Increasing partition without losing data

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 12:32 pm
I have a 200gb harddrive with a 130gb partition, the other 66gb is unpartitioned. I was wondering if its possible to repartition that 130gb to the full 200 (so theres only 1 partition on the drive) without losing the data
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 805 • Replies: 8
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 12:44 pm
You can do it with a 3rd party product like Partition Magiic. Windoze (which I'm assuming you are using) doesn't have the capability to do it on it's own.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 12:45 pm
Quite easy with PartitionMagic. This software allows you to do whatever you want with partitions.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 01:02 pm
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 03:19 pm
While it certainly is possible, using any of a number of 3rd-Party applcations, to repartition an already-in-use, data-populated drive, given the right application, the deft use of that application, and a bit of luck, its my opinion doing so rarely is a good idea. I happen to think it best to partition a drive as desired prior to installing operating system, programs, and/or other data. I've managed it successfully, and I've had difficulties ranging from perplexing but eventually resolvable annoyances all the way up to spectacular, fix-it-with-format-and-re-install failures.

My general recommendation would be to not attempt it, but if you must, back up everything of any importance to you before beginning.

And have your operating system install disc and product key handy, along with backups of all necessary drivers and the installation media for any peripherals and 3rd-Party programs you use. For 3rd-Party programs, be sure you also have any product key or other validation code that might be necessary as well.

Either way, good luck.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 03:32 pm
You can partition the additional space as a new drive letter without affecting the current partition. Then use it to store or archive data.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 03:36 pm
That ain't what he's after, DD - he's looking to conjoin 2 existing partitions into a single full-drive partition. As I said, it can be done, but its nit-picky tricky.
0 Replies

MZathras

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 08:36 pm
My technique is to obtain another 200GB drive and install it in the system then use PowerQuest or Ghost to copy the original drive to the new drive. During which you can increase the size of the target partition.

I know that means obtaining another drive. But it will absoultly save or protect your old data/system and give you a way to revert if you have a problem.

Also you can partition the 66gb as stated before and create a folder that will show up on the "C:" drive. You can then appear to have just one partition by hiding the D: partition in the explorer.

This will work unless you need storage that is contiguous and assuming you are using XP
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 10:08 am
timberlandko wrote:
That ain't what he's after, DD - he's looking to conjoin 2 existing partitions into a single full-drive partition. As I said, it can be done, but its nit-picky tricky.

I saw that he asked about how to extend his primary partition. I was pointing out that there are easier, safer options that will allow him to use the additional 66 GB of unpartitioned space.
0 Replies