Against 'rights'

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 12:43 pm
Not at all. You contend that the implemenation of the principle that all men are created equal and that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, and that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of hapiness would result in chaos. That is bullshit. Legislation and jurisprudence in this country have been predicated upon those assumptions since 1776. To contend that they lead to chaos is pathetically absurd.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 12:47 pm
Re: Against 'rights'
joefromchicago wrote:
John Jones wrote:
1. I am not saying that people 'have no rights'. I am saying that nobody can 'have' rights.
2. I am not saying that there are no rights. I am saying that rights are not a possession.

If people do not "have" rights and rights are not possessions, then how can people transfer or sell rights?

For instance, suppose I am an author. Under the law, I have a copyright in the works that I create. I can also sell, give, lend, pledge, bequeath, or otherwise transfer that right to someone else. How can I do all of that if I do not "possess" that copyright?

John Jones wrote:
3. I am not saying that other people grant me my rights. I am saying that the burden of a right is borne by those who do not claim a right. When I say 'I have the right' I ALWAYS appeal to someone who can, or could, make a difference regarding what it is that I want to do. Now then, is it always pertinent to make an appeal to rights?

I'm not sure if this makes any sense. If you're saying that the "burden" of a right is on the person who is the object of the claim of right, then that might make some sense (although I'd like to know what you mean by "burden"). If not, then I have no idea what you're trying to say.

People can transfer or sell rights where the burden of the fulfillment of the right is laid against other people. I do not possess a right myself. There is no property I have that I can present as a right. You possess a copyright only as far as others take the 'burden of the right' (pursue a claim on your behalf). It is upon these others that the claim or right is made against.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 12:56 pm
Re: Against 'rights'
John Jones wrote:
Nobody has rights. Nobody 'has' rights. Nobody can be said . . . blah, blah, blah, etc. . . . (c) (emphasis added)

Now there's something hilarious he added after his substantial editing. Having asserted that no one has rights, he wants to make damned sure no one steals his copyright. Irony is not dead, but it goes among us unrecognized.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:03 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
spendius wrote:
I would agree with this-

Quote:
It's really bad form, by the way, to edit your post so substantially after people have read it and begun to respond. It shows bad faith, and it implies a lack of coherence in expression.

Editing typing is okay.But I don't claim the right to demand it.It is just "bad form".

Hey...why pass up a chance to agree with both Set and Spendius!!! Ya don't get a chance like this often. Twisted Evil

And I will make a small revision also:

It is more than just "bad form." Often...I am not saying necessarily in this case...it is an attempt to deceive.

Set apparently read the original...and I don't know how much or how significantly it was changed....but stuff like that should really be done by a separate, explanatory post. Editing should be used to correct very minor mistakes and typos....particularly if several minutes have passed since the original post was submitted.

Your last two sentences were ambiguous, if not contradictory. Correct them. Now then, you and your mate -
Set apparently read the original...yes, and understood only the amended text. I am applauded. He made the false allegation that there was a change in meaning. Meanwhile, you struggle to imagine that you are not contributing to an internet forum but are marking heavily researched doctorates. Twit.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:03 pm
Setanta wrote in response to my saying that his previous post was ambiguous-

Quote:
Not at all.

I was referring to the post.He could have been agreeing with me or disagreeing with me.I wasn't sure which.

Isn't it a pity though that he can't resist remarks like "pathetically absurd" simply because he can't even see what I'm trying to say however ineptly I say it.The literal interpretation of any code is well known to lead to chaos.That's why we reject written constitutions and the idea has been debated.
They provide feeding frenzies for lawyers.
Another problem with "pathetically absurd" is the sheer paucity of argument.It is also gross.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:09 pm
Gross though it may be, the absurdity of your contention then, and this subsequent contention that "we reject written constitutions" (rather a bit too much to see you using the royal pejorative), induces in me a sense of pathos. It is by no means correct to baldy assert that the literal interpretation of any code is well known to lead to chaos.

In short, you have failed to support an argument that adherence to the proposition that all men are created equal, and that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, and that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness leads to chaos. Vague appeals to what "we reject" and unsubstantiated contentions about what is well known do not acheive that end.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:10 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
spendius wrote:
I would agree with this-

Quote:
It's really bad form, by the way, to edit your post so substantially after people have read it and begun to respond. It shows bad faith, and it implies a lack of coherence in expression.

Editing typing is okay.But I don't claim the right to demand it.It is just "bad form".

Hey...why pass up a chance to agree with both Set and Spendius!!! Ya don't get a chance like this often. Twisted Evil

It is more than just "bad form." Often...I am not saying necessarily in this case...it is an attempt to deceive.

Set apparently read the original...and I don't know how much or how significantly it was changed....but stuff like that should really be done by a separate, explanatory post. Editing should be used to correct very minor mistakes and typos....particularly if several minutes have passed since the original post was submitted.

Your last two sentences were ambiguous, if not contradictory. Slow down then correct them. Now then, you and your mate -
Set apparently read the original...yes, and understood only the amended text. I am applauded. He made some false allegation that there was a change in meaning, but he couldn't be sure as he did not understand what I wrote. Meanwhile, your texts more often than not, appear to be written by someone who fancies himself to be marking heavily researched doctorates (badly), rather than contributing to an internet forum. Twit.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:10 pm
John Jones wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
spendius wrote:
I would agree with this-

Quote:

Your last two sentences were ambiguous, if not contradictory.

No they are not. Read 'em again. If you still think they are ambiguous or contradictory...get someone to help you.

Quote:
Correct them.

No need to.

Quote:
Now then, you and your mate -
Set apparently read the original...

I did not read the original....and if you read my remarks...you will see that I acknowledged that I didn't by acknowledging that I did not know how significant the changes were.

Be more careful, John.

Quote:
...yes, and understood only the amended text. I am applauded. He made the false allegation that there was a change in meaning. Meanwhile, you struggle to imagine that you are not contributing to an internet forum but are marking heavily researched doctorates.

This paragraph needs revision. It makes no sense.

Quote:
Twit.

Moi????

I think not.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:20 pm
John Jones wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
spendius wrote:
I would agree with this-

Quote:

No, they were not.

Quote:
Slow down then correct them.

Frank is not subject to your orders or instruction.

Quote:

Frank and i are not mates. Even a casual perusal of our exchanges would show that we have not only often disagreed, but in great heat on many occasions.

Quote:
Set apparently read the original...yes, and understood only the amended text.

I understood both the original and the amended text, and neither of them are anything more than your assertions, as i've already pointed out. Your statements about what people do or do not understand are unfounded, and, to use an adjective which offends Spendius (oh, devoutly desired consumation) pathetic.

Quote:
I am applauded.

By whom?

Quote:
He made some false allegation that there was a change in meaning, but he couldn't be sure as he did not understand what I wrote.

Once again, i understood what you wrote, and i characterized it as silly. I later demonstrated why i disagree with what are merely your assertions. I did not say that you had changed the meaning, i did say that you had substantially altered your text. It is obvious that you did so in a failed attempt to ground your thesis by removing the opacity of your originally, badly written text.

Quote:
Meanwhile, your texts more often than not, appear to be written by someone who fancies himself to be marking heavily researched doctorates (badly), rather than contributing to an internet forum. Twit.

Pot, meet kettle . . . someone who writes as poorly as you do has no place criticizing any one else's writing. Calling him a twit is a violation of the terms of service, and demonstrates your inability to sustain your thesis, leading you to resort to personal invective.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:21 pm
Setanta wrote-

Quote:
Gross though it may be, the absurdity of your contention then, and this subsequent contention that "we reject written constitutions" (rather a bit too much to see you using the royal pejorative), induces in me a sense of pathos. It is by no means correct to baldy assert that the literal interpretation of any code is well known to lead to chaos.

In short, you have failed to support an argument that adherence to the proposition that all men are created equal, and that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, and that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Vague appeals to what "we reject" and unsubstantiated contentions about what is well known do not acheive that end.

I'm afraid I will have to decline answering that.There isn't going to be a solution is there?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:25 pm
It seems unlikely.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 02:19 pm
Setanta wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
spendius wrote:
I would agree with this-

Quote:

No, they were not.

Quote:
Slow down then correct them.

Frank is not subject to your orders or instruction.

Quote:

Frank and i are not mates. Even a casual perusal of our exchanges would show that we have not only often disagreed, but in great heat on many occasions.

Quote:
Set apparently read the original...yes, and understood only the amended text.

I understood both the original and the amended text, and neither of them are anything more than your assertions, as i've already pointed out. Your statements about what people do or do not understand are unfounded, and, to use an adjective which offends Spendius (oh, devoutly desired consumation) pathetic.

Quote:
I am applauded.

By whom?

Quote:
He made some false allegation that there was a change in meaning, but he couldn't be sure as he did not understand what I wrote.

Once again, i understood what you wrote, and i characterized it as silly. I later demonstrated why i disagree with what are merely your assertions. I did not say that you had changed the meaning, i did say that you had substantially altered your text. It is obvious that you did so in a failed attempt to ground your thesis by removing the opacity of your originally, badly written text.

Quote:
Meanwhile, your texts more often than not, appear to be written by someone who fancies himself to be marking heavily researched doctorates (badly), rather than contributing to an internet forum. Twit.

Pot, meet kettle . . . someone who writes as poorly as you do has no place criticizing any one else's writing. Calling him a twit is a violation of the terms of service, and demonstrates your inability to sustain your thesis, leading you to resort to personal invective.

You have responded to the wrong post. So I will give you the same advice I gave to Frank. Unless you want to be like him, slow down. Now for you only, I suggest the following:
Use 'edit' - it is there to help you; take care to respond appropriately, it is appreciated. Next, you must take care that you do not 'blag' - do not use the rules to make threats with, especially on someone else's behalf. Also, do not pretend outrage to discredit people. Otherwise other people might think that there is a dangerous, troublemaker abroad. This might invite contempt.
Let me know if you need further advice. In the meantime, if you wish to practice philosophy, I would suggest nothing better than to start by examining my posts.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 02:52 pm
Your posts bear exactly that relationship to philosophy which Christian Science does to science. Your advice is not needed nor wanted. Calling someone a "twit" is a violation of the terms of service, and it is as offensive to others here as it is to the object of your puerile insults. You are a troublemaker, and your snottiness toward those who dare to disagree with your ludicrous and ill-written nonsense on both philosophy and science have every right to point it out.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:16 pm
Setanta wrote:
Your posts bear exactly that relationship to philosophy which Christian Science does to science. Your advice is not needed nor wanted. Calling someone a "twit" is a violation of the terms of service, and it is as offensive to others here as it is to the object of your puerile insults. You are a troublemaker, and your snottiness toward those who dare to disagree with your ludicrous and ill-written nonsense on both philosophy and science have every right to point it out.

I am always pleased to give good advice where it is needed. I would say, that if a person wishes to be seen as straight and honest, and not as a troublemaker who hides behind the rules, to be careful that he does not, on slight pretext, pretend outrage on another's behalf whilst calling names elsewhere. For example, one person might not only complain that another person called a third party a twit, but also say that the other person is snotty. You have probably come across an example of this yourself.
Again, if you examine my posts you will find them a rich source of ideas for someone starting out on a philosophical journey. Please make a start now, as you are derailing the thread.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:33 pm
You haven't offered one bit of worthwhile advice. I'm not hiding behind any rules, i'm pointing out that you have violated them by making an outright personal insult of another member, and because you are incapable of answering the criticism leveled at you. I've indulged no outrage, and that sort of attempt to inflate the character of another person's remark is a pathetic secodary school debating technique. It is meaningless. I characterize your responses as snotty, which is well within a call to attack the post and not the poster. You routinely attack the poster when you can't answer the post. Your posts are rich in nothing other than misinformed musings. I would be happy to think that i were derailing your thread, which, sadly for you, is not a violation of the terms of service.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:35 pm
And as for derailing the thread, if you are so intent on its progress, why don't you attempt to answer the objections raised to your silly thesis--something you have yet to do. Spendius at least made the effort, you've done nothing but make confused and snotty rejoinders to criticisms, implying that the other members cannot comprehend your lofty thesis. You very definitely have not answered the legitimate criticisms of your thesis.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:31 pm
I totally disavow making any effort.I do not care for effort.It is much too much like hard work.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:32 pm
I do beg your pardon. Spendius appeared to make an effort; however, i now have it from a reliable source that his skills of prestidigitation are such that he only appeared to make an effort, but in fact did not.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:50 pm
Thanks.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 06:04 pm
You betcha . . .
0 Replies