on a Wright Brothers airplane, investigating the possible military use of the airplane. Orville Wright, the pilot, was badly hurt in the crash but recovered.

Canning of food for storage was invented over a hundred years before the invention of the can opener.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 10:47 am
The last one makes you mind boggle....
More loony laws (or are they?):
In GERMANY all office workers have to have a view of the sky, however small.
In LONDON it is illegal to drive a car without sitting in the front seat.
In BRITAIN anyone sticking chewing gum to the underside of a seat on the upper deck of a bus can be detained for 24 hours.
In LIVERPOOL it is illegal for a woman to go topless in public unless she is employed as a clerk in a tropical fish store.
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 09:45 pm
Charlie Chaplin once entered a Charlie Chaplin lookalike competition anonymously and came third.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 10:11 pm
We all have trivia; our life on this planet.
0 Replies