Everybody Had Enough of Everyone Posting Whole Articles?

Noddy24

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 04:13 pm
Lettie (and other kindred souls)--

I am a fuddled Luddite.

In the past I've had trouble posting links--particularly from The New Yorker Cartoon Bank. I was posting long, long links that wouldn't take anyone, anywhere.

Then I discovered:

http://snipurl.com/index.php

Long link? No problem. I enter it and through the magic of cyberspace the long link is condensed to a shorter one that works.

Bliss.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 06:59 pm
I can't link anything from Yahoo either, I have just learned to follow the path to the original (or just another) source. But I think I might check out Noddy's link just to see if the links from yahoo work.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:50 am
Noddy24, thanks for the link. I used on another thread and I was able to link from yahoo. I haven't been able to for a pretty good long while and was having to resort to linking from some obscure sources.

As just an added comment, I shortened my article after reading some of the comments from this thread. :wink:
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 06:52 pm
I haven't read the whole thread, so amid the discussions on what is preferable or what is more Abuzz-like ("becoming Abuzz" is our Godwin's Law trigger) I don't know if mere law is mentioned.

Those who are copying and pasting whole articles are violating copyright laws.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 06:53 pm
Even if you cite the author?

<grimace>
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:36 pm
Yes, similarly if I were to duplicate a DVD and distribute it, crediting the cast and crew wouldn't make it any less illegal.

Duplicating copywrited content in this medium is not legal, and it's the duplication that makes it so, not whether or not it's cited.

It's legal to excerpt but not to reproduce, and I occasionally get legal threats about it and have to remove them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:36 pm
Thanks, I suspected that.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:39 pm
I'll remember not to do it again.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:43 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
I haven't read the whole thread, so amid the discussions on what is preferable or what is more Abuzz-like ("becoming Abuzz" is our Godwin's Law trigger) I don't know if mere law is mentioned.

Those who are copying and pasting whole articles are violating copyright laws.

Wow! I never knew that.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 08:06 pm
Just look at the bottom of those articles and you will see the copyright information.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 08:47 pm
Oh my. A bunch of A2Kers are going to jail. I will come visit yall.

I agree with Kelticwizard. If you believe strongly in an issue, cite the sources for your facts, but make the pitch in your own words.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 08:49 pm
Yeah, but I didn't think that meant you couldn't post them on a forum.

I'll be careful not to do that.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 09:00 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
It's legal to excerpt but not to reproduce, and I occasionally get legal threats about it and have to remove them.

do you remove just the reproduced article, or the entire thread? i'm curious because i noticed a thread in which i'd posted disappeared in the last few hours.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 08:43 am
realjohnboy wrote:
Oh my. A bunch of A2Kers are going to jail.

But, for a good anti-capitalist cause. I'll be a political prisoner.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 08:59 am
Intrepid wrote:
Just look at the bottom of those articles and you will see the copyright information.

... it varies from site to site. most say don't republish the whole thing <though you're free to print it all out and distribute it - what?> - others say go ahead and copy/republish, but give us credit. ya have to read each one carefully - and excerpt and link if you can't figure out the legalese
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:07 am
In the US, almost every work created after 1989 is copyrighted, whether it has a copyright notice or not. Subject to certain exceptions, the owner of a copyright has the exclusive right to do and authorize the reproduction of the work. Title 17 of the USC has certain exceptions to the limitation on exclusive rights, including "fair use."

Quote:
TITLE 17 > CHAPTER 1 > § 107

§ 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use
Release date: 2005-08-01

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

So what does "fair use" mean? It's not an easy question to answer. "Fair use" is a balancing of the public's need to know and be informed against authors' need to protect and create a work.

"The copyright law contemplates that fair use of a copyrighted work without permission shall be for purposes such as (1) criticism and comment, (2) parody and satire, (3) scholarship and research, (4) news reporting and (5) teaching, and that such fair use will not result in the infringement of a copyrighted work. As one may expect, authors and publishers usually take a restrictive view of the fair use doctrine, while users of copyrighted materials generally take a more expansive view." Source.

Section 107 contains 4 factors to be used in analyzing whether a use of copyrighted material qualifies as "fair use." There is a preference for "fair use" designation to noncommercial or educational works. "Fair use" is more likely the case where the copyrighted work is more "informative" in nature, as opposed to "creative." In other words, replication of a news account is more likely to be considered a "fair use" than replication of a short story (i.e., is the purpose of the original work to educate, or to entertain?). Applying the third factor, if you copy the entire work, it is more likely to not be "fair use" than if only replicating an excerpt. That's what Craven was referring to. The fourth factor looks to the effect or harm, actual or potential, on the market caused by the replication of the work. This final factor is probably the most essential.

"Courts have expressed this standard by finding that the unauthorized use is not fair use if the unauthorized use tends to lessen or negatively impact the potential sale of the original copyrighted work, interferes with the marketability of the work, or fulfills the demand for the original copyrighted work." Source.

So what does "fair use" mean? Good question.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:15 am
I'd suspect that not much that happens at A2K has any impact on potential sales of anything.

Except maybe bicycles.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 11:54 am
ehBeth wrote:
I'd suspect that not much that happens at A2K has any impact on potential sales of anything.

Except maybe bicycles.

Of course, there are only 45,000 member here Cool
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 12:01 pm
Intrepid wrote:
ehBeth wrote:

Except maybe bicycles.

Of course, there are only 45,000 member here Cool

let's hope advertisers don't realize that; not that i like ads, but better that than no a2k.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 12:01 pm
I tried downloading ehBeth's new bicycle and the keyboard locked up.
0 Replies