msolga

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 07:00 am
My precious grey cat is very, very ill.
My vet has told me his kidneys are failing & it will not be long before he won't want to eat at all.
He's had all the medication that could possibly help, now it's just a matter of keeping him comfortable for as long as I can.

So, some suggestions please, if you've been in this position:
Apart from chicken, salmon, etc., any ideas of EXCITING food that entices him to eat?
Also, any suggestions on how to keep him as comfortable as possible?

Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,290 • Replies: 70
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 07:11 am
i am sooooo sorry Msolga!

My cat just would not eat - but I gave her water in an eye-dropper.

there are some high nutrient gels you can get - they eat them because you pop them in their mouth.

I had my Phoebe put down when she began to look a little miserable.

I do hope things ar eeasy and gentle fpr you and your puss cat.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 07:17 am
Thankyou Deb.
The vet really has tried everything. Now it's just steroids with vitamins once a week. He's still eating, but I'm concerned that he'll get sick of the same old stuff that works at the moment (mainly fish for human consumption). As the vet told me a couple of days ago, it's just a matter of time, now ..
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 07:21 am
Indeed - I hope you have a lovely final time together.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 07:29 am
Yes, I'm trying ... but it's terribly sad, as you'd know, Deb.
The most difficult thing will be deciding WHEN is the right time to say that's enough pain & discomfort. Right now he seems reasonably happy sleeping a lot.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 07:47 am
Hmmm - I think you will know. I did - but the vet persuaded me to go a little longer - I think they do get very sleepy - my little one died in my arms - purring - but don't leave it too long I would say.

Sigh.

At least we can make sure they do not suffer. More than we can do for the average person...

Can you take a couple of days off work and be with him?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 07:51 am
Have delayed getting back to work, Deb. Not for this reason, but now I'm glad that my time is free. Being around seems to help him a lot ... Like encouraging him to eat & sitting in the sun with him. (he LIKES that!)
Trouble is, now the other 2 appear to be starting to fret ...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 08:00 am
Awwww - tell 'em to wait their turn!

It will be lovely for you to have had the time to sit peacefully in the sun with him - and they DO love it. They know when their time is coming...
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 08:06 am
Aww Olga - I am so sorry to hear that

<BIG HUGZ>
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 08:09 am
Yes, it seems that way.
Thanks again, Deb. Much appreciated.
I can recall you talking about Phoebe's illness on other threads. That must have been very hard for you. It just makes you feel so helpless ...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 08:11 am
Thankyou, Gautam. I appreciate your thoughts & the hug!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 08:16 am
Well, Olga - to be honest, though I am very sad when it happens - I have had so many animals that I accept it pretty naturally.

Phoebe WAS special, though - she was THE animal amongst so many. But, she had a long, happy and interesting life - and we shared so much during her 14 years - I think it is a segment of your life that they represent, especially when they are old and they have shared a great arc of your time.

I was happy that she did not suffer and I was with her. I still cry when I really think about it though!

Oscar is starting to show early signs of the same thing - so he is getting extra love these days.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 08:22 am
Yes, I know what you mean, Deb. I AM coping with this so much better than previous animals I've had to have put to sleep. (Though I'd MUCH prefer it if they lived as long as humans! Very Happy )
Phoebe certainly sounds like one she was one of the GREAT cats! Such a clever critter, from what I recall from old Abuzz threads,
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 08:24 am
That's how I lost my last cat, msolga. When he could no longer get up on the chair beside me, I decided it was time. Bless his heart, he never seemed to know he was sick.

Small pieces of raw liver were the last thing he was willing to eat. They tried a low protein diet on him, as that eases the strain on the kidneys. After a day of refusal, I quit torturing him and gave him anything he was willing to try.

Stay with him at the end. His last sight on earth should be you.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 08:29 am
The amazing things with cats, sometimes they never do know they're sick. But, sometimes they do.

MsOlga I'm sorry to here about your kitty. As you know I've had my share of sick kitties and my sister has a 18 year old who will be gone before summer. My sis is trying to figure out how long to go. But, I think she'll put her down soon.

My Screech will stop eating periodically, I think he has pancreatitis like his sister did. The one food he will always eat is fancy feast. Apparently kitten food is easier to handle for old and sick cats. Tuna is an old stand by as well.

With my cat, I force feed him a bit here and there when he stops eating because I know it's an episode to get through. I imagine that from what you say yours is not going through an episode, eh?

I'm glad you have the time off work and the time to just be with him. I'm sorry you're so sad.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 08:31 am
Aw Roger, you put a lump in my throat.
Yes, I figured that it was no longer possible to give him the special low protein diet ... He simply REFUSED to eat it anymore. So now he can have anything he wants!
I'm sorry that you went through this sad process, too. Not easy is it?
And yes, I'll be there till the end ...
Thankyou for your kind words, Roger
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 08:35 am
Do you feel like telling us a little about this lovely cat and your life with him, Olga?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 08:40 am
littlek

Kitten food! I didn't think of that! Will try some tomorrow as I'm sure he'll tire of the salmon, tuna & the "fishy" varieties of cat food soon.
I DO know you've had you're share of sick critters, littlek. An awful, stressful business, I know .... How is Screech coping this week? Eating fitfully, I do hope!
Thankyou so much for your kind thoughts & suggestions.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 08:41 am
Actually this week screech is starting to "act a little funny". Back to fancy feast....

Yes do tell us a bit about your little prescious one.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 08:49 am
dlowan wrote:
Do you feel like telling us a little about this lovely cat and your life with him, Olga?

He's a gorgeous, sleek, grey specimen that was thrown over our fence during the last Gulf War, would you believe. And he got to stay. Rats often gets mistaken for a Russian Blue when I take him on his (many) vet visits.(maybe he is!)
He's very, very loyal ... In fact will not allow anyone but me to pick him up. No one else would DARE try! He looks too scarey!
He is my shadow, follows me everywhere. And he has/had a delightfully wicked streak & enjoyed hi jinx.
He is sitting here quietly next to the computer desk where I'm typing this ... While Tuxedo cat sits on the other side. My 17 year old tabby has gone to bed ... past her bed time!
0 Replies