Q & A session 1

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 07:22 pm
Answer the following hypothetical questions as honestly as possible, and please explain your rationale. Pose your own question(s) if you wish.

Two of the three will occur for each situation. Rank your order of preference.

Situation 1:
a) kill a society of 100,000 people whom you do not personally know.
b) kill yourself
c) kill all your friends and family

Situation 2:
a) create peace for a society of 100,000 people whom you do not personally know.
b) create peace for yourself
c) create peace for all your friends and family.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,558 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 07:46 pm
1)
c,a,b

2)
a,b,c
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 07:46 pm
for situation 1: faced with that particular gruesome choice, i would kill myself. i wouldnt be able to live on with 100,000 innocent lives on my conscience, and without friends and family it wouldnt be worthwhile to go on living.

situation 2 is, surprisingly, much harder.

a first question is whether you can truly do a) or c) if you havent done b). can someone who has no peace in his own heart create real peace for others? won't he do it all wrong?

to choose b) may seem the egoistic, lazy choice, but on the other hand many may just be focusing on a) and c) simply because its probably a lot easier - i.e., less confronting, you don't have to go soul-searching like in b). a lot of those going out into the world to save it, or giving up their lives to take care of others, may just be running from themselves.

both of these observations suggest b) as the answer. but then again, i might just be one of those who's running away from themselves.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 07:48 pm
#1 - b,a,c
#2 - c,a,b

I guess I'm a little family oriented.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:09 pm
1) b c a
2) a c b

on 1, I don't want to kill anyone, but 100,00 even less than friends and family.

on 2, hard time choosing a or c, and eventually picked a for the greater good, reluctantly, would not do, no doubt, in real life. I already have peace of a sort,
not threated re myself. Picked (a) finally since my friends and most of my family would not like to see 100,000 under bomb attack, etc. and might just step in front too. Iffy, do I get to change my mind?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:43 pm
I'm with you osso, but b,c,a doesn't work. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:47 pm
Well, hey, in my view, none of them work. Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 09:39 pm
I don't know about that! I think Bush is working for a,c,b. c.i.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 11:52 pm
#1 Do you sacrifice the life of one for many or does the one impact the many in geometric manner, relating to #2?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 12:02 am
1) b,c,a
2) c,a,b

I also would not be able to live (would i? damn!) with the conscience responsible for deaths of others and for the peace, well, that does seem to be one level more distant, or less personal, so i would probably, in the real life, prefer my family. hypothetically i would prefer the peace for as many people as possible.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 01:31 am
Hell, I can't even answer the question.
0 Replies