Who swears in a new chief justice?

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 07:11 am
The chief justice, of course, swears in the President. But who swears in a new CJ? An associate justice? Or....?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,024 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 09:25 am
I believe it is the Associate Justice with the most seniority (in this case, it's JP Stevens), but I'm having trouble finding a confirmation of that.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:24 am
jespah wrote:
I believe it is the Associate Justice with the most seniority (in this case, it's JP Stevens), but I'm having trouble finding a confirmation of that.

I believe that is correct, although that wouldn't be a requirement. A government official who is required to take an oath of office can take it from anyone who is authorized to administer oaths. For instance, in 1963, Lyndon Johnson's oath was administered by Judge Sarah T. Hughes. Calvin Coolidge, after Warren Harding's death, took the presidential oath from his own father, who was a notary public. For a complete list of presidential oaths of office, click here
0 Replies