How do agnostics handle their own death?

snood

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 07:47 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
snood wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Snood...

...considering the incredible number of gratuitous insults you regularly post...

...do you really think you should be giving lectures to others on the subject?

Since this is the ONLY exchange I've had with anyone but you that has been even marginally contentious, I expected you to try to piggyback on it, grampa. But you and I and Setanta all know that you're the one who has the most beefs with the most people. Besides, this exchange between Setanta and I hasn't even been harsh, even though I'm sure you'd like it to be. Why don't you go peddle your tired and wretched old bloviation on someone else? I'm sure you know Setanta doesn't require your assistance.

Not to handle you...that's for sure.

I was just saying HI! Twisted Evil

...yeah grampa, and be assured that all the sentiment behind your gracious consideration is returned, from the bottom of my heart.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 08:02 am
I happen to agree wholeheartedly with Set about religion. If it offends the religious to hear it, that doesn't make it less true.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 09:23 am
...and I can respect your opinion, edgar. How is it that you are as vehemently opposed as anyone to religion, and yet don't find it necessary to insult or attempt to demean? I've always known you were against religion and I've clearly understood the passion behind your stance, but I've not felt slimed after you express it. I just have a hard time wrapping my head around the concept that some of the brightest and most creatively gifted people on this forum find it necessary to continually verbally moon religion and those who consider themselves religious. they know that there is a wide spectrum of people who consider themselves as having some kind of religion - from those who richly deserve to be taken down several notches, to those who are just hanging on, trying to live the best they can. It's hard for me to get why they think its okay to slime all of them with the same brush.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 09:40 am
snood wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
snood wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Snood...

...considering the incredible number of gratuitous insults you regularly post...

Since this is the ONLY exchange I've had with anyone but you that has been even marginally contentious, I expected you to try to piggyback on it, grampa. But you and I and Setanta all know that you're the one who has the most beefs with the most people. Besides, this exchange between Setanta and I hasn't even been harsh, even though I'm sure you'd like it to be. Why don't you go peddle your tired and wretched old bloviation on someone else? I'm sure you know Setanta doesn't require your assistance.

...yeah grampa, and be assured that all the sentiment behind your gracious consideration is returned, from the bottom of my heart.

Lighten up, Snood. Your blood pressure will be the better for it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 09:55 am
Edgar and/or Set:

Why do you suppose people like Snood think it is perfectly acceptable, reasonable, logical, and respectful for people like him to express their deeply held convictions and opinions about the nature of REALITY…

….and why they think it is not acceptable, reasonable, logical, or respectful to for atheists and agnostics to express sincerely held convictions and opinions about them?

Why do you suppose it is okay for people like Snood to castigate, sneer at, berate and rebuke people who think religion is, on the whole, equal parts superstition and hypocrisy…

…and then to post message after message deploring those of us who are of that opinion for simply expressing that opinion?

Do you have any ideas that can help me make sense of this, Edgar or Set?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 09:56 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
snood wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
snood wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Snood...

Lighten up, Snood. Your blood pressure will be the better for it.

Hey gramps, don't you get the fact that if you stopped addressing me, you and I could avoid exchanges that are totally pointless? You seem fairly bright, but you keep addressing replies to me, when it should be abundantly obvious that the only thing I will ever have to say to you is that I think you are an arrogant horse's ass, not worth the effort it takes to make these keystrokes?

I mean, its clear you don't have any grownup motive for saying anything to me, but one would think that you would at least try to be a little less obvious with your pettiness.

And grampa - my BP is just fine (which is saying something for a black man), but again - thanks for the sillyassed, faux concern.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 09:58 am
I repeat:

Edgar and/or Set:

Why do you suppose people like Snood think it is perfectly acceptable, reasonable, logical, and respectful for people like him to express their deeply held convictions and opinions about the nature of REALITY…

….and why they think it is not acceptable, reasonable, logical, or respectful to for atheists and agnostics to express sincerely held convictions and opinions about them?

Why do you suppose it is okay for people like Snood to castigate, sneer at, berate and rebuke people who think religion is, on the whole, equal parts superstition and hypocrisy…

…and then to post message after message deploring those of us who are of that opinion for simply expressing that opinion?

0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 10:23 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Edgar and/or Set:

I've tried to help you gramps, but you don't listen...
See, I don't castigate sneer at, berate and rebuke anyone but YOU. Can you make that same claim about me? I defy you to come up with anyone else on this forum with whom I haven't been able to attain a working relationship but YOU. Set and I have bumped heads and made amends. Edgar and I have strongly disagreed, but maintained civility. Phoenix and I have argued, but not burned any bridges.There are others with whom I can have sharp exchanges, but when there are differences it always seems clear that there is much to lose if we don't at least try to kep it civil. That's true with everyone in this forum except YOU, Apisa. I would suffer no loss if you never addressed me directly or indirectly again, but your twisted motivations probably can't allow you to see the sense in that.

Now run along and go ruin an adolescent's faith, or something that's fun for you.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 11:03 am
snood wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Edgar and/or Set:

I've tried to help you gramps, but you don't listen...
See, I don't castigate sneer at, berate and rebuke anyone but YOU. Can you make that same claim about me? I defy you to come up with anyone else on this forum with whom I haven't been able to attain a working relationship but YOU. Set and I have bumped heads and made amends. Edgar and I have strongly disagreed, but maintained civility. Phoenix and I have argued, but not burned any bridges.There are others with whom I can have sharp exchanges, but when there are differences it always seems clear that there is much to lose if we don't at least try to kep it civil. That's true with everyone in this forum except YOU, Apisa. I would suffer no loss if you never addressed me directly or indirectly again, but your twisted motivations probably can't allow you to see the sense in that.

Now run along and go ruin an adolescent's faith, or something that's fun for you.

Snood...you amuse me.

You have no idea of what kind of person I am...but you are in a major dither over me. And you apparently are not bright enough to handle it with any kind of subtlety.

I have no twisted motivations. I, unlike you, have carefully expressed my motives...clearly without equivocation. And they are as honorable as any motive you may have. although quite honestly, nobody really knows what motivates you...except your passion for trying to give me a hard time.

Unfortunately for you....each attempt you make is simply another instance of enjoyment for me. To see someone so arrogantly willing to judge another on the other's supposed arrogance is something you cannot begin to appreciate until it comes your way.

Keep at it if you will. I will never be sated of pleasure.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 02:51 pm
I only keep at it because you keep directing comments toward me, directly or indirectly - and we've been down this road before - I believe it only stopped when you got banned, but - what ever turns you on.

Not only do I not know what motivates you nor anything about you, what little I can gleanfrom your bigmouthed ramblings ensures me I don't wanna know. Nobody's "in a dither" about you but you, ole pa. You'd do everyone a favor if you ever got over yourself, but we all know that ain't happenin'.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 05:17 pm
Snood...

...your reaction toward me is unwarranted...but I am not the crybaby type, so I've let it go with just a rejoiner or two on occasion.

BOTTOM LINE: You ARE a crybaby...and quite honestly, a huge percentage of your posts are directed at individuals rather than issues...and most of those are crybaby renditions.

I am a contributor. The vast majority of my posts are directed toward the issue being discussed. You may not like what I have to say about the religion issues...but at least I have my say about the issue itself.

You almost never do!

You are not really a contributor...just a crybaby.

Equally honestly...you direct insulting personal remarks aimed at fellow posters MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more frequently than I do.

I may irritate people with the way I present my case...and I may bring colorful language to the proceedings...but for the most part, I DO NOT ASSAIL the others personally. (I am not saying I NEVER make personal attacks...but I don't do it to the extent you are charging...and I AM SAYING THAT I DO IT MUCH LESS FREQUENTLY THAN YOU.)

Grow up a bit. Get over whatever it is that consumes you with me.

I say what I have to say...and I say it clearly. If you don't like what I have to say...for once, deal with what I've said rather than these constant harangues about what a monster I am.

And for the last month I have been very careful to limit the language and the abrasive rhetoric. I think I have been successful.

Grow up!

Get over it.

If I say something you don't like...take me on. Otherwise, knock it off.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 08:16 pm
As part of the peanut gallery, with a basic sympathy for both of your views since I've been there on the way to here, could you take this outside? do you always want to keep people from reading while you engage in contretemps? I say this as a person who has contretempted and probably will again.

For the rest of us it is boring. I see each needs to mount a final post of defence.

I assume the rancor is part of the charm for some, but for some of the rest of us it gets really old. I am actually interested in how agnostics handle their own death. Could we hear from more?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 09:34 pm
Done, osso - as I said many times, I will not approach the individual unless approached.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 02:58 am
ossobuco wrote:
As part of the peanut gallery, with a basic sympathy for both of your views since I've been there on the way to here, could you take this outside? do you always want to keep people from reading while you engage in contretemps? I say this as a person who has contretempted and probably will again.

For the rest of us it is boring. I see each needs to mount a final post of defence.

I assume the rancor is part of the charm for some, but for some of the rest of us it gets really old. I am actually interested in how agnostics handle their own death. Could we hear from more?

So far...the agnostics who have posted have been clear and unambiguous about how they would handle their deaths...which seems to reduce to "same as anyone else." You die. You stop breathing. You keel over. Whatever.

There really is no more to it...unless our theistic friends think they have a better take on how agnotics handle it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 07:43 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
There really is no more to it...unless our theistic friends think they have a better take on how agnotics handle it.
I can neither affirm nor deny the existence of agnotics.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 11:39 am
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Well you've got a lot more evidence agnostics exist...than you have that your god exists...

...so you really ought to consider the implications of that statement.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 07:12 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Well you've got a lot more evidence agnostics exist...than you have that your god exists...

Why Frank; I never denied the existence of agnostics. I was simply responding to your statement which implied the existence of a completely different species.

Or did you just not think enough of your audience to use the SpellCheck feature before posting? You, know; that little rectangular box to the lower right of the message body.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 09:44 am
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Why Frank; I never denied the existence of agnostics. I was simply responding to your statement which implied the existence of a completely different species.

Or did you just not think enough of your audience to use the SpellCheck feature before posting? You, know; that little rectangular box to the lower right of the message body.

If you want to get your kicks from playing with an obvious typo...do so. If you want to get your kicks from lecturing about the use of SpellCheck...and/or whether neglecting to use it shows disdain for one's audience...do so.

Fact is, I get a good deal of enjoyment seeing people being petty...and pretending they are being clever.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 09:46 am
Or...

...oops, I never noticed the spelling error!

Whichever floats yer boat.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 10:30 am
Terry wrote:
It may be set free to roam the universe and enjoy the pleasures of a billion billion planets, or explore new dimensions of existence.

Terry, I really hope it's this one. Could you think of anything more enjoyable than exploring the cosmos?
0 Replies