• Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,617 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Francis

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 10:21 am
It must be "impromptu".

Arriving when not expected, unprepared.

In some countries, when you have not a lawyer, justice can designate you one to make an impromptu defense.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 10:28 am
Hi Francis, if the answer was impromptu the question would be unneccessary wouldn't it?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 10:44 am
When I said it must be impromptu I was just correcting the spelling.

I understood you were looking for a definition of "impromptu defense", which I gave, in my words.

But maybe I didn't get the real meaning of your question...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 10:47 am
What do you mean by "impromptu defense"?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 10:51 am
Not expected, unprepared.

(made on the go?)
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 10:57 am
Ticomaya wrote:
What do you mean by "impromptu defense"?

I don't know Ticomaya thats all I have Confused

Francis, if my comment to you sounded rude please accept my apology. it certainly wasn't meant that way. Very Happy
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:00 am
Are you describing a situation where a criminal defendant is about to stand trial, and moments beforehand the judge appoints an attorney sitting in the courtroom to defend him?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:00 am
But, in the UK, Don1, solicitors prepare the case; barristers present it, no? Seems like any imprompu defense would be precluded.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:01 am
Well, you said that's all you have. I can't say I know the answer.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:07 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Are you describing a situation where a criminal defendant is about to stand trial, and moments beforehand the judge appoints an attorney sitting in the courtroom to defend him?

Yes, Tico.

It's called "impromptu defense" in some countries I know.

(This can vary a bit from days to hours)
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 11:11 am
I don't think we do that in the US. At least not where I practice.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 06:48 pm
Could be a reference to the historical practice in English courts of barristers hanging around the courts for a brief from an unrepresented defendant. There is a rule in English law that a barrister must accept the next brief and not pick and choose, colloquially called the "taxicab rule". The allusion is to the taxicab that must pick up the next fare regardless of destination and not pick and choose.

Nowadays of course solictors take instructions from the defendant and brief barristers and it's a lot more civilised but remnants of the old ways still exist. I don't know if it's still the case but a barrister's gown used to have a pocket in the back where the defendant would drop the money, couldn't have money being exchanged in the precincts of the court, wouldn't look nice.

Don if you have any more info we might be able to sort this one.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 01:36 am
Thanks for your replies people, I thought this was going to be an easy to answer question but obviously not. If I find anymore info I'll get back.

Thanks all.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 12:11 am
Re: What does this legal term mean?
Don1 wrote:
legal term for a lawyers impromtu defence of someone in court

thank you in anticipation.

Legal Term: MALPRACTICE

LOL

Without knowing the context for which you are searching for the legal term, it's difficult to help you. Maybe you're thinking about this term:

Quote:
Sua sponte: Latin for "of one's own accord," is a legal term that means to act spontaneously without prompting from another party. The term is usually applied to actions by a judge, taken without a prior motion or request from the parties.
0 Replies