How do agnostics handle their own death?

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:27 am
reallife wrote:

Agnosticism shows it's own irrelevancy and uselessness as it's "I dunno" philosophy is replaced by certainty in one direction or the other.

I would have said the same thing as you some years ago. But over time, I realize, although there is no proof that there is a God that is acceptable to me, that does not mean that there is not something in the universe that is a higher being than humanity.

I used to think that agnosticism was waffling about the issue. I now realize that human beings know pitifully little about the universe, with all our knowledge.

BTW, if I learned TODAY that there was a higher power, I would never get on my knees in fervent worship. IMO, that is for the birds!
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:13 am
I agree, Phoenix, I can't imagine a higher being wanting to be worshiped. I can't think of anyone I respect wanting to be worshipped.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:48 am
snood wrote:
Why should you give a damn about your legacy? No reason, unless by chance you give a damn about anyone besides yourself.

I do not know you from Adam, and you certainly have no clue as to whether I do, or do not, give a damn about anyone but myself.....so your snipe does not merit an explanation.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:15 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
reallife wrote:

Agnosticism shows it's own irrelevancy and uselessness as it's "I dunno" philosophy is replaced by certainty in one direction or the other.

I would have said the same thing as you some years ago. But over time, I realize, although there is no proof that there is a God that is acceptable to me, that does not mean that there is not something in the universe that is a higher being than humanity.

I used to think that agnosticism was waffling about the issue. I now realize that human beings know pitifully little about the universe, with all our knowledge.

BTW, if I learned TODAY that there was a higher power, I would never get on my knees in fervent worship. IMO, that is for the birds!

Do you think that you owe your parents any respect or honor or thanks for giving you life, teaching you, providing for you, protecting you, etc?

If you met the governor, or the president would you recognize that there is a different protocol for interacting with them, as distinct from meeting Joe Shmoe on the street, and that someone in that position is deserving of a different measure of respect, etc ?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:38 am
real life wrote:
Do you think that you owe your parents any respect or honor or thanks for giving you life, teaching you, providing for you, protecting you, etc?

Having brought a child into the world, parents are doing no great favor to said child to provide for their needs and a few of their wants. The child is incapable for their childhood of doing so him- or herself, so this is not a reasonable analogy. Do you think people should be congratulated for taking responsibility for their own actions?

Quote:
If you met the governor, or the president would you recognize that there is a different protocol for interacting with them, as distinct from meeting Joe Shmoe on the street, and that someone in that position is deserving of a different measure of respect, etc ?

Having been elected to public office demonstrates only the ability to have presented a plausible image to the public--it in no way authorizes an assumption of superior authority or ability. The only difference worth noting is they may be surrounded by heavily-armed thugs, which suggests caution, not respect. All the citizens of a republic are as entitled to respect to the same degree as any other citizen, including the yops with deep pockets or rich backers who can get elected in order to serve the interests of their well-heeled cronies. This is the feeblest argument i could imagine. I address doctors, lawyers, professors--all people in this society as Mister or Miss, because all the citizens of a republic are deserving of the same mark of respect, and no more.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 11:09 am
Where is[/b] Frank? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 11:14 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
snood wrote:
Why should you give a damn about your legacy? No reason, unless by chance you give a damn about anyone besides yourself.

I do not know you from Adam, and you certainly have no clue as to whether I do, or do not, give a damn about anyone but myself.....so your snipe does not merit an explanation.

Granted - I worded that too judgementally. Suffice it to say I just believe that it is natural for people to think of their own end from time to time.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 11:42 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
what about the diagnostics? surely they might have something to say
They're always trying to figure things out and never seem to reach a conclusion. Laughing
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:51 pm
real life said:

>>When it comes down to reality, either the theist or the atheist is correct.

Either there IS a God (polytheism being merely a variant of theism for this aspect of the discussion) , or there IS NOT a God. <<

I disagree with these statements. There are a lot of other possible 'truths'.
It may turn out that the issue is irrelevent.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 04:39 pm
flushd wrote:
real life said:

Either there IS a God (polytheism being merely a variant of theism for this aspect of the discussion) , or there IS NOT a God. <<

On a True or False question the options of All of the Above or None of the Above are not available. Laughing

Regardless of our opinion of it's relevancy, it's still T or F.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:14 pm
real life wrote:
When it comes down to reality, either the theist or the atheist is correct.

Oh really. Maybe REALITY is so complicated that both are correct...or both are wrong.

You sound like an ant arguing with another ant about whether or not there is another yard!

In any case, when it comes down to reality, we do not know if the theists guesses about REALITY are correct or the atheists guesses about REALITY are correct.

And that is the agnostic position. We do not know...even though we freely acknowledge that it appears as though one or the other (theistic or atheistic guessing) is correct.

Quote:
Either there IS a God (polytheism being merely a variant of theism for this aspect of the discussion) , or there IS NOT a God.

Well that certainly seems very cut and dry.

But since we do not know the complexity of the REALITY...you may be surprised that what you are suggesting is not so....no matter how certain it sounds.

Not terribly important in any case...because the truth of the matter is (it appears) WE DO NOT KNOW.

No reason for agnostics not to recognize that it appears as though either there is a God...or there are no gods. But since we do not know...we simply acknowledge that we do not know.

Quote:

What a trite notion.

But I guess for someone like you who seems to dread acknowledging that you "do not know"....some minor degree of satisfaction must be derived.

But you know...I am getting a kick out of it...like I got a kick out of what Snood said.

Sometimes you just get the feeling that you simply have become so important to someone else...that you, in effect, own them.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:22 pm
I really wish someone had given me a heads up on this thread.

I've now read it...

...and doggone it...

...I have come down squarely with what an atheist had to say.

Set said it best.

We keel over and die.

Just like everyone else.

Unless we are already horizontal.

Like Phoenix, I had an encounter a while back with cancer...non-Hodgkins Lymphoma.

Really knocked the stuffings outta me.

I ended up going down to 114 pounds...and looked like an extra in the movie Schindler's List.

I thought it was the end...and pretty much told Nancy so. We talked and talked...and I kept my spirits up as much as possible (didn't do bad either...good sense of humor and still a reasonable sex drive).

Slowly but surely a turn came...although only after all appeared hopeless.

I never flinched a second.

Never had a thought about praying to any god...never had a moment of fear about having to deal with that kind of consequence.

Fact is...fear never really became a factor.

I thought things were over...but it was almost like I was interested if anything was going to come next.

Never made any guesses.

Stayed agnostic.

When my time comes...I'm just about certain I'll go out agnostic.

LAST THOUGHT: This whole issue seems contrived.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:22 pm
Re: How do agnostics handle their own death?
slkshock7 wrote:
How do agnostics reconcile their impending death (assuming they know its coming)?

I'm content to not know and to not worry about it. I don't agonize over it at all. If anything, I see it as the last great adventure; tha anticipation of changing state permanently without any idea what to expect.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:30 pm
real life said: >>On a True or False question the options of All of the Above or None of the Above are not available. Laughing

Regardless of our opinion of it's relevancy, it's still T or F.<<

We can always colour outside the lines! LOL

cheers to you, RealLife. You sound like a teach Razz
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 05:43 pm
real life wrote:
flushd wrote:
real life said:

On a True or False question the options of All of the Above or None of the Above are not available. Laughing

Regardless of our opinion of it's relevancy, it's still T or F.

Ooops...didn't see this...or flushed's comments that prompted it.

Flushed is correct....and as usual, Life, you are wrong.

Flushed is merely saying that there is a possibility of something other than A or B...and no matter than you cannot see it...there still is that possibility.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 06:19 pm
as an agnostic, I find that I will consider my personal death an inconvenience. However, I dont dwell on it as Ive got too much to get done . Id like to just blow out like a candle while Im in the middle of something important .

Frank said that this is contrived, I say its a waste of an agnostics precious time. Data is what data is, believing in it doesnt make it so or not so. SOOO, whose deal?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 06:23 pm
Mine . . . five card stud, no wild cards, jacks or better, gotta show your opener if everybody folds . . . stop putting slugs in the pot, Frank ! ! !
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 06:24 pm
amen, farmerman, if i may use a term with a religious connotation. our time is better spent on pursuits like posting to internet forums.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:46 pm
slkshock7 wrote:
But agnostics must agonize over [death], not knowing for sure one way or other. My only guess is that somehow at the end, they lean toward a theist or atheist position, or rationalize that whatever god might exist simply won't care about them.

Why would you guess that? None of us know what the next day will bring, and somehow still manage to go to sleep each night because we have confidence that we will be able to deal with whatever life - or death - brings us.

Death is most likely an end to consciousness, ego and awareness, like deep sleep or anesthesia. My consciousness may be reincarnated into a new body and forget everything it learned. It may be set free to roam the universe and enjoy the pleasures of a billion billion planets, or explore new dimensions of existence. I may become a ghost or spirit watching over loved ones.

There may be an omnipotent God, and if so, it has a LOT of explaining to do. There may be a different god and heaven for every religion, with God-free zones for atheists. There may be lots of gods and they pick players/pawns (or we join our chosen God/Goddess's team) for games or wars. Given the gods' propensity for war, maybe only warriors who died bravely in battle go to heaven. Maybe God lied and everyone goes to hell. Maybe the gods are aliens who feed off our fears and suffering. Who know whether they want sparkling souls, obedient slaves, polished minds, loving hearts, or faithful pets who will amuse them with tricks?

If there is a judgmental God, hopefully it is honest and will treat us fairly regardless of gender, creed, and racial heritage. If it is the God of the Bible, there is very little chance of that, and I would not count any promises it made to anyone.

In any case, it is not worth worrying about. We will all find out soon enough.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:18 pm
real life wrote:
When it comes down to reality, either the theist or the atheist is correct.

Either there IS a God (polytheism being merely a variant of theism for this aspect of the discussion) , or there IS NOT a God.

Uh, WHICH theists do you think might be correct? There are hundreds of theistic religions with mutually exclusive beliefs.

Do you think it is better to pick one and risk angering the real God, pray to all of them, or admit that you don't have a clue, try to be a good person, and trust that if there is a god, it will judge you fairly?
0 Replies