help needed with usb/pen drive problem

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 11:51 pm
i downloaded some songs from the net yesteday and also some files from and took it in my pen drive home, but when i open it all my folders are empty and i cant even delete them and this message shows when i try to delete em

i dont know what to do with this can anybody help?
is my USB/pen drive damaged??

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/552/help4ct.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,292 • Replies: 8
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 07:18 am
Just a quick thought here - judging from the filename shown in that screenshot; given that it appears to be in the Cyrillic aphabet, and both the progress box and the error box show the " " "empty box" which shows up for unsupported characters or fonts, I'd say there's a fair chance you got ahold of an infected file. If it were my call, I'd just bite the bullet and format the pen drive, though you might want to scan it with your antivirus. Prolly not much you can do about the missing files you had there, unless you have a decent 3rd-party data recovery app. Stll, I'd just try formatting the drive - if it formats fine, and you can write to and read from it following the format, the drive is fine. If it won't format, or if following a format you still can't write or read, then I'd say the drive is toast - it happens; they fail, and I've even seen dead ones new-out-of-the-box.
0 Replies

crucifixation

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 09:36 am
okay thanks

and how do i format the drive?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 08:55 pm
Just connect it to your machine, right-click "My Computer" on your desktop, select "Explore", locate the pen drive, right-click on it, and select "Format".
0 Replies

crucifixation

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 11:37 am
kay

thanks again
0 Replies

karth83

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 12:42 am
I am also
I am also having the same problem with my usb pen drive. It is a 512MB usb drive. It is holding data till 256MB fine. But any data over 256MB (single file or multiple small files) all data are getting corrupted like the same figure above. I have tried formatting it many times, changed partitions in linux also, still it is not working. I think my drive is fault. Pls some one help me.
Pen Dirve: Kingston 512MB data traveller

Thank u all in advance.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 06:22 am
Sounds to me as though its a faulty drive - if the same thing occurs across different computers, you can just about bet the problem is with the pen drive itself. If its still in warranty, and you otherwise can meet the warranty requirements - proof of purchase, etc, return it for a new one.
0 Replies

crucifixation

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 02:54 pm
Re: I am also
karth83 wrote:
I am also having the same problem with my usb pen drive. It is a 512MB usb drive. It is holding data till 256MB fine. But any data over 256MB (single file or multiple small files) all data are getting corrupted like the same figure above. I have tried formatting it many times, changed partitions in linux also, still it is not working. I think my drive is fault. Pls some one help me.
Pen Dirve: Kingston 512MB data traveller

Thank u all in advance.

exactly the same thing here 512 mb Kingston
i think its not an original product

it was not mine, mine was working fine, no problem at all
this happens to my friend's, when i use his
0 Replies

karth83

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 07:39 am
Thank u all
Thanks for the info. I will get replaced this drive.
0 Replies