Bored

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 11:59 am
There aren't any more problems in philosophy. Well, there might be one or two I've missed, but these would not take long to sort out, I am sure.
So now I can announce, not too prematurely I hope, that there aren't any problems left for me in philosophy; and that now I am just reduced to repeatedly trotting out the same old answers to the same old problems. Ladies and Gentlemen, I thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 681 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 12:00 pm
<<snort>> Ok....why don't you come up with something to talk about? Obviously the worlds problems are not solved.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 12:03 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
<<snort>> Ok....why don't you come up with something to talk about? Obviously the worlds problems are not solved.

Yes, and alas! my fate is sealed. It appears I am reduced to telling people which end of their egg to crack first.
0 Replies

logicalunit42

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 12:17 pm
why don't you write a book, title it, i know all philosohpy, and make a fortune.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 12:22 pm
I take this to mean that you have solved all the problems to your own satisfaction. But if so you should be a very happy person, not bored. Conclusion: You missed something, or you misunderstood it.

But don't fret. Most of western philosophy is just fraud anyway. Nietzche excluded.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 12:36 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
I take this to mean that you have solved all the problems to your own satisfaction. But if so you should be a very happy person, not bored. Conclusion: You missed something, or you misunderstood it.

But don't fret. Most of western philosophy is just fraud anyway. Nietzche excluded.

The funny thing I think about Nietzche is that he would be banned from most moderated sites. As would Wittgenstein. Also, as I am myself.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 12:42 pm
JJ

What do you mean by boredom?
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 12:46 pm
spendius wrote:
JJ

What do you mean by boredom?

I don't mean anything by it. But we mean this: dull, uninteresting, possibly causing impatience or frustration.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 01:11 pm
Like causing you to book a foreign holiday or go play golf or somesuch.They are examples of expensive boredom relief aren't they?

What do you think of the ancient Greeks?
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 01:25 pm
spendius wrote:
Like causing you to book a foreign holiday or go play golf or somesuch.They are examples of expensive boredom relief aren't they?

What do you think of the ancient Greeks?

I think they knew how to swing a shillayleigh. The Greeks have been credited with inventing the golf-bag, which after some canny adjustments became a traditional Scottish musical instrument. For the Greeks, going on holiday far away was never a problem as Greece is quite near for most of them. So, the travel problem of the average Greek is relative, generally his in-law.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 01:47 pm
Actually JJ I meant the ones on these threads.You know-the ones who fear Faustianism.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 02:04 pm
spendius wrote:
Actually JJ I meant the ones on these threads.You know-the ones who fear Faustianism.

I am not acquainted with any Greek Gentlemen on these threads. I would implore them to announce themselves. I think that Faustianism and covorting with the devil in general, is enjoyed at all local theatres near you. Your typing remains, up the spout. Take care Sir, that you do not fall in a ditch and get thrown out of town as a vagrant.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 02:22 pm
Don't worry about that old boy.I'm in tight with the "landlord".
0 Replies