What are your thoughts and opinions of the (various) Star Trek tv series?

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2024 04:57 am
So far there have been a combined total of nine Star Trek tv series and streaming tv series.

Television series:
Star Trek (TV Series 1966–1969)
Star Trek: The Next Generation (TV Series 1987–1994)
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (TV Series 1993–1999)
Star Trek: Voyager (TV Series 1995–2001)
Star Trek: Enterprise (TV Series 2001–2005)

Streaming television series:
Star Trek: Discovery (TV Series 2017–2024) *Final season starts April 2024
Star Trek: Picard (TV Series 2020–2023)
Star Trek: Lower Decks (TV Series 2020– ) *The only series that is animation.
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (TV Series 2022– )

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 243 • Replies: 13
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2024 09:47 am
@Real Music,
There was an animated version of the original Star Trek.

I believe it was voiced by the same actors, but don't quote me on that.

I remember there was a really weird looking alien on the bridge, something too expensive/unrealistic for contemporary animatronics / sfx.
Mame

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2024 10:05 am
@Real Music,
I thought they were all good, but never really got into Deep Space Nine.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2024 10:57 am
@Real Music,

i grew up watching TOS, and have watched some TNG...

Enterprise is my all-time favorite, followed closely by Disco...

i enjoyed Picard... excellent cast...

Strange is an OK Disco spin-off...

haven't watched a single episode of DS9, Voyager or Lower Decks (yet)...

R(live long and prosper)P

coluber2001

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2024 12:55 pm
The Next Generation and Voyager and parts of the Deep Space Nine. The original Star Trek had some really cheesy effects, such as Spock being attacked by plastic vomit.

https://www.theviewscreen.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/operationannihilate1.jpg
jespah

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2024 02:14 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

So far there have been a combined total of nine Star Trek tv series and streaming tv series.

Television series:
Star Trek (TV Series 1966–1969)
Star Trek: The Next Generation (TV Series 1987–1994)
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (TV Series 1993–1999)
Star Trek: Voyager (TV Series 1995–2001)
Star Trek: Enterprise (TV Series 2001–2005)

Streaming television series:
Star Trek: Discovery (TV Series 2017–2024) *Final season starts April 2024
Star Trek: Picard (TV Series 2020–2023)
Star Trek: Lower Decks (TV Series 2020– ) *The only series that is animation.
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (TV Series 2022– )

Oooh I don't see TAS or PRO on the list. Very Happy

I have to say I love them in different ways.

In more or less my order of preference (some of these are close and could go either way, others are ... not).

* Discovery - a bit uneven and not what the fanboys expected or wanted, but its flawed heroine makes her way on her own merits. Love the deep future.

Don't love the attachment to the TOS era although the idea of giving Spock's family a life that didn't revolve around him was great. I think it's shied away from a lot of the bigger questions (e.g. male soldier rape) and the wrap up of the tardigrade storyline was odd.

* Prodigy - the only reason it's not #1 is because there's just one season and it's not looking like I'll be seeing the second without some fancy footwork. Be that as it may, Dal starts off annoying and immature because, surprise, surprise, he's a kid! Gwyn grows from a nasty brat to a caring crew member.

Roktaki gets a chance to use her brain rather than her brawn and eat something other than nutrigoop. Jankom gets work which he's not really qualified for, and kicks it up several notches. And Zero feels the weight and the guilt of any Medusan who's ever caused anyone to go mad. A fabulous show and, while animated, definitely not one for the kiddies.

* Strange New Worlds - Pike is the modern Kirk we need, and I think Anson Mount is perfectly cast. Paul Wesley brings a good cross of looks and brains to the actual Kirk role. Ethan Peck is a glorious Spock (just as awesome as when the character was on Disco) with more emotions and a reason why, in later years, he clams up. Jess Bush as Nurse Chapel is a revelation; she stops being the lovestruck fool and instead is a more than competent professional who realizes she has to give up the man she loves for there to be peace in the quadrant.

Only reason it's not higher is because some of it's telegraphed. Saw Batel's demise coming a mile away (shouldn't be a spoiler alert, but I predict they will not save her and there's someone else who's not going to make it to the middle of the coming season....).

* Enterprise - probably the most realistic of the bunch. Scott Bakula as Jonathan Archer is uncomfortable in the role, allowing Jolene Blalock as T'Pol and Connor Trinneer as Trip Tucker to steal the show out from under him.

Underused characters Reed, Hoshi, and Mayweather are just kinda upsetting the further we get in time from the premiere, which had so much promise. And don't get me started on that awful final episode.

* TOS - the one that started it all has a lot of cheesy and cringeworthy moments these days. Don't watch Turnabout Intruder if you can help it. Spock's Brain is dopey fun, but TI is a chauvinistic mess.

A lot of TOS can best be understood by the show bible, which essentially says that everything is from Kirk's POV. Once you understand this, you get why the powers that be took certain risks and avoided others, and also of course understand the times. Plato's Stepchildren has the first interracial kiss, but the heartbreaking line in that one comes from Chapel.

* Picard - Sir Patrick Stewart didn't want it to be one last victory lap, yet that's exactly what it turned into in the end. The show also suffers from being interrupted by Covid lockdowns and restrictions. I like Ed Speleers as the character who is essentially Picard, Jr., and will someone please give Jeri Ryan her own show already????

* Lower Decks - this one started off weak and annoying for me, but it's grown on me, probably as Mariner has matured and stopped just trying to be the resident Mary Sue asshole. The crossover with SNW was handled particularly well, and this last season showed Boimler to be a real leader and not just a wannabe.

* Voyager - until Disco, this was the only iteration which fairly routinely passed the Bechdel Test (two named women on screen, talking about something other than a man). The show doesn't really get cooking until Kes leaves and is replaced by Seven, a far better character.

There are definitely clunker episodes, the last episode is a mess (although not as bad as Enterprise's These Are the Voyages, thank God), and Chakotay has mainly become a cringeworthy character. I loved that Janeway was reprised in Prodigy, giving the character some more love and screen time.

* DS9 - a lot of people love this one and think the writing is topnotch. I find the writing to be decent although the execution isn't always the best. Nog's injury storyline is a good idea in theory, but I thought (this is sacrilege in Trekkie Land) that Aron Eisenberg's performance could have been better.

The religions with proven gods concept was interesting, and Kai Winn is a terrific villain. The Bell Riots and all are a good idea (and they're supposed to take place this year, eek). But it's always felt like, to me, that there was something missing. A reboot with a larger budget would probably persuade me.

* Next Generation - the first couple of years are mainly awful and best not mentioned. The show improves a lot once Roddenberry stopped having creative control and other ideas could be heard and acted upon.

I truly dislike the Riker character (and his appearance in TATV really did it for me in a way that Troi's appearance did not). Unlike probably a good 99% of the fandom, I really despise Measure of a Man, as it's a courtroom drama where the only lawyer in the room is an ex of Riker's and Riker serves as Data's lawyer. FFS, people, TOS established that there were still lawyers! Instead of Data getting an experienced professional, he gets Riker. It feels like a hard slap in the face to the profession.

For all the good stuff (like the species which essentially condemned one of its own for declaring she had a gender), there's cringeworthy garbage like Sub Rosa.

* The Animated Series - made on the cheap, and it shows. The only really good episode is Yesteryear, which gets a good follow-up/backfill in Disco.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2024 06:11 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
There was an animated version of the original Star Trek.

I believe it was voiced by the same actors, but don't quote me on that.

I remember there was a really weird looking alien on the bridge, something too expensive/unrealistic for contemporary animatronics / sfx.

1. I forgot about that series.
2. I vaguely remember the series.
3. I vaguely remember seeing a few episodes.
4. My memory of that series is virtually non existent.
5. But, that was an oversight on my part of forgetting to include it on the list.
6. Thank you for the correction.

Star Trek: The Animated Series (TV Series 1973–1975)
Real Music

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2024 06:22 pm
@Mame,
1. My favorite parts of Deep Space Nine is when the stories started evolving around Odo's people, the Founders/Changelings, the Dominion, the Vortas, and the Jem'Hadar.

2. I also like how they started the series off with the Bajorans believing that Sisko was the Emissary of the Prophets. And Sisko originally wasn't comfortable with people believing that he was the Emissary. And over time he grew more comfortable of Bajorans seeing him as the Emissary. And ultimately, in the end, Sisko and the rest us discovered that he truly was the Emissary of the Prophets.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2024 06:51 pm
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
i grew up watching TOS, and have watched some TNG...

Enterprise is my all-time favorite, followed closely by Disco...

i enjoyed Picard... excellent cast...

Strange is an OK Disco spin-off...

haven't watched a single episode of DS9, Voyager or Lower Decks (yet)...

1. I didn't see TOS as a first run show, because I was only a toddler when it first aired in the 1960s.

2. I did see all of the TOS in reruns during the middle or later part of the 1970s. I'm sure I've also seen each of the episodes multiple times over the years since.

3. Star Trek Enterprise was just okay to me.

4. Star Trek Discovery is probably my all-time favorite Star Trek series.

5. Star Trek Picard is probably my second favorite.

6. I enjoyed watching Deep Space Nine, especially in the later episodes.

7. I also enjoyed watching Voyager.

8. I have vague memories of seeing a few episodes Star Trek Original animated series.

9. I have never seen Prodigy.

10. I have never seen Upper Deck, but I did enjoy how they infused Upper deck into an episode of Strange New World.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2024 07:02 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
The Next Generation and Voyager and parts of the Deep Space Nine. The original Star Trek had some really cheesy effects, such as Spock being attacked by plastic vomit.
https://www.theviewscreen.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/operationannihilate1.jpg

1. I definitely remember that episode.
2. I don't know the actual title of that episode.
3. But, maybe that episode should have titled "Attack of the Plastic Vomit" Very Happy
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2024 02:20 am
@Real Music,
Actually when I went to look on youtube I found that there was an animated series of The Next Generation too.

That was news to me.
Real Music

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2024 02:25 am
@izzythepush,
I never knew that. That's news to me.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2024 04:47 pm
@Real Music,
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2024 05:26 am
As far as Star Trek goes. I grew up with the original series.

I really liked The Next Generation and Voyager.

Couldn't get into Deep Space Nine.

I hadcontinuity problems with Scot Blakula, saw first season then missed the beginning of the next, so kind of stuck.

I am enjoying Picard.

As for the restI'm reserving judgement. Not seen them but overheard bits of them when my dil was watching them.

From what I overheard, the one withCaptain Pike seems to be all about Spock's sex life.
0 Replies