DVD Audio

winda

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 04:30 pm
Does anybody know which program burns DVD audio? I normally use Nero Burning Rom 6 to burn MP3's but now i have a car that supports DVD Audio and not MP3. Any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 740 • Replies: 1
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 07:33 pm
You're in for some disappointment, I'm afraid; you have a bit of a conceptual problem here. DVD Audio, or DVD-A, is a high-compliance/ultra-high-fidelity, high-bandwidth recording format, using 96,000 24-bit samples per second, as opposed to CD-Audio's 44,100 16-bit samples per second. The purpose of compression algorithms, such as MP3, is to render the data-dense CD-A file as a much smaller file, sacrificing audio quality for ease of file storage and manipulation.

A standard pre-recorded audio CD disc will have up to 74 minutes of 2 channel sound. A DVD Audio disc contains many times the information it is possible to store on a standard CD. A standard DVD-Audio disc will have the same length (or more) of multi-channel sound, recorded at a much higher data density, and therefore much greater quality or "fidelity" than CD Audio, sometimes in both Dolby Digital 5.1/6.1 and DTS 5.1/6.1 surround sound formats, and often will incorporate advanced features, such as video clips, alternate song versions, scrolling-text lyrics, or slide shows, and the like.

A similarly high-compliance, high bandwidth, high fidelity format is Sony's proprietary SA-CD, or Super Audio CD. Both DVD-A and SA-CAd blow standard CD audio away, even on a modest system. With a reasonably mid-to-high-end system, the difference not only is obvious, it is nothing shoert of breathtaking. A well recorded DVD-A or SA-CD played over a really good system in a well designed listening room very nearly approximates live music - in the venue in which the piece being played was recorded. Its truly awesome.

There is software that will facillitate the copying of DVD Audio, and there is software for ripping DVD Audio to formats such as MP3, but I don't know of, nor do I see any point in, any software that wold convert MP3 or similar audio formats to DVD Audio. It may be out there, but to my mind that would simply make no sense.

MP3 compares to DVD Audio about as imitation bacon bits compare to prime rib with all the fixings and desert.
0 Replies