Everybody Had Enough of Everyone Posting Whole Articles?

sumac

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 12:02 pm
I agree with Foxfyre.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 12:35 pm
sozobe wrote:
But even so, it's very simple to do the following:

1.) Copy a sentence from the article......The chances are very high that you will find the same article hosted somewhere else.

And again, the excerpt can contain the meat of it, whatever it is that you're trying to substantiate.

that's been my experience in most cases, as well, soz.

it seems like usually, if the quote or core issue is really in play, it gets picked up and passed around on different sites. if we really want to know that bad, it might take some work.

and really, don't we all pretty much know,or at least have an opinion about who's who in the reporting world ?

if a quote comes from moveon or townhall, we have a fairly good idea what pov is gonna be favored, right?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 08:11 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
So what does "fair use" mean? Good question.

This is something I run into a lot, fair use is a tough one.

On another site I run we invoke fair use a lot. It's a purely academic site and we are collecting information that is not collected anywhere else to the degree we are doing so.

Critical to the usefullness of this information is media articles from many many years ago that are not preserved elsewhere online where we can link to.

But here it would be a tough legal sell. And the precedents out there are not too encouraging (e.g. see Free Republic's battle with the LA Times and Washington Post).

Online publishers rely on advertising to support the cost of their content, and while it's negligible amounts at a time each time someone reads an article copied elsewhere instead of on their site there is a direct relationship to financial loss.

So they pick fights about it and have won damages in the past. Smaller sites are under the radar and can usually get away with it, but legal teams are actively pursuing the larger ones.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 08:22 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
Since "fair use" is up in the air and open to interpretation, I guess it comes down to what the Webmaster of the individual site feels comfortable with. He is going to be the one opening up the envelope from the law firm that says he's getting sued.

<tugs at collar>

Hey! Y'all can get sued too, y'know? It is likely that any legal action would start with the site (even if it is to subpoena our logs to identify an end user for litigation) but the ultimate responsibility of postings here remains with the poster him/herself.

Quote:
I would also hope that the Webmaster writes a prohibition against posting entire articles in the Terms Of Service as soon as it is convenient.

Thing is, this just isn't one of our rules. It's copyright law. It has been dealt with in the TOS here:

http://www.able2know.com/disclaimer.php#3g

We don't have the resources to proactively enforce copyright law. We provide a service that allows nearly anyone to use and over which we have limited control.

Said users have to use said service in compliance with the law, just as we have to run it in compliance with law.

So while we don't have time to discover the copyright status of each text posted here we do have to cooperate with intellectual property owners who claim their copyrights are being infringed upon here.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 08:33 pm
nimh wrote:
realjohnboy wrote:
Oh my. A bunch of A2Kers are going to jail.

But, for a good anti-capitalist cause. I'll be a political prisoner.

Dotcommunist! Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 11:24 pm
Or Dotcon.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 05:17 am
Laughing
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 12:53 pm
OK. I'll refrain from posting the entire article. Maybe all but the last sentence. But with attribution, always.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:03 pm
from one of my favourite online mags
from the September/October issue - online today

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=3176

The Public Domain
Here Today, Gone Tomorrow

Quote:
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 06:23 am
Quote:
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 06:25 am
It seems that my initial sentence 'didn't take'. It was: Yes, indeed. And from the same source as quoted by ehBeth above:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 02:33 pm
I thought the publication of that entire issue was timely, given where this discussion went.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 01:58 pm
Agreed.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 05:40 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Those who are copying and pasting whole articles are violating copyright laws.

Craven de Kere wrote:
Duplicating copywrited content in this medium is not legal, and it's the duplication that makes it so, not whether or not it's cited.

It's legal to excerpt but not to reproduce, and I occasionally get legal threats about it and have to remove them.

Acknowledged and noted.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 08:02 am
Late, but acknowledged and noted also.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:47 am
HELP, I'm unable to post. I get getting a general error - debug mode.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 11:04 am
Foxfyre wrote:

It seems you are able to post.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 11:14 am
There is upheaval in A2K land...this too shall pass...
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 05:14 pm
panzade wrote:
There is upheaval in A2K land...this too shall pass...

It seems to have...
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 06:38 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

Yeah, there was funny business going on early (for me) this morning. Duplicates, triplicates, and whole threads disappearing. Sad
0 Replies