Why Is Hands-On Charity More Satisfactory than Sending $?

flushd

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 05:05 pm
I wonder if part of it is that people don't know what to do to best help.
Pure ignorance. Their hearts may be in the right place; but their brains don't know what plan of action to take. It takes a lot of organization and communication to get everyone on the same track.

Americans seem to be so good at buying things. It's what they know how to do. (I'm not trying to be insulting, it's just the truth in my eyes).

Money and goods are needed: but as anyone who has worked in a relief situation will tell you: we need people! People to help organize, spread information, to bring other people's attention to the cause, to do the hands-on work. Without those people ready to step up : all the money in the world is useless. Money is just resources: it needs to be translated. In a crisis situation, there are also emotional and mental needs to be met that money can not buy. They are as valid as the physical needs.

thanks
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 05:12 pm
This week a local second harvest foodbank outlet did not get a single donation of food or money - first time in the 15 year history of the agency. All attention is on the south, hope this is temporary.... I would hate to think of a long term problem and how it might impact the hungry and homeless locally here and other communities.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 05:18 pm
hey husker,

That has happened in my area as well. A lot of canadian relief has gone to international causes lately, and many of the local causes have been suffering for it.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 05:43 pm
flushd oh mythe avatar LOL
0 Replies