301 redirect / pagerank & problems encountered

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 08:53 pm
Hi,

Does it really matter that if I do a 301 redirect for all my non-www to www. domains that i'll have to go and email all my linking partners to tell them to update the url to www.?

Does it really matter?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,206 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 01:31 am
The 301 redirect should be good enough for Google. I have not tested it on other engines very closely.
0 Replies

mwonders

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 05:54 am
Okay...the reason i'm asking is because I have a PR of 4 on both the non www and the www. page so what you think?

Alot of sites link to the www version and alot of sites link to the non www version.....

On a search engine saturation test i've seen all the major engines indexed both the www and the non-www pages.

Would this pose a problem for me later on?

It doesn't seem to be harming me at all since my PR for the both versions are the same..

Thoughts?

I just want to avoid having to email so much people to beg them to update my link to www. version if I do the 301 redirect...

If I do the 301 redirect and just not bother about having my linkers update their links to www. version would this be okay?

What will happen to the PR of the non www version?

What would happen to the PR of the www version?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 01:02 pm
mwonders wrote:
Okay...the reason i'm asking is because I have a PR of 4 on both the non www and the www. page so what you think?

Same as I thought last night when I answered you. ;-)
0 Replies

mwonders

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 05:15 pm
so Craven do you think I need to do the 301 redirect or should I not bother about it?

I should add I had a bandwidth exceed problem for 5 days...which caused my hosting to suspend my account...bad news is google dropped all my pages...and just has the web sites url....

i see both www. and non www. versions of the site with nothing/no titles/descriptions,etc...only the urls.. thousands of different pages (using your seo forum mod)

Will google eventually re-index my entire site?

should i hit the panic button?
0 Replies

mwonders

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 07:03 pm
UPDATE: I realise since google has dropped my pages due to the site being down for 5 days and there are duplicates in that www. and non www. will be crawled by google that I aiint going to take any chances..

Since i am seeing www. and non www. versions of my site on google without any info and titles I assume they will penalize me for duplicate content and probably drop my site alltogether....

So I put 301 redirect on my root .htaccess..as well as on my /forum .htaccess where i'm using your seo mod...

But one question..

when i put in the url mysite.com/forum it does not work...

if i put mysite.com/forum/ it works..

any suggestion on how to fix this?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 12:03 am
mwonders wrote:
so Craven do you think I need to do the 301 redirect or should I not bother about it?

Google tends to have no problems at all insofar as "duplicate content" on domain.com vs www.domain.com is concerned.

But it doesn't hurt to do so, it also doesn't hurt to try to get the links updated to a consistent standard.

It's just work, and it's up to you to decide whether it is worth doing so.

Quote:
I should add I had a bandwidth exceed problem for 5 days...which caused my hosting to suspend my account...bad news is google dropped all my pages...and just has the web sites url....

i see both www. and non www. versions of the site with nothing/no titles/descriptions,etc...only the urls.. thousands of different pages (using your seo forum mod)

Will google eventually re-index my entire site?

should i hit the panic button?

Yes and no.

mwonders wrote:
UPDATE: I realise since google has dropped my pages due to the site being down for 5 days and there are duplicates in that www. and non www. will be crawled by google that I aiint going to take any chances..

Since i am seeing www. and non www. versions of my site on google without any info and titles I assume they will penalize me for duplicate content and probably drop my site alltogether....

That would be a very unusual thing for Google to do. Don't worry about that.

Quote:
So I put 301 redirect on my root .htaccess..as well as on my /forum .htaccess where i'm using your seo mod...

But one question..

when i put in the url mysite.com/forum it does not work...

if i put mysite.com/forum/ it works..

any suggestion on how to fix this?

1) If this happens with www.domain.com/directory as well then see: mod_dir

2) If this only happens with your redirect, then from the directory above the forum, use mod_rewrite rules in a .htaccess file to redirect the "forumdirectoryname" string to the forum directory.
0 Replies

mwonders

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 06:28 am
Quote:
If this only happens with your redirect, then from the directory above the forum, use mod_rewrite rules in a .htaccess file to redirect the "forumdirectoryname" string to the forum directory.

I think this is what's happenning.

It aiint happening for www.site.com/forum but only for site.com/forum

I don't know how to do what you're saying so I pasted the code for your suggesstion if you get some time.

This is the redirect code that's in my root .htaccess
Code:
Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^.*mysite\.org [NC]
RewriteRule (.*) http://www.mysite.org/$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.mysite\.org
RewriteRule (.*) http://www.mysite.org/$1 [R=301,L]

RewriteRule ^forums.* index.php [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]*).html&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9]*) viewtopic.php?p=$1&highlight=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?p=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^view-poll([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&vote=viewresult [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9]*) viewtopic.php?t=$1&highlight=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html&view=newest viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=newest [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*)-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&start=$4 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&start=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html viewtopic.php?t=$1&start=$2&postdays=$3&postorder=$4&highlight=$5 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^mark-forum([0-9]*).html* viewforum.php?f=$1&mark=topics [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^updates-topic([0-9]*).html* viewtopic.php?t=$1&watch=topic [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^stop-updates-topic([0-9]*).html* viewtopic.php?t=$1&unwatch=topic [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]*).html viewforum.php?f=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]*).* viewforum.php?f=$1 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^topic-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).* viewforum.php?f=$1&topicdays=$2&start=$3 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^ptopic([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=previous [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^ntopic([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=next [L,NC]
deny from 67.38.7.129
deny from 67.38.15.1
0 Replies

mwonders

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 11:28 am
problems problems problems with 301 redirect
I've been encountering some new problems since re-directing with 301 from non www. to www.

Hopefully these problems can be sorted out and I wont have to think that this 301 redirect recommendations all over the web is a bad thing in some respects.

2) Whenever I now log into cpanel it seems to crash the server ..because for about 10 mins the hosting goes down and nothing is accessable (http, smtp,ftp,etc). Is the code creating some type of crashing loop?

3) To get past this I have to log into the cpanel directly from the hosting company client area....

Anyone willing to give me a hand here?

I have the 301 redirect (via .htaccess) set up on the root of the domain as well as on my /forum directory.

Code on root:
Code:
# -FrontPage-

IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*

<Limit GET POST>
#The next line modified by DenyIP
order allow,deny
#The next line modified by DenyIP
#deny from all
allow from all
</Limit>
<Limit PUT DELETE>
order deny,allow
deny from all
</Limit>
AuthName www.mysticalwonders.org
AuthUserFile /home/mystical/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.pwd
AuthGroupFile /home/mystical/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.grp

<Files 403.shtml>
order allow,deny
allow from all
</Files>

deny from 4.254.
deny from 4.240.
deny from 216.127.72.7

Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^mysite\.org
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.mysite.org/$1 [R=301,L]

RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]*).html&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9]*) viewtopic.php?p=$1&highlight=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^view-poll([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&vote=viewresult [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html&highlight=([a-zA-Z0-9]*) viewtopic.php?t=$1&highlight=$2 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html&view=newest viewtopic.php?t=$1&view=newest [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([a-zA-Z]*)-([0-9]*).* viewtopic.php?t=$1&postdays=$2&postorder=$3&start=$4 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^about([0-9]*).html viewtopic.php?t=$1&start=$2&postdays=$3&postorder=$4&highlight=$5 [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^stop-updates-topic([0-9]*).html* viewtopic.php?t=$1&unwatch=topic [L,NC]
RewriteRule ^topic-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*)-([0-9]*).* viewforum.php?f=$1&topicdays=$2&start=$3 [L,NC]
deny from 67.38.7.129
deny from 67.38.15.1

Code on /forum .htaccess file.
Code:RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www [NC]
RewriteRule (.*) http://www.mysite.org/group/$1 [R=301,L]

0 Replies

danimal

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:36 pm
mwonders, not sure what is causing your problem 'cause this stuff is mostly greek to me :-/ but a cursory glance indicates that you could be missing a line in your root .htaccess file:

Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} .
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.example\.com
RewriteRule (.*) http://www.example.com/$1 [R=301,L]

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum30/30999.htm
0 Replies