unable to access microsoft updates

dadpad

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 05:58 am
for some time now i have been unable to access microsoft updates. system is microsoft XP home with internt explorer i believe service pack 2 is installed connection is ADSL
heres what i do
control panel
windows update---> welcolme screen
click on express ---->checking for updates
install updates, download size 24.7 mb estimated time 27 min
click on install updates
eventually a pop up --->the updates are being installed
installation status has a flashing cursor and preparing for downloads remain blank.
I have not waited the estimated 27 min but waited around 10 min and nothing appears to be happening
ctrl alt del---> this program is not responding:

your suggestions will be much appreciated
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 834 • Replies: 7
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 03:22 pm
I had a problem with this a couple months ago. I started a thread which you can find by clicking the following link:
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57694&highlight=

You need to have service pack 4 downloaded or windows won't service you. At least, that's what I was told. Read through that thread.......
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 03:32 pm
Service Pack 4 is specific toWindows 200, and does not apply to Windows P, for which the current latest Service Pack is SP2.

Anyhow, first try disabling your security and privacy software - firewall, antivirus, ad or pop-up blockers, anything of the ssort, the visit the update website and see what happens. From the thread littlek mentioned, Here are a few more "try it and see" ploys. Let us know how you make out.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 04:43 pm
OOpsie..... listen to Timber.
0 Replies

MZathras

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 08:42 pm
You need to load the new Microsoft Update Service after you do what Timber recomends (open the ports). With the update service loaded the Firewall issues are not as great.
0 Replies

MZathras

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 08:46 pm
One more thing before you open the ports I would boot in safe mode and run an up to date antivirus software scan of the system while not on the network.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 09:23 pm
Not much point opening ports on a disabled firewall, I wouldn't think. The thing to do is shut down the firewall and any scanning/blocking software and try the Windows Update site. If it works fine with the security and privacy stuff shut off, you know the problem lies there. If it still doesn't work, the problem is elsewhere. Naturally, before doiing anything else, enable everything again before leaving Windows update or doing anything else with your machine. If it works with the stuff shut off, enable one privacy/security app and see what happens the next time you visit Windows Update. Continue enabling stuff untill you find the problem. I'm gonna guess, at this point, that if it is a resident software issue, its the firewall. The configuration settings for many (but not all) firewalls have a "Trusted Sites" provision; add Windows update to that, and you're set - if the problem turns out to have been the firewall. Of course, ad blockers, pop-up stoppers, and even some antivirus applications can interfere with downloads.

And, as mentioned in the link I provided earlier, even an imprperly installed update or service Pack can interfere with future update downloads. Read the articles linked to in that post for more info.

If you're using Windows XP Service Pack 2, and relying on Windows Firewall (better than no firewall at all), have a look at Manually Configuring Windows Firewall in Windows XP Service Pack 2

Oh, and if its of interest, Windows Update uses Port 80, same as your browser (its a web page, after all), and Port 443 (for SSL).

Of course, all this is just my opinion - anyone is welcome to take it as they wish; I'm certainly not The God of Computers :wink:
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 06:25 am
Thank you all for your assistance. I have attempted to use the update site with all anti virus/firewall/yuckware programs disabled. I was unsucessfull.

i have looked at all the information links you have provided but at this stage am not confidant enough to try anything (know your limits). I will reread and see if i can understand these more fully.

one thing i did notice:

after turning the fire wall off in
network & internet connections ----> change firewall settings= your pc is not protected

i then looked at
control panel----> security center icon-----> firewall is on

so one indicator is saying off one is saying on ????? at the same time

should i be telling you what firewall antivirus programs i have or not.

I have reset all antivirus firewall spyware to on status
0 Replies