doctype, transparency, and validation problems

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 08:02 pm
I tried to validate my webpage at the W3C Markup Validation Service, and I got 2 errors. One says I did not declare a doctype, and the other says there's no such attribute as allowtransparency.

This is where the transparency code was used:

<iframe name="iframe" src="home.html" frameBorder=0 width=520 height=1500 allowtransparency="true" style="position:absolute; left:350; top:280" scrolling="auto">If you see this text, iframes are not enabled on your browser, please update to the newest version of Internet Explorer</iframe>

I searched on google, but all the tutorials on transparent iframes I looked at involves using the allowtransparency tag Shocked. Does anyone know of a way to have a transparent iframe that validates?

My other problem is that when I add the doctype (HTML 4.01 Transitional) to the page, my div layer and iframe end up on the top of the page, and overlaps eachother.

Here is the the page before I added the doctype: before
and here is the page after I added the doctype: after

Please help me with these 2 problems. Thanks in advance Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,019 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:55 pm
allowtransparency is a nice tag MS made. I don't think there is a standard for it available.

People whine about "proprietary MS tags" a lot, but this is one of the many cases in which MS created something useful that did not exist and is thusly proprietary (no duh).

Anywho, the layout issues you describe are a common vexation for webmasters.

I don't have time to pore over code for you, but the issues is likely that you designed your code for one type of engine and the other is what is being rendered.

You can try using a "strict" doctype instead of "transitional" and it might work, but if not then be prepared to learn the different box models.

See here: http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/about-boxmodel.htm
0 Replies

lil cat luver

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 12:02 am
I changed the doctype to strict, and it still looks the same, then I tried both strict and transitional without the url, and the transitional tag worked, well it works on my computer, but I'm not sure if it works for everyone else. Could you maybe take a look? http://etcetera.pixelfx.org/after.shtml is the page.

In the article, HTML 4.01 Transitional without a URL, for IE 5/Windows is displayed in quirks mode. Does that mean my layout would only work under quirks mode?

HTML 4.01 with full doctype (the one I had before) displays in standard mode, so shouldn't the page display correctly with a white background for the iframe? Last time I checked, absolute positioning is standard HTML.

Sorry for so many questions...I'm just very curious =P
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 08:47 pm
Like I said, I didn't pore over the code (and don't have time to) but standard code doesn't mean layout would look nice.

You can have a perfect mess of layout that validates.
0 Replies

lil cat luver

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 09:14 pm
Ooh, I didn't mean to look over the code, I meant to look at the page. Just to see if the iframe and div line up in the right places or all on the top like before. Although, that's not necessary anymore. I just updated my internet explorer to I.E.6 SP1 and it still works Very Happy

I think I'll just keep the page like that and try not to use transparent iframes the next time

Thanks for the all information Very Happy
0 Replies