Should Smoking be banned completely?!

material girl

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 05:44 am
Im a non smoker, mostly Im not against smoking.In open places its fine.

What annoys me is when non smokers are made to feel as tho they are in the wrong if they ask a smoker to stop!!
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 05:09 pm
I remember in Scotland I was in a restaraunt having dinner at our hotel, the place was huge, and this silly twit sat next to my table and complained out loud to the waitress about my smoking....I was like whaaaa??? she could of moved 20 tables away as there were only 5 tables being used that evening, the poor waitress said she would move her and she insisted that I should be moved!.....I couldnt believe what I was hearing...we just laughed and the nutter packed a sad and went up to her room!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 05:40 pm
LOL.

Yeah Kiwi, smokers are dwindling, and that probably is for the best.

I smoke, but I don't claim it's good for mine/others health. lol.

I suppose I am just fiesty when it comes to those who try to limit me and hold moral highground because they do not smoke.
I find a lot of smokers to be considerate of other people. I do not enjoy watching a bunch of perfectly nice people being berated because a choice. I also can not stand to see them huddled on a cold Canadian street corner in the middle of winter; while people pass by and laugh.

Oh well. This is life.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 06:11 pm
yeah I know, we have special smoking areas built , sheltering us from the
rain, hail and snow LOL built as an extension from the side of bars and clubs etc and what they do here is, that legally one wall has to be totaly unclosed, so the norm is the roof, so its just like a garden bar realy with outdoor heaters and umbrellas....so its not too bad for us, for the bars that dont have these, its amazing at how many people you meet outside! Very Happy
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 06:47 pm
Sounds nice Kiwi. Smile

True enough: there is a brotherhood/sisterhood amongst those who are 'lepers' from the general crowd. It's super easy to start a convo under those circumstances Razz

Way to present the bright side!
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 07:03 pm
..I find half the non smokers tend to join us in our conversations...we must be an interresting bunch us 'smokers'! Very Happy
0 Replies

bloodcam2000

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 07:22 pm
Although i find it very rude for a smoker to say "you dont mind if i smoke?" and then smoke in closed quarters with you. of course you will say that you dont mind, even if you do.

Smokers should smoke as much as they like, but they should adopt some ettiquette. it should be imposed on them by non smokers using the technique of snobbery or pretention.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 10:02 pm
...or the Non smokers should just say that they do mind-simple
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:39 am
No, smoking should not be banned completely. I am a smoker, but I agree that it should not be allowed in public buildings for the simple fact that non smokers should not be subjected to my smoke.
My mother quit smoking last year, so I either smoke outside or in my special smoking/sitting room upstairs with the door closed at all times. She doesn't need to be exposed to my smoke.
I am very considerate of those folks who don't smoke, so if the government tries to take my smokes, it's war I tell ya :-)
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:37 am
My feeling is that it should not be banned.
For many years I smoked, 2 packs a day sometimes if I was really stressed, I could make it to almost 3 packs and then 7 years ago I stopped. I made the decision and it was over. Surprisingly second hand smoke does not offend me or annoy me...unless I am coming down with a virus or if the smoker is so close that the ashes fall on me. The idea of banning cigarettes just makes no sense whatsoever to me. They tried it with booze and we all saw what happened.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 06:32 am
The number of smokers is dwindling, as was previously stated. I'm sure that's true in the US, but what about Europe and other parts of the world? I thought smoking was still quite commonplace in Europe.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 07:47 am
Hell no! If people want to kill themselves they should have every right to do so.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 03:08 pm
Montana wrote:
No, smoking should not be banned completely. I am a smoker, but I agree that it should not be allowed in public buildings for the simple fact that non smokers should not be subjected to my smoke.
My mother quit smoking last year, so I either smoke outside or in my special smoking/sitting room upstairs with the door closed at all times. She doesn't need to be exposed to my smoke.
I am very considerate of those folks who don't smoke, so if the government tries to take my smokes, it's war I tell ya :-)

My mother has never smoked and I have always smoked outside away from her also, whilst my Dad and one of my brothers are both very inconsiderate they tend to smoke where ever they damn well please.
My pet hate is smoking in cars....I smoke a pack of 25 a day but never in my car, I cant fathom why anyone would, yet I have seen many do it...geez their cars must stink!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:20 pm
My code-of-ethics when I'm smokin' is simply: if someone asks me not to smoke around them, I don't.

I also don't like smoking in cars. Especially if there is a kid in the car. I generally try to keep from smoking in enclosed spaces where there are lil ones.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:09 pm
KiwiChic wrote:
Montana wrote:

My mother has never smoked and I have always smoked outside away from her also, whilst my Dad and one of my brothers are both very inconsiderate they tend to smoke where ever they damn well please.
My pet hate is smoking in cars....I smoke a pack of 25 a day but never in my car, I cant fathom why anyone would, yet I have seen many do it...geez their cars must stink!

Yeah, I'm sure my car stinks, lol. We have to smoke outside at work and If I want to sit and get off my feet for a bit, I have to sit in my car. Now a few of my friends from work who don't drive, join me in my car to go puff puff.
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 01:03 am
I don't have problems with people who are smokers-when they don't smoke. But so far I have found out that all people when they smoke become rude and litter. It seems that the cigerette becomes a dummy stick. As soon as they light up they no longer have respect for your desire to not have smoke blown in your face. And, once they get done with the cigerette, the butt goes on the ground. I grew up in a family of smokers. I was the only one of 5 in my family who never smoked. The rest of the family finally got smart (after seeing two relatives die of cancer and two of my imediate family have lung problems.) I feel anyone should be aloud to smoke around me. As long as the don't breath, as long as the cigerette produces no smoke and as long as they eat the butt when they finish.
But, I will take cigerette smoke over cigar smoke.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 04:47 am
ralpheb

'eating the butt' is a tad extreme, no?

as a lifelong non-smoker, i'm finding that i have less tolerance for 2nd hand smoke every single day.

still, i think people have the right to smoke, although i'll never understand it.

i feel sorry for smokers who want to quit, but either don't have enough willpower to quit, or continue to smoke because their friends smoke.
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 04:58 am
they either eat the butt or you see it on the street. you never realize how many cigarette butts are out there until you have the detail of picking up trash.
0 Replies

NoNe

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:43 am
well, smoking, drinking, eating, having sex, shaving ur beard, wearing whatever color u want, all those are the BASIC human rights, banning them, will make us a step closer to the Saudi Arabia where it is illegal for women to drive a car, or to Iran, where u should wear black Burka or Taliban Afganistan,m where u should not show ur face. Funnny, it is ok to stone people up, to blow themselves up in public, But not ok to show the face...gyyyk
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 04:00 pm
Its illegal in NZ to smoke at your place of employment or smoke in a work vehicle, so everyone stands out on the footpath for a ciggy, but all the smoke butts go into a big tin barrel which is left by the entrance door.
Its quite laughable realy NZ have 'Smoking Officers' that go around to bars etc and if you are caught with a smoke you get an instant fine..
I have yet to see any!
0 Replies