When did America give up on Democracy????????

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2024 11:45 pm
So what's really going on ? Do we want to be a white only 'Christian' living place? When did we decide that anyone who is not an old school Christian devotee was not the person who could speak out loud in this country about religious diversity? Can anyone tell me which religious "Christian" denomination is paramount? I just want to know which church I need to send money to in order to respected as an American. I spent 32 years working for DOD in an effort to keep our country safe (somewhat like my Dad who spent 6 years in the Army Air Corps keeping us safe from a foreign threat). So were we all just suckers and losers? Like all the people killed in combat? If that's the case, shame on all of you.

hightor

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2024 04:52 am
@glitterbag,
I think a lot of it has to do with the insane amount of wealth concentrated in the hands of major conservative brokers. The right had been dreaming about undoing the New Deal for years but didn't have the means, especially since the programs were popular. All they could do was rant about welfare queens, student demonstrators, uppity Negroes, and tree huggers. But this changed in the '80s with the growth of financial schemes and lax regulation of the financial industry. Short selling, hedge funds, and the growth of computerized stock trading resulted in an unprecedented accumulation of wealth in the hands of the few.

Not all the new billionaire class were conservatives, of course, but the rightists were the ones who used this money to used to fund the conservative think tanks. Organizations like the Heritage Foundation and the Federalist Society realized that the best way of achieving their ends, which still weren't particularly popular with the masses, was to change the makeup of the judicial system. And, bit by bit, they were able to install judges, and eventually Supreme Court justices. And the attack on the administrative state, begun by Justice Powell (who was appointed by Nixon), went into overdrive.

But they had one problem. Their cause still wasn't that popular. And that's where the religious right played such an important role. Getting everyone mad about abortion, sex ed, and homosexuals started bringing people to the polls who never voted that much before. The real enemy wasn't the USSR, it was the "liberals" who were busing your children, producing godless movies, and extolling women's liberation – and a bit later, coming to take your guns. As blatham mentioned last week, most of these upper crust conservatives never gave a damn about abortion, but cynically used the issue to gather votes from outraged church-goers and back country good ol' boys. But their ultimate goal isn't a Christian state – it's a de-regulated one. And, having the money to stack the courts, they now have the chance to succeed.
Ragman

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2024 05:03 am
@hightor,
Hmmmm! You’re making far too much sense. ‘After the ‘60-70s ‘Us’ Liberals got established, richer, more passive, older and took government for granted. The leaders got co-opted and took the easy way out.

Well…Gotta sip some more tasty Hawaiian coffee, play some computer games before I think some more about it. Tsk, tsk…where has democracy gone, Joe DiMaggio?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2024 06:07 am
@hightor,
The Republicans in 21st century America on the one hand and the Prussian landowners in the 19th century German Empire on the other have a lot more in common than you might think when you first read this sentence:

In times of rapid social change, there are always groups that see themselves as the losers of this change. In the late 19th and early 20th century empire, the landowning elite felt threatened by industrialisation and the onset of democratisation. Politically speaking, they were a minority. In the USA today, we live in a system in which all adults have the right to vote and in a society whose demographics are changing rapidly. This change often threatens traditional, white, Christian voters for whom this identity is very important - especially in rural areas. They no longer represent the majority of the population. And so there is a fear of the rule of the majority and a backlash against democratisation, as could also be observed in the late 19th century, particularly in Prussia. As was the case here back then, there is a danger today in the USA that this backlash will cause democracy to fail.

Apparently, many people who are deeply rooted in their white and Christian identity feel that they are in decline.
This is a minority of voters that I believe is favoured by the American electoral system.

Not only for the US citizens the Constitution is a remarkable and defensible document. But it is the oldest written constitution in the world and - you don't need to have studied history to know this - dates back to a pre-democratic era.
It is therefore not surprising that it was not democratic in the modern sense from the outset. But it was changed, exactly 27 times, and it was made more democratic. However, it has been modernised much less frequently than other constitutions; indeed, it is probably the most difficult constitution of all to amend.

If no thought is given to how to make the constitution more democratic, then - to exaggerate - Trump will become an authoritarian 'surrogate king'. And the then ruling 'minority' will be satisfied.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2024 06:24 am
I was born during FDR's time in office and though my family made dirt poor look comfortable, I could see how The New Deal benefitted us as a whole. I was conditioned to believe we would continue in that vein until a perfect society was achieved. I believed the Democrats and Republicans might disagree but in the end wanted to improve us all. I didn't begin to feel concern over the actions of government until it seemed we were unfair to Cuba. Then Vietnam and the handling of The Black Panthers showed me that we may be allowed to disagree with government but were not allowed to organize the poor or publicly disagree by having demonstrations. Bombing a houseful of citizens in Philadelphia, murdering MLK and Malcolm X. Reagan, the willing stooge of big money turned me off of voting for any Republican. My conditioning had not fully worn off and I believed Clinton would turn us back to FDR's America. Instead, the Clintons turned me off voting for Democrats. I had a hard time processing the ascendance of Bush and then Trump and Biden. It all leaves me wondering When did America ever have democracy?
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2024 06:36 am
Good points, everyone.

This topic could be more effectively covered in a book!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2024 08:18 am
I have to amend the above. I first realized that the government will often take no proper action when my teacher taught us about Emmitt Till.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 12:45 pm
Heritage Foundation president celebrates Supreme Court immunity decision: “We are in the process of the second American Revolution”

“We're in the process of taking this country back ... we ought to be really encouraged by what happened yesterday”

Quote:
KEVIN ROBERTS (HERITAGE FOUNDATION PRESIDENT): In spite of all this nonsense from the left, we are going to win. We're in the process of taking this country back. No one in the audience should be despairing.

No one should be discouraged. We ought to be really encouraged by what happened yesterday. And in spite of all of the injustice, which, of course, friends and audience of this show, of our friend Steve know, we are going to prevail.

Number two, to the point of the clips and, of course, your preview of the fact that I am an early American historian and love the Constitution. That Supreme Court ruling yesterday on immunity is vital, and it's vital for a lot of reasons. But I would go to Federalist No. 70.

If people in the audience are looking for something to read over Independence Day weekend, in addition to rereading the Declaration of Independence, read Hamilton's No. 70 because there, along with some other essays, in some other essays, he talks about the importance of a vigorous executive.

You know, former congressman, the importance of Congress doing its job, but we also know the importance of the executive being able to do his job. And can you imagine, Dave Brat, any president, put politics off to the side, any president having to second guess, triple guess every decision they're making in their official capacity, you couldn't have the republic that you just described.

But number three, let me speak about the radical left. You and I have both been parts of faculties and faculty senates and understand that the left has taken over our institutions. The reason that they are apoplectic right now, the reason that so many anchors on MSNBC, for example, are losing their minds daily is because our side is winning.

And so I come full circle on this response and just want to encourage you with some substance that we are in the process of the second American Revolution, which will remain bloodless if the left allows it to be.

mediamatters
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 01:41 pm
@hightor,
In short, be still as we shackle you. There will be no freedom until the empire falls. This new Reich smells victory.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2024 02:33 pm
@hightor,
Translation: I "love the Constitution", but we need an emperor.
0 Replies