The Hesitation Factor - Short Story

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 01:18 pm
The Hesitation Factor - Endymion 2338 words

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I don't know if you've ever stolen a car. If you have, you'll know what I mean when I say that the first time you do it, there's hesitation. I saw it in Charlie that night. Just for a second, as we were approaching the vehicle. Moving beyond the familiar and zooming in on a classic.
A Saab 900.
He always had to be different, Charlie.

I was sixteen years old and although I'd tangled with the police once or twice, it had been for nothing more serious than stealing a pair of jeans from Top Man - or 'poT naM' as we (in our stupidity) called it. Charlie, at twenty-one, was a regular thieving gang-sta compared to me.
"I don't like it." I told him.
"What's not to like?" He threw his arms out wide, like an insane preacher or car-salesman.
"It's only got two doors." I pointed out.
Charlie's arms dropped slowly. He managed to take his eyes from mine for a moment, to glance at the white Saab.
"So? How many f*cking doors d'you need?"
"It's not safe." I said.
He started to laugh, but it was ugly.

Three years before the Saab, when I was still thirteen, Charlie took me for a ride in his new 'company car' - a five-gear saloon that some idiot in Furniture Sales had managed to hand over to an eighteen year old speed-freak with a drink problem.
We drove out of London on the M4, listening to Led Zep at full volume, with Charlie standing on the accelerator and whooping like a cowboy.
The Police had us boxed-in on the hard shoulder and were busy taking down our details before the end of the seventh track.
Charlie was mad. I was sick in the verge, propped against a farmer's fence. The Police were hysterical about us not wearing our seatbelts. They breathalysed Charlie, but he was clean. I couldn't believe it.
As I stood my distance, buffeted by motorway traffic and trying not to get vomit on my boots, I could see Charlie remonstrating, probably telling them about his new job and how he would lose it if they charged him. The officers remained noncommittal, their straight faces and polite address only infuriating him further.
A blackbird landed on the fence close by, looking at me with one untrusting yellow eye.

"Are you alright, son?"

That evening, sitting out in the garden at the back of the terraced house, Charlie asked me if I'd been scared at all. He wasn't referring to us being pulled over and I knew it. He was talking about the physical fear of death. He seemed obsessed with it.
I wanted to be truthful, so I thought about his question seriously, while he pulled the tab on another can of lager and sucked foam off the rim.
How scared had I been? Very.
Watching that needle creep past 120 mph, I had more or less accepted that I was going to die… but it was the expectation, the prospect of sudden, unstoppable physical damage that had really paralysed me while we rocketed passed cars that were pushing ninety in the middle lane.
Although I tried to put it out of my mind, I kept thinking back to when I'd first got in the car and reached for my seatbelt.
How Charlie's hand had clamped down on mine.
"Nah, it's no fun that way." He'd said.
"If you wear the belt you're a wimp. No excuses. You don't wan'a be a f*cking wimp do you?"
I was thirteen… so of course, I didn't.

"So, you were scared, yeah?" Charlie asked me.
He was genuinely interested - as if fear was something he could only learn about and never fully experience for himself.
I slapped gnats away from my head and listened for a moment to the hum of traffic speeding by on the A3, two streets away. Someone inside the house switched on the kitchen light and I saw that Charlie was smiling. He had one eye shut and was staring down into his beer can.
"I was frightened," I admitted. "When you missed that MG by nothing…"
The familiar smile disappeared, "F*cking thing shouldn't 'ave been on the motorway," he said.

We'd come upon the MG cruising in the fast lane, on the stretch between Maidenhead and Reading. By then, we were into the guitar solo on 'Heartbreaker' and Charlie was rocking back and forth in his seat. The MG didn't see us coming and we ate up the road behind it so fast, that even with Charlie tapping the brakes from a good distance back, I thought that we were going to plough right over the top of it.
"…and when they were breathalysing you." I said.
Charlie threw back his head and swallowed the last few drops of beer, then lobbed the can towards the dustbins. He sat back in the mouldy, broken-up chair, with his hands folded behind his head, looking smug. Not at all like someone facing a hefty speeding fine… and maybe even a driving ban.
"They couldn't get me for that," he said, "I never touched a drop."
"I know. But if you had…"
"If I had…"
He leant in. Put his face up close to mine.
"If I had, they wouldn't have caught me. Get it?"

"Are you alright, son?"

The copper was older than Charlie, but not by much. He was standing with one black-gloved-hand pressed against the fence. He had trampled through a blackberry bush to get to me and seemed human enough, watching me with a mild frown on his face.
I looked over to where Charlie stood by the car, arguing with a policewoman.
"He doesn't mean it." I said.
"Charlie?"
"Yeah, its not his fault."
"And if he gets you killed… will it be his fault then?"
I shrugged. I didn't know.
The blackbird took off and we both turned to watch it circle away from us, towards some trees and better company.

Two days after my eleventh birthday, Charlie took me out with him 'Paki-bashing'. That's what he called it, plain as day. No pretence and no excuses.

We saw an old, brown-skinned man with a turban on his head, waiting at a bus stop. Charlie started saying stuff like, "Go back to your own country and stop taking our jobs."
You know, the age-old clichés.
When he got no reaction, he turned nasty, quickly.
His insults became more and more personal, as he set out to ridicule and then threaten the old pensioner, who remained mute and defiant, waiting outside the park gates for his bus.
It occurred to me that if he wanted to, Charlie could snuff out the life of this man in a few seconds and I think the old man sensed it too, because I saw primitive fear in his eyes and understood that he was not ignorant. Only brave. Perhaps the first really brave man I'd ever met.
At this point, I tried to intervene. Timidly, you understand. Not with angry indignation, or even very much hope, but because I wanted to stop what was happening before Charlie made a terrible mistake. This old man wasn't the one that he really wanted to attack. This man was nothing to do with anything.

Charlie took no more notice of me than he did the cars that sped by periodically. Sooner or later someone would call the Police and then things could get very ugly. The mood he was in, why, Charlie might stop terrorising this OAP and do something really stupid. Like calling a bluey a pig. Then they'd go after him.
For the next few minutes I watched Charlie with a certain amount of contempt as he started in on the man's family… (simply presuming that the old man had one) explaining in detail what he was going to do to each one of them individually …especially the man's wife and daughters. And granddaughters.
Throughout Charlie's ranting, the man remained seemingly unmoved, keeping his eyes on the on-coming traffic and probably praying for a bus. Charlie demanded to know if he was under-f*cking-standing-da-f*cking-English, or if he was f*cking deaf?
I knew better. I couldn't pretend that I wasn't seeing the old man's show of bravery. As Charlie started cursing every Asian country's name he could drag up from his undereducated brain, I went and sat down on a wall and looked away. I understood that I would always remember my feelings at that moment, my shame threatening to burn me up.

The brown-skinned man was proud and tried to ignore Charlie, a cruel looking sixteen-year-old, wearing a black bomber jacket, jeans and steel-capped boots.
When the bus finally came and the old man climbed on board without uttering a single word, Charlie went crazy and started smacking-up the bus shelter.
I left him and went into the park. It was autumn and there were leaves on the ground. He found me sitting on a bench watching ducks on a pond. He was angry with me.
When I admitted feeling sorry for the old man, Charlie sneered and called me a Paki-lover, so I asked him why he wanted to be a Nazi and he punched me in the face and broke my nose.

I had to stay over-night in the kid's ward at the hospital, laid out with a tube stuck down my throat. Charlie came to see me and brought my lucky charm with him - a glow-in-the-dark spider I always kept beside my bed at home. He propped it against the hospital water jug and sat down in a chair beside me. Across the ward a boy who'd had his sinuses drilled out that morning was being sick into a bowl held by a young, Chinese-looking nurse. Charlie got up and pulled the screens around my bed.
After he'd sat back down, I started feeling uncomfortable. He was staring at me hard and not saying anything. I was afraid, but not of Charlie, not then… only of crying in front of him.
But, like everything else, he beat me to it.

Charlie reached up and covered his face with his hands.
I watched him while the nurse whispered soft words of comfort and reassurance to the kid across the way. I watched him even though it hurt me badly, in a way I cannot describe. I'd never seen Charlie cry before. It shocked and frightened me even more than the punch in the face had.
He didn't cry easily.
Despite its enormity, his grief was mute, so that if I hadn't been able to see his body flinching against the pain, or the tears dripping through his hands onto the bed cover - I never would have known.

When I was nine, I stood inside the back door and watched my foster father, high on pills and alcohol, beat up the fourteen-year-old boy I had come to think of as my brother. Every time Charlie tried to get up, the son-of-a-bitch would knock him back down again. I watched Charlie crash into chairs, shelves and kitchen cabinets. I saw him slammed into the table and heared his scream of pain.
The man was terrifying to look at, his face twisted with hate and determination. He knew what he was doing and he took his time about it.
The stereo was on and blasting rave, the fast beat thudding in my chest…but the man went slowly, carefully. Stalking.
Together they moved around the kitchen, without words, the man kicking or punching Charlie onto the floor and then standing over him as he tried to crawl away.
Sometimes the man would let the boy get to his feet and sometimes he wouldn't, but always he was ready, waiting to knock him down again.
Soon they had moved around the table, closer to where I stood.
Charlie was trying to escape, his movements weak and slow. I watched the man knee him, hard, in the small of his back, sending him sliding across the lino floor to collapse against my feet.
I didn't want to look at Charlie, but I couldn't help myself. The sound of his harsh, gasping breath terrified me. He was struggling to speak, even as the man reached for him again.
"Go into the garden," Charlie said, his eyes pleading with me.

Those words were bloody, pouring from his broken mouth.

I turned and ran as fast as I could. I ran out of the house. I ran across the small lawn and into some bushes where I hid, crouching.
The loud, booming music seemed far away as evening drew in.

When it was over, the man took Charlie to the hospital and told anyone who asked, that the boy had been set upon and beaten by a gang of crazy black men.
The Police must have believed him, because they didn't lock him up.

"So, you getting in, or what?"
Charlie's in the driving seat and he's got the engine revving.
I stand there, remembering.
Cleaning his bloody handprints from the lino floor.
His hand clamped over mine as I reach for a seatbelt.
He looks desperate, sitting in the Saab and grinning out at me.

We're alone in the pub car park and the sun is getting ready to sink below the rooftops. Charlie's not long had his twenty-first birthday and he's still hung over from it, but he manages to laugh as he leans across the passenger seat to grab the open door.
"Hey, come on. Let's go!"

A cat darts across the tarmac and scrambles noisily over a fence. Streetlights start to flicker on around us. Behind me, laughter drifts out from the pub lounge and is taken off on the wind.
He says my name, once.

We look at each other and I can feel it. The hesitation. It holds me there for a moment longer than Charlie can endure. I watch the light fade slowly into the darkening of his eyes.
He slams the door shut, puts the gear-stick into first and doesn't look back.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Endymion 2005
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,260 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 01:26 pm
There was certainly a 'Hesitation Factor' involved in me posting up this story. It came about, because of the idea of 'character profiles' discussed in the writer's workshop.

I ran it through an English spell-check - thought I'd better mention that, for American friends.

Thanks to anyone who reads through it.

Peace,
Endy
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 02:29 pm
hey, can't say enjoyed it in the typical sense 'cos the subjett matter is so burtal and raw but nevertheless kept me intrested and reading. I need more about charlie though I mean I know it's a short story but I feel I don't know enough about the relationship between the two characters. Liked the overall style though. Feels like theres more though doesn't feel complete.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 02:29 pm
Very nice story ENDYMION, thank you. I appreciate the way you are able to paint the scenes with your words very clearly. I can relate to some of the experiences in your story although never was quite the hoodlum "your brother" was. :wink:

I am thinking about the experiences in your story that readers might relate to. When I write about things it is usually in narrative form. This is why the screen writing class will be a new experience. But anyway, writing in narrative, I believe I tend to include many things that an average person (reader) can relate to. I certainly don't do this intentionally and I don't believe it would be a good idea to have "relating to the reader" central to the mechanics of my writing.

One of the reasons I never studied any writing courses other than the mandatory lower division ones at university is because I don't like structure especially where writing is concerned. I think once you start thinking too much about structure, common form etc. etc. you are done! Laughing

Yes, I liked your short story very much. Smile
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 08:02 pm
Thanks for the feedback from tagged_lyricist and Jack Webbs, totally appreciated.

It made me think hard about the suggestion that something is missing from Charlie's point of view.

And now I'm thinking..... YES that's it!
What about Charlie's point of view?

How about I write the whole thing again, but as Charlie?

Oh man.
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 08:49 pm
Hey that's a twist rewriting the story from another character's point of view. It could be done all the time for all I know. I just wouldn't think of it.

If I look at something I am writing one too many times I usually rip it up and throw it away.

An acquaintance of mine that teaches English in a junior high school showed me a short assignment one of her students completed on Victor Hugo's "The Bet." I may have read that short story long ago but I didn't remember it. I found it on Internet and read it. I enjoyed it.

Victor Hugo's short stories are excellent examples for me. I appreciate the simplicity and clarity of his style. I don't like to admit it but I think one of the reasons I mostly write in narrative is because I am just too lazy to work with quotations very much. They slow me down, impede my line of thought. That is one area I am aware of among others I am probably not, that I am going to have to force myself to learn to work with in order to improve.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 09:05 pm
I can't remember the name of the film, but I think it was sean Connery playing a writer, and he talked to this kid, who wanted to be a writer too, and he said, do two initial drafts. Write the first one with your heart and the second one with your head. I think my writing has improved since I started following that advice.
I know I'm never going to be a great writer, but I like the idea of people telling what they know, - sharing what they know, with others.

Good Luck with yours, I'm off to get some kip as it's 4am here.

Endy
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 09:47 pm
Endy, the film sounds like Finding Forester, though i'm unsure since i haven't seen it. Your story itself i find disturbing and well written.
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 01:19 pm
Endy, So glad that you posted this story. It's GOOD. The characterizations work well; the dialogue sounds natural; the settings are evoked by nicely-chosen detail. The blackbird is a first-rate touch!

When Tagged writes "Feel there's more," this may be pointing to a strength, rather than to a weakness. Short stories are all about sketchings, suggestions, rich ambiguities. As long as the ending makes a reasonable amount of what's come before snap into place in a satisfying way, you're doing fine.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:24 pm
Hey Miklos 7, good to hear from you.
Posting this up seemed to take a weight off my mind and hearing from you has done just about the same thing.

I hope one day, I'll look back on this story and understand what I can do to make it better, until then, thanks for the support in the writer's workshop.

Endy.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 05:26 pm
yitwail wrote:
Endy, the film sounds like Finding Forester, though i'm unsure since i haven't seen it.

Yeah, I think you're right yitwail - thanks for your imput.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 07:03 pm
Short stories are all about sketchings, suggestions, rich ambiguities. As long as the ending makes a reasonable amount of what's come before snap into place in a satisfying way, you're doing fine. (Posted by Miklos7)

I think this is pretty neat. I have never studied the mechanics of writing other than what was covered in K-12.

I love to write but up to this point in life I haven't written much from the head. I just put feelings, observations etc. into rough narratives. I like a few of them but even those are not very good, I don't think, in the eyes of anyone other than myself.

I've got to pay more attention but not too much otherwise I am afraid I might become hidebound and become disgusted as I did with a novel I attempted to write once.

I was changing and changing and changing. It was awful! I finally got totally fed up, through it away. About 450 dbl spaced pages. Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 07:21 pm
I think you are a talented writer, and it says something that I would take the time to read all of it. If I'm not liking it, I'm not about to reach the end. I hope you will continue to develope your abilities and turn out a best seller or two.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 05:01 am
edgerblythe, I'm glad you read it through.
Thanks for posting,

Endy
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 08:31 am
The Rat Factor

When I was fifteen I went into a shop and nicked a bottle of gin while the bloke behind the counter was chatting up a couple of girls. I timed my move just right.
Walking away, I felt both exhilarated and disgusted.
I didn't like stealing, but tough times called for tough measures.

It was hot that summer and my part of South London smelt pretty bad. Petrol, rot and rubbish; sweat and dirt. Layers of dirt.
I cut across the empty building-site where a second-hand bookshop used to stand, before they knocked it down. It went the same time I got put back in care last year and I still missed it.

For a while a sleek black rat ran along beside me, almost like a dog trying to see me off - expecting me to be afraid, it seemed.
I kicked at it with my boot and it veered off sharply to crawl under a fence. I watched its tail slither out of sight.
"F*ck off."

When I got to number 49 Douglas St, I let myself in and went straight through to the kitchen.
Tony (my latest foster parent) was sitting at the table reading the paper. "How's it go, mate? Alright?" he asked.
I slung my bag down.
"Yeah, not too bad. I'm not being suspended."
"That's good. Want a cuppa?"
"Nah… I'm off out in a bit."
"What they give you?"
"The usual ….they've got no f*cking imagination. I'm on report. I'm banned from all field trips for the rest of the year and I have to do a whole **** load of detention."
"Not too bad then," he grinned.
I just stared at him.
So far, Tony hadn't done anything crazy - but if there was one lesson I'd learned from life - it's that you don't really know someone until you live with them for a while.
Tony and Sue had offered me a room in their house three months ago, but I had no reason to trust anyone, so it was hard to be thankful.
"Where you off to, then?" he asked.
"A party. Over at the flats."
"Better get some food inside you."
"No thanks. I'll get a take-away."
"What with?"
He brought out a fiver and offered it to me, "Go on, take it. Buy food - not beer, okay? Promise?"
I whipped it from his hand.
"Thanks."

Upstairs I dropped my bag and sat down on the bed.
I wanted to start on the gin, but I knew Tony would smell it.
The neighbours next door were having some sort of rave/barbeque. They were art students, so I was more or less used to their all day parties.
I went to the window and looked down, my head pressed to the cool glass. It was bright outside and a woman was gyrating topless, circled by a small crowd of cheering friends. She couldn't dance for ****, but I watched her for a moment, breathless - until a curtain moved at a window in the house backing onto ours and a man leaned out with a camera in his hands.
I stepped back before he saw me, and just as Sue knocked on my door. "Alec?"
"Yeah?"
She came in, carrying a mug of what smelt instantly like strong, milky coffee.
"Alright? Tony said you're going out again tonight, so I thought I'd do you a drink…coffee alright?"
She knew damn well it was and for a moment, we smiled at each other. I took the mug and put it down on my desk, careful to slide an exercise book in under it.
"Where you going, then?"
She folded her arms - which meant, 'Don't try bull-shitting me, matey'.
"To the flats."
"What's going on?"
"Just someone's birthday."
"Yeah?"
"Yeah, I don't know her… but I'm invited."
"Sounds good."
"Yeah."
She moved over to the window and looked down.
"Blimey."
"Yeah."
0 Replies

Iwa

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 10:51 pm
the color of first story is grey,full of confusion and struggle of young people.it's a successful creative wirting.and personally speaking, i like the second one, though it is short ,it remains some room for our imagination.and i have a question, the second story wasn't finished yet?
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 12:04 am
Hi Iwa

I'm not sure, but I don't think the second story's finished... guess i'll write more when the mood takes me
- writing about London is always a tough one for me.

Thanks for taking a look and posting your thoughts.

Peace
Endy
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 11:45 am

So…

I've decided to take my work back underground.
To stop it falling into the wrong hands.

('Music For The Jilted Generation' ~ The Prodigy)

Breathe
Endymion 2008

It was a Friday.

I took the footpath alongside the railway, at the back of Fenwick St - a row of dirty terraced houses; black and scarred. Looking down into brick-walled yards, where little kids played, shouting under washing hung to dry, below a pale blue sky.

Night was still hours away.

A cat sat on a shed roof watching me. Swinging its grey head slowly from left to right as I went by.
We looked each other in the eye.

"Peter! Ge' in 'ere f'ya tea, nah, " a voice screeched.

A door slammed. The cat turned and ran, leaping down onto grass with a thump. One back leg a stump.

Two girls were walking towards me up the path.
One pushed a pram and she leaned in and laughed, saying something to her baby.
I dunno why, but it fazed me.

I knew I'd seen her before, somewhere in school. She was skinny and tall, with peace signs all over her jacket.
A loony fanatic. (At least, that's what I'd been told, by the mould).

They saw me coming and started nudging one another.
I knew the smaller girl… (Well, at least I knew her brother).
Still, my face was burned by their black ringed eyes and I pretended to see something, somewhere, high up in the sky.

"Alec, ain't it?" The smaller girl asked, as I tried to slip by them, on the edge of the path. She had a Guns N' Roses badge pinned to her lapel.
(I thought Guns N' Roses were a bunch of girls).

"Yeah, I know your brother, Tad," I said.
(And didn't add, last time I'd seen him, he'd been pissed off his head).
Instead, I looked down at the baby, lying asleep on it's back.
Its skin was almost black.

"Whoa," I heard myself say.

The tall girl glanced at me and I felt ashamed as she nudged the pram into action, driven by my dumb reaction.

"Sorry." I barely said, to the back of her head.

As they continued on I heard the small one claim,
"F-cking blokes, they're all the same."

For a moment I stood there, watching them go.
Tad's sister looked back once, but her tall friend didn't slow.
So I turned and tried to forget her, but I knew how much I had hurt her. I'd seen it right there in her eyes.
A look of sad surprise.

"****." I told the sky.

Then a car backfired in Fenwick street. A boy on a swing showed me the soles of his feet.
As he swung the other way, he was smiling through the air. He waved to me once, as I drew near.
Both chains wobbled to the left.
I held my breath. But he was alright. He jumped from the swing and ran out of sight.

The dog at number 14, hit the garden gate as I was passing and I winced at its barking.

"F-ck you." I said, as I drew level, refusing to look at the snarling muzzle, as it snapped at me through a hole
in the trellis, which someone had put up to discourage
any leaping of the wall.
The mutt was fairly small, but wild-eyed and insane, with a locked-on brain.

Further along, the path was littered with all manner of ****. Like someone had emptied their dustbin out on it. Then kicked it around a bit.

I spotted a fag packet and trod on it.

I kicked a beer can and it bounced sharply away, into some bushes, where no doubt it would remain, rusting away, like an old man over the years, who has drunk too many beers.

My watch said 5 : 23 - and I could feel time rushing, coming up behind me - about to arrive, like a sudden surprise.

When I heard the train I turned to walk backwards and stuck out my thumb.
It was an old train pulling out of London, on a tired track.
The driver got a look at me and waved back as he whipped by, chased by the carriages and briefly seen faces, smudged behind glass and then gone.

The hot smell of diesel rolled over me as I turned and continued on. Watching the train out of sight.

I was waiting for night.

When I got to Ali's Café and Bar, I knew Mo was in there because I'd just passed his car, parked down the road, where it wouldn't get towed.

The day was turning grey. Clouding over.
I was glad to get in, undercover - as I open the Café door and was met by the heat and the roar of usual evening punters.
Good-time hunters on the ever after.
A bright percussion of cutlery and laughter.

The ground floor was crammed full of tables, with almost every seat filled. The kitchen counter was lit up bright, with hot ovens and grills.
Ali looked up as I stepped inside.
The relief on his face was impossible to hide.

"Sorry 'bout this," he said, his eyes rolling up in his head.

He was chopping spring onions on a piece of wood.
Something smelt good.

"I've got two out sick and Terry, the prick, rings up from A&E -………playing football at his age - twisted his f-cking knee."

"You're joking."

"Nope. The jerk."

"Alright, but I've been smoking…and I ain't got me shirt."

"No matter - you can borrow one of mine. Out the back, on the washing line…. and take your time. Get yourself a coffee. Start at seven, go until eleven, that'll be fine."

"So…. that's toasted ham twice, one curry'n'rice, three cups of tea… one bowl of chips, two types of dip…. and **** for free."

"Ha f-cking ha, you nutter… Oh, and Alec? "

"Mm?"

"I like me toast buttered."

"Hey, Alec, have you seen Vincent? Someone said he got collared the other night… got into a fistfight outside the flats. Says someone tried to kill his cat."

(Mo takes a sip of his drink, looks at me and winks… )

"F-cker's going bats."

"No, he ain't Mo. Look, I gotta go."

"You washing dishes out the back? Got ya pair of marigolds?"

(His girlfriend laughs at that).

"Look, I'll see you later mate. I'll be working late, so don't wait."

A bird claw pinches my arm.

"Alec, dear… could you ask Mr Ali if my husband could have his steak cooked exactly like it was last week… he said that was the best one yet."

"You bet."

"Now don't forget."

"Hey, Sam - can I get a bottle of whiskey for my old man?"

Sam looks at me; laughs and shakes his head, "Don't tell me 'e likes this stuff," he says.

"Well - 'e thought it weren't too bad, for a fiver."

"Yeah, an' 'e don't 'ave ta leave the friggin sofa, niver."

I shrug and begin to turn away…"Whatever you say."

"Alright, okay - but kid…make sure you stick to the beer, d'you hear? This whiskey's like poison to your brain…. You drink this stuff regular - you ain't never the same again. "

"Sure Sam."

"I'm not pissing on your old man, but things can get out of hand… and don't let Ali know I sold you this or he'll be really ripping it. D'you hear? He'll sling me out on me f-cking ear. These Arab blokes are very f-cking proud and breaking English laws ain't allowed. Not even for a cockney geezer. "

" Okay. Look, I'll see ya … Don't worry about Ali. He won't know. "

(I glance at my watch)

"Look, I've gotta go. "

Sam hands me the bottle in exchange for the cash."

"Now get out o' here, before Ali comes back."

On the street it's dark and windy. I step outside and the cold air seizes me.
A taxicab slips slowly by and the woman inside catches my eye.
Her face is pale and solemn. Her eyes bright.

I watch red taillights fizzle out of sight.

Then a dustbin rolls over in a street around the back. Across the park a big dog barks, somewhere near the railway tracks. I head out that way.
At night the park gates are chained, but I have no trouble climbing the wall. I've been doing it since I was small and I know the best way to go about it. My feet don't doubt it. They land steady in the grass on the other side.
I crouch in the dark. Prepared to hide.
But all is still.

In front of me, the tree-lined park opens wide and I head across grass towards the railway lines.

I'm late, but I take my time.

0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 10:56 am
Excellent story. Catches us at the very beginning and doesn't let go. The protagonist and Charlie are pretty well developed, and the read grows to accept them even when they aren't particularly likable. You seem to have an affinity for death themes, and death makes for very good drama. Everyone is interested in death so you have a built in audience. Thematically death is a great device, but if you are personally obsessed with it, it can make for a pretty dismal life. Chill out and have a lager, Mate.

How is the editing process for the novel going? When can we expect to read the new draft? I'd like to suggest that you keep the manuscript together now and periodically save it to Adobe Acrobat. Have you identified and contacted literary agents to handle that project? Writing a publishable novel takes time, talent and persistence. We know you can do that very well. The next step, the editing process takes almost as long and its much less exciting. Deciding to leave behind favored scraps on the cutting room floor can be traumatic. And, the drudgery of painstaking checks for spelling, typo, word choice, and grammar is less than underwhelming. Finding an agent and publisher seems on the surface to have little to do with the writing, and it takes sooooo long to accomplish. One's confidence can be severely tested by polite rejections, but it only takes one agent, one publisher, who see the value of the work for it to get into print. Your's is a short novel, but I believe in it and that it will do well in the marketplace. Ambrose Bierce was asked what inspired him to write and his response was, "five cents a word." I'm certain that your combined advances and royalties will come to quite a bit more.

So, off your lazy butt and to work literary slave.

Ash
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 01:49 pm
I just read through the first story a second time. It is top notch. Then, the last one. Enjoyed it also.
0 Replies