I no longer view my brother as a family member

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2024 06:08 am
Hello everyone, I would like to share some family issues I have been facing. Long story short, I no longer think of my brother as a family member because he has greatly disappointed me in the last decade.
It all started when I was 16 ( I am 28 years old now). My brother (18 at the time) out of nowhere stopped talking to us even though we greeted him as usual. He was mad because of a petty reason and persisted for a month. Then he came around and everything seemed fine. However, he resumed this sort of silence treatment and stopped engaging in any family activities till now. During a big fight with mom he said that our parents didn't give him the childhood he thought he deserved, meaning that they didn't buy him everything he wanted. Our family isn't rich, we lean more on the low-income family but despite that, our parents always made sure that we had a safe home and food on our plates, also they always tried to accommodate our needs. Anyway, he claimed that he did everything alone, that no one raised him, which I assure you, it's not true. He thinks that he is superior to all of us, especially our parents. There are many instances where he acted selfishly and conceitedly but the worst part was when my father had an eye surgery that didn't go as we hoped and ended with a severe loss of vision. During his recovery time, my brother never ever asked my father how he was doing, he never even called him while in the hospital, I was so mad for that.
He is obsessed with being rich, he flaunts everything he can buy now that he has a job, in fact he started buying groceries only for himself and cooks only for himself, which is fine. Yet, he expects to find dinner ready for him and I am usually the one in charge of that. There were times when we would all be out to work or in my case university, and he would be the only one at home since he works from home, and he wouldn't cook dinner but waited for one of us to do it, even if it were 8 or 9 pm. And then he would eat as if it was normal. He is the most selfish human I have ever known, I just don't understand where all his rage and selfishness stems from.
I recently graduated from med school, and not only he questioned my morals saying that I didn't want to be a doctor to help people and that I would end up living with a paycheck till I reach retirement age, he also never congratulated my achievement. Even friends I hadn't heard from in a long time reached out to me to congratulate me and my own blood-related brother didn't say a word.
I no longer consider him a brother or a family member yet I am forced to live under the same roof and unfortunately be a spectator to his abnormal behaviour. When I challenged him to move from home since he was so rich, he said that he was looking at the bigger picture and would move out probably at 40 years old since by then he would have accumulated a significant amount of money. I, on the other hand, believe that he is a coward and enjoys the comforts that derive from living with your family such as not paying utility bills, not having to do and fold your laundry since mom does it for him, never throwing out the trash basically never acting as an independent adult, because you have other people doing it for you. He thinks he is so smart and that his mindset is the only correct one, that becoming a millioner is the only thing that will give him true happiness. I think that if you are empty inside and don't know how to love or care for others, no amount of money can fix that.
Does any of you have similar experiences? Can you give me some advice?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 141 • Replies: 0
No top replies