what is the difference between spirituality and religion

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 09:38 am
i mean, if you are spiritual, does that make you religios, or if you are religious, does that make you spiritual?

5 entries found for religion.
re·li·gion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-ljn)
n.

1. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
2. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

3 entries found for spirituality.
spir·i·tu·al·i·ty ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spr-ch-l-t)
n. pl. spir·i·tu·al·i·ties

1. The state, quality, manner, or fact of being spiritual.
2. The clergy.
3. Something, such as property or revenue, that belongs to the church or to a cleric. Often used in the plural.

2 entries found for spiritual.
spir·i·tu·al ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spr-ch-l)
adj.

1. Of, relating to, consisting of, or having the nature of spirit; not tangible or material. See Synonyms at immaterial.
2. Of, concerned with, or affecting the soul.
3. Of, from, or relating to God; deific.
4. Of or belonging to a church or religion; sacred.
5. Relating to or having the nature of spirits or a spirit; supernatural.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,100 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Equus

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 09:44 am
To me, religion implies structure/ some sort of METHOD of practicing spirituality. Spirituality would be a sense of the 'higher plane' but not necessarily organized.
0 Replies

logicalunit42

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 09:46 am
so if you can get to the higher plane without religion, why do you need religion
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 09:49 am
BBB
Religion means dogma to me. Dogma can only be enforced via organization and a power structure. I detest dogma. Spiritualism I can understand and respect as long as dogma is not involved.

BBB
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 09:56 am
I guess religion would be like a 'road map' for people who aren't able or are unwilling to find their spiritual way by themselves. Some road maps are better than others. Different road maps are successful for different people.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 04:12 pm
But just try getting your religion refolded.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 05:23 pm
Hmm. Well, I guess I would have to say that religion is bound with social reality.

Spirituality does not have to be.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 09:06 pm
For me, spirituality has a sense of wonder, mysticism, and awe. It can come from a sunset, a rainbow, receiving a phone call from a long lost friend two hours after thinking of her for the first time in years. It's a connection to that which has no explanation.

Religion is a structured practice that defines or celebrates the meaning or purpose of life here on earth and throughout the universe.

One can certainly be spiritual without a religious practice or tradition.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 11:41 am
I've heard Spirituality referred to as "do-it-yourself" religion. I'm not a member of any organized religion but I have a distrust for mysticism without any worldly feedback.
0 Replies

vfr

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:38 pm
"People that practice religion are worried about going to hell - people that practice spirituality have already been to hell and don't want to go back."

Good luck in finding peace with this topic,
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 12:41 am
vfr,

Ah, yes. I was just coming to find the end of this thread to post exactly what you posted. One of my very favorite descriptions.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 12:32 pm
Equus wrote:
To me, religion implies structure/ some sort of METHOD of practicing spirituality. Spirituality would be a sense of the 'higher plane' but not necessarily organized.

What are you referring to by 'religion'? If we say 'To me, X is..' then no-one will know what anyone is talking about.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 12:35 pm
J_B wrote:
For me, spirituality has a ..

What are you referring to by 'spirituality'? If we all say 'To me, X is..' then no-one will know what anyone is talking about.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 12:36 pm
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Religion means dogma to me.
BBB

What are you referring to by 'religion'? If we all say 'To me, X is..' then no-one will know what anyone is talking about.
0 Replies

subculture of one

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 09:08 am
Hrmmm... Interesting so far! I would also say that spirituality is mainly subjective and personal. Whereas religion is more the 'structure' of a particular faith system. Spirituality is a 'buffet' Religion is a 'menu'. There are a TON of good books that deal with this, but I shall try not to bore... One of them is 'Spiritual but not religious' by Robert C Fuller... Another one is 'Spiritual marketplace' by Wade Clark Roof.
0 Replies

subculture of one

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 09:11 am
Not to quibble John Jones, but if we all agree that we cannot possibly know what the 'other' is talking about then the forum becomes moot! 8)
I think that's the point of this topic yes? To find out what people attch to the concepts of 'religion' and 'sprituality'... Just my 3.5 cents.

Sub
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 12:18 pm
subculture_of_one wrote:
Not to quibble John Jones, but if we all agree that we cannot possibly know what the 'other' is talking about then the forum becomes moot! 8)
I think that's the point of this topic yes? To find out what people attch to the concepts of 'religion' and 'sprituality'... Just my 3.5 cents.

Sub

If everyone thinks something different about the words 'religion' and 'spirituality', then no-one can say what it is they are talking about. All that anyone can say is that they are referring to the letters that make up these words.

I will give an example. If you entered a new culture and everyone said "To me rutlingbotrum means ..." then, I would say that YOU WOULD NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT - even if they all told you what they thought of rutlingbotrum.
0 Replies

subculture of one

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 12:51 pm
Agreed John Jones...However, while I do agree that
1)language systems are imperfect for the transmission of complete ideas, and
2) that they are (in effect) 'economic'-we attch value and specific meaning as per circumstance etc.

We 'must' find a common ground from which to start. With this 'postmodernist' approach to language, translation becomes impossible and pointless (as does ALL learning and interpersonal communication) Shocked , though I know (as I'm sure we all do) plenty of people who been successful in learning a new language, even though they can NEVER KNOW exactly what something means to everyone/anyone. Words are not ultimate in the sense that they have only a set number of meanings definitions, though through common usage, we have a place to start from .... The point of this thread is to _find out_ what these particular words mean to different individuals. Very Happy

Sub
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 02:50 pm
Spirituality is a gauge used to measure your life/soul/comitment to an organized, structured Religion.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 03:27 pm
subculture_of_one wrote:
Agreed John Jones...However, while I do agree that
1)language systems are imperfect for the transmission of complete ideas, and
2) that they are (in effect) 'economic'-we attch value and specific meaning as per circumstance etc.

We 'must' find a common ground from which to start. With this 'postmodernist' approach to language, translation becomes impossible and pointless (as does ALL learning and interpersonal communication) Shocked , though I know (as I'm sure we all do) plenty of people who been successful in learning a new language, even though they can NEVER KNOW exactly what something means to everyone/anyone. Words are not ultimate in the sense that they have only a set number of meanings definitions, though through common usage, we have a place to start from .... The point of this thread is to _find out_ what these particular words mean to different individuals. Very Happy

Sub

Yes, I was being over-zealous to make a point that, although not immediately necessary, might have had to be made on another occasion. Perhaps it was necessary to establish what the 'common ground' for these terms (religion, spirituality) is before describing individual experiences. But even then, I do not think that we can say 'what X means to me..'. Rather, we should say something like 'my experiences are these' - for the meaning of these words is always public, and not private.
0 Replies