2 Bad Films

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:59 am
i rented the Ring 2 and Schultze Gets the Blues (a German foreign film) this weekend. Both, to state this bluntly, sucked big time.

I really liked the first Ring so I ignored the bad reviews and watched it anyway. Not only was it not scary at all, but the plot and story just plain sucked. Not even a renter if you haven't seen it yet.

Schultze Gets the Blues was an even larger disappointment. It got a 73% fresh rating on Rotten Tomato and won several awards from various film fests so I had high expectations. The trailers, which made the film to look quite funny, were nothing like the actual movie. It was boring, pointless and just plain dumb. It often featured static scenery shots that lingered on screen way to long. The humor that was shown on the trailers, placed in context in the film, were dry and usually pointless.

Bad Bad Bad. Don't bother with either one.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 846 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Letty

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:39 am
Thanks, jp. I was going to watch Ring2, now I most certainly will not. Never heard of the other one.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:15 pm
Go see The 40 Year Old Virgin. What a hoot! Almost as funny as Wedding Crashers but not quite.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:33 pm
i was thinking of renting Ring 2 as well..

thanks for the warning.
you saved me 3 bucks..
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:57 pm
The worst thing about Ring 2 was the story. It is basically the same story except the movie which kills people, which is really the point of the whole story, is basically absent in Ring 2. It just kind of picks up where the first left off. Doesn't really explain why the girl is back, and ends in a completely anti-climatic manner. Plus, for some reason, I really don't like the lead woman in the ring. She just doesn't make a convincing mother at all.
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:39 am
I liked Schultze gets the Blues, granted it was slow but it was an interesting study of a simple man whose life changes in a moment. But saying that you should always be weary of these to words in a film description, German and Comedy
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:22 am
thiefoflight wrote:
I liked Schultze gets the Blues, granted it was slow but it was an interesting study of a simple man whose life changes in a moment. But saying that you should always be weary of these to words in a film description, German and Comedy

I don't really have a problem with slow. I'm having a hard time finding the words to express why I didn't like the film. I think part of it was the lack of any fluidity.

WARNING SPOILER!!!!!

The guys in germany. He hears a song on the radio. He can't find an outlet for the music. He goes to America. The movie could have gotten good at this point but all of a sudden it makes this unrealistic and unexplained turn with him travelling by boat in backwater swamps and rivers in down south America. Once he finally finds what he is looking for the scene and his death is so anti-climatic that it made the entire journey even more pointless than I first imagined it.

Did the long shots of scenerey annoy you too, or was it just me?
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:35 am
I watch a lot of Foreign films so I'm used to long shots of nothing. WARNING SPOILER! Do you think he knew he was dying? Because at one point when he was listening to the radio there was a report on miners getting lung cancer and he quickly changes the station.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:43 am
Ohh... I didn't think of that. It would make sense though. There were a couple of scenes where he started coughing and he kind of fought against it. Like the one where he entered his living room and laid down on the couch. He started coughing and then got up, left the room, and came back. Sort of like he pushed a reset button and started all over again.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:43 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
The worst thing about Ring 2 was the story. It is basically the same story except the movie which kills people, which is really the point of the whole story, is basically absent in Ring 2. It just kind of picks up where the first left off. Doesn't really explain why the girl is back, and ends in a completely anti-climatic manner. Plus, for some reason, I really don't like the lead woman in the ring. She just doesn't make a convincing mother at all.

so..wha?
she just came to life from the TV and that was it?
the last movie ended with her in that mans apt.
Essentially she never went back into the TV?
sounds like poltergeist..
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:47 am
shewolfnm wrote:
jpinMilwaukee wrote:

so..wha?
she just came to life from the TV and that was it?
the last movie ended with her in that mans apt.
Essentially she never went back into the TV?
sounds like poltergeist..

Sort of... the video tape is right in the beginning of the movie and it kind of re-introduces the girl again. Then after that she is pretty much just there.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:49 am
I can see how that would take away from the movie.
the greatest part of it was watching her skip across the screen
the creepiest thing was when she skipped right OUT of the screen. Confused

hmm.. i had high hopes for it.. oh well..
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:49 am
i loved the ring #1. too bad that #2 sucks, was going to watch it. i love to rent horror movies and watch them alone at night. but if they suck it just ruins the whole experience AND makes you feel silly.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:50 am
Dag-
rent Ju-on
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 04:42 pm
Oh come now. The Ring 2 was amusing (I would say it's probably a renter, but it's definitely a "it's on HBO and I've got time to kill").

******************WARNING: SPOILER**********

I saw it in the theater, so perhaps my feeble memory is failing me, but the tape pops up in the little town that Rachel and Aidann moved to; Rachel (I believe) destroys the tape to end the horror; Samarra begins possessing Aidann (she wants a mommy we discover) and Aidann begins exhibiting the behavior and powers Samarra was revealed to have in the first film. Sissy Spacek is Samarra's institutionalized biological mother who gives Rachel the clues vital to keeping Samarra out of our world for good.
0 Replies