Against 'rights'

Amigo

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 02:40 pm
spendius wrote:
Amigo-

There are rights.If people say they have rights then they have rights.All I am saying is that I believe they would be better off in themselves if they thought of them as privileges.Rights seem to me to be something like arms and legs:something one doesn't feel grateful for.I don't see how one could feel grateful for rights and I think a sense of gratitude for all the benefits we have,such as orderly government, would alter the tone of our lives for the better.When rights clash there is no solution whereas a clash of privileges can more readily be negotiated.

Privileges derive from our political systems.

Would you say the American public have a right to lay the cost of Katrina onto the deficit and let their grandchildren pay for it as was suggested on Fox News last night or would you class it as a privilege.
Neither
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 05:13 pm
Amigo-

Well laying it on the grandchildren would fit snugly with the right to the pursuit of happiness surely?
0 Replies