Why Is Hands-On Charity More Satisfactory than Sending $?

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 11:38 am
In the last ten days I've read over and over "I wish I could do something for the hurricane victims besides just send money.

Is it that like most Americans we are unaccustomed to having a servant task and delegating hands-on labor to other people?

Why is spending $25 at Wal-Mart for relief supplies at retail prices more satisfactory than sending the Red Cross or the Salvation Army a $25 check? The big relief agencies can buy in bulk--and get discounts. They can make these purchases close to the disaster area which means both saving transportation costs and boosting the local economy.

Do you distrust the Red Cross after the spending confusion after 9/22? Do you feel the Salvation Army is "too religious"? Do you doubt the ethics and efficiency of any large charitable organization?

Do you feel that your charitable impulse should be rewarded with as much personal satisfaction as possible?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,380 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 12:02 pm
Noddy, as you know, I will never trust the Red Cross again. Frankly, I would rather give money to folks here and know that it is helpful, than take a chance that whatever I donate will never reach that person.

I am rather surprised that there hasn't been a clothing drive here or some such thing for people who cannot find a denotation site nor get to it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 12:06 pm
In our local newpaper the charity organizations and shelters have been so overwhelmed with donations of goods and clothing they have asked people to stop. There's nowhere to put it. Seriously. We have money being raised at a frantic pace from every direction and rental agents are donating whole houses.

http://www.newsobserver.com/front/story/2792334p-9230709c.html
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 12:18 pm
I believe it, bear. Americans and other countries have been very generous to the victims. I guess I just have a strange philosophy about giving.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 12:21 pm
BM
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 12:23 pm
having worked with some of the victims personally..
i can tell you from their mouths,
they want and need human contact.
Money doesnt push water out of a town. People do.
All of the available money in the WORD can be waiting for someone.. but if noone offers them a car ride to get to it , it does them no good.

Most of these people just want someone to hold their baby so they can go to the bathroom. Take a shower. hug them because they lost their family. Help them with their laundry. Give them rides around the new city they are in so they can get thier barrings straight. Someone to talk to them about normal every day things and give them a break from the 24-7 tragedy reflections.
Money doesnt buy that.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 12:40 pm
Shewolf wrote:

Quote:
Most of these people just want someone to hold their baby so they can go to the bathroom. Take a shower. hug them because they lost their family. Help them with their laundry. Give them rides around the new city they are in so they can get thier barrings straight. Someone to talk to them about normal every day things and give them a break from the 24-7 tragedy reflections.
Money doesnt buy that.

Actually money does by hands-on relief. Local donations have paid for the gas and living expenses of two Searcy and Rescue teams, three carloads of trained Red Cross volunteers and a trained delegation from the Salvation Army.

Good will is wonderful--but training trumps good will in disaster relief.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 12:41 pm
Now that kicky is unemployed he'd probably be happy to help some of these people with the hands on release that only sweet sweet love can bring.....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 01:11 pm
Noddy-
that is very true.
Money buys ALOT of man power and human contact for these people.

there is such a huge need for it though that here in austin , at least, you can just walk into the convention center with a valid ID and be checked in and put to work.
The money people donate are funding the security guards and the computer systems they use to ' check someone out' before they volunteer , to ensure the safety of the victims, volunteers and anyone else there for that matter.

I guess I forget how much money is behind everything..
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 01:43 pm
Shewolf--

I don't necessarily like the idea, but:

Money makes the mare go.

Even dedicated volunteers need gas money, a reasonably dry place to sleep and three MRE's a day.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 01:56 pm
I friend of mine is waiting to join the 100 German volunteers that are already in New Orleans - like those, he has left work quite a few times to help personally at floods etc.

I think, it's the fact that you see the results of your help in the same moment, which makes the difference, plus the personal contact.

(Since I had been professionally engaged in 'helping', I've personally a different approach to that.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 02:06 pm
Btw: The Chronicle of Philanthropy newspaper, which tracks the contributions, has calculated that Americans have given at least $587m.

This compares with $239m in the 10 days after the 9/11 attacks, and $163m collected nine days after the tsunami.

source: BBC
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 03:06 pm
One thing about the Red Cross we've learned the hard
way. If you don't specifically make a notation on your
check that this money is given to such and such
relief effort, than the cash will go into the general Red Cross
funds held for other purposes as well.

When San Diego experienced those terrible brush fires
last year and thousands of homes were lost, people donated
heavily into the Red Cross funds assuming it will be used
to help the fire victims. Wrong! Most of the collected monies went into a general fund for the Red Cross.

Dto. for the World Trade Center victims
Quote:
At the World Trade Center the American Red Cross went nowhere near Ground Zero. There was no money to be raised at Ground Zero. There were no TV cameras. ARTI crawled below the rubble while the American Red Cross collected 6 billion dollars in extra cash beyond their usual multi billion dollar collection of donations. They still have most of that cash.

http://www.amerrescue.org/red_cross.htm
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 03:13 pm
So if you choose "Hurricane Katrina" for your donation purpose online you are saying it goes somewhere other than that?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 03:16 pm
No Bella: if you specify it under "Hurricane Katrina"
then the funds will be allocated to the hurricane relief fund.

If you don't specify, then it will go into the general Red Cross fund.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 03:18 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
No Bella: if you specify it under "Hurricane Katrina"
then the funds will be allocated to the hurricane relief fund.

If you don't specify, then it will go into the general Red Cross fund.

Ah, ok. Just checking.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 03:21 pm
I can see--and envy--the satisfaction of working directly with the victims of the disaster. What I have trouble seeing is the people who would rather buy $25 worth of goods (which may or may not be useful and for which transport may or may not be available) than write a check for $25.

One place where contributions of goods is helpful is making up packages for members of the armed forces serving in hardship zones who can't do their own shopping.

Calamity Jane--

A woman active in fund raising for our alma mater said the problem with restricted giving (For Katrina victims, for scholarships, for library books) is no one ever earmarks a gift for plumbing or garbage disposal or the electric bill.

Charity has lots of hidden expenses which don't necessarily tug at a donor's heart strings, but those bills still have to be paid.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 03:31 pm
Noddy -

Every non-profit organisation can deduct a percentage
of donated funds and allocate it to operating expenses -
that is perfectly legitimate.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 03:34 pm
Slightly off topic, but not really...

A few years back I walked with my children as they went door to door collecting for UNICEF. Many people donated and the girls were feeling pretty good about what they were doing. At one house the husband said, "UNICEF? Aren't they pro-abortion and advocate birth control?" He yelled up the stairs to wifey who concurred that UNICEF was on the hit list of charities their church had told them to avoid. He proceeded to give my girls a lecture about why they shouldn't be soliciting for murderers. This was a neighbor who we knew just well enough to ring his doorbell. The girls looked at me with "HUH?" on their faces. I said thanks anyway and we went on to the next house.

My point is that some people are so bug-dust about how every penny of the money they donate is used within an organization they'd rather buy a toothbrush and know a toothbrush has been purchased than take a chance on donated moneys being used for administrative or morally objectionable purposes.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 04:15 pm
Calamity Jane--

Thanks for the information.

J_B--

Good point.
0 Replies