Relatively good news from a multipolar perspective

Fri 22 Dec, 2023 07:35 am
https://www.lemonde.fr/en/le-monde-africa/article/2023/12/22/france-completes-troop-withdrawal-from-niger-closes-embassy_6367061_124.html#

France completes troop withdrawal from Niger, closes embassy
The withdrawal of troops was completed on Friday, in compliance with the orders from Niger's military junta. In a rare move, France also decided to close its embassy in Niamey.

(Balance of the article at the link.)

Bits of colonialism being dismantled.
It was exciting to see Africa’s lions raise their heads in a pretty impressive roar a few months ago.

Out goes France.

PoshSpice

Fri 22 Dec, 2023 07:50 am
https://chinaglobalsouth.com/2023/12/21/australia-refuses-to-send-ships-to-red-sea/

Australia Refuses to Send Ships to Red Sea

(Article at the link)

I suppose the big story here is that edicts from the US no longer hold the strength they did previously, and it is a glory to behold.
hightor

Fri 22 Dec, 2023 01:37 pm
@PoshSpice,
It was a request, not an "edict".

Quote:
"That said, we will be almost tripling our contribution to the combined maritime force.

"We need to be really clear around our strategic focus, and our strategic focus is our region — the north-east Indian Ocean, the South China Sea, the East China Sea, the Pacific."

Bahrain, Canada, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Seychelles and Spain are participating. I don't know why endangering the lives of civilian merchant mariners is such a wonderful thing to see. The Red Sea handles 10% of world shipping and the disruption may further shake the world economy. And it will be the poorest people who end up getting hurt the most.
PoshSpice

Fri 22 Dec, 2023 08:16 pm
Quote:
Bahrain, Canada, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Seychelles and Spain are participating.

Are you sure they’re all participating?
0 Replies

cherrie

Sat 23 Dec, 2023 12:49 am
@PoshSpice,
You do realise, don't you, that the US is not the boss of Australia and is therefore in no position to be issuing edicts to our government on any matters.
They asked and we said no to sending ships, but will be deploying personnel.
PoshSpice

Sat 23 Dec, 2023 03:07 am
@cherrie,
You do realize, don’t you, that it wasn’t long ago that Australia (& several other countries) was very reliably dancing to the US tune & tempo.

Therefore, it IS notable (& laudable, imo) that several countries are finally saying no.

The hegemony is cracking.
0 Replies

PoshSpice

Sat 23 Dec, 2023 03:24 am
@hightor,
Quote:
I don't know why endangering the lives of civilian merchant mariners is such a wonderful thing to see.

As if you don’t know and for those in the cheap seats— Yemen is the only country with the balls to use what little leverage they have against the Goliath of the world and their proxy to stop a brutal genocide.

The poorest most beleaguered country in the world is standing up against the most powerful nation in the world for Gaza.

The tepid response to this coalition announced by the US (but not really agreed to) is a sign of the fracturing of US hegemonic power—and I believe it is a good thing for the world.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 23 Dec, 2023 04:05 am
@PoshSpice,
PoshSpice wrote:
As if you don’t know and for those in the cheap seats— Yemen is the only country with the balls to use what little leverage they have against the Goliath of the world and their proxy to stop a brutal genocide.

The poorest most beleaguered country in the world is standing up against the most powerful nation in the world for Gaza.
The government is more or less ousted from power by the Houthi rebels.

Their militias are firing on civilian merchant ships in the Red Sea - allegedly in solidarity with the Palestinians.

Spiegel interviewed Nasruddin Amer, editor-in-chief of the Houthi-controlled Yemeni agency Saba and deputy director of the media supervisory authority Ansar. (Interview [in German]).
He considers, for example, the Hamas attack on Israel on 7 October, in which 1,200 people were killed, women raped, children and babies murdered and over 240 people kidnapped, to be "false propaganda spread by the Western media. ... Western journalists support Israel's lies and their fictitious accusations".

Quote:
SPIEGEL: Why did the Houthis attack a German Hapag-Lloyd ship? A fire broke out on board and some of the cargo was lost.

Amer: We attack ships that violate the embargo we have announced. Before we attack a ship, we warn it twice that passage is forbidden, that it must turn back, and only then do we attack. The responsibility for this escalation lies solely with the USA and Israel.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 23 Dec, 2023 04:09 am
@PoshSpice,
PoshSpice wrote:
I believe it is a good thing for the world.
That Tehran's protégés will carry out attacks on civilian ships and turn the world's most dangerous shipping passage into an even bigger crisis zone?
PoshSpice

Sat 23 Dec, 2023 04:13 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter,

Have you seen any evidence of October 7 rapes, beheaded babies, microwaved babies by Hamas? Do you realize many of those fantastical accusations have been debunked?

Have you seen Israel admit that many deaths of Israelis on 10/7 were actually Israeli forces firing on large groups of Israelis, thinking members of Hamas were among them?
PoshSpice

Sat 23 Dec, 2023 04:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
PoshSpice wrote:
I believe it is a good thing for the world.
Quote:
That Tehran's protégés will carry out attacks on civilian ships and turn the world's most dangerous shipping passage into an even bigger crisis zone?

No. That ships en route to do business with Israel are turned away as long as Israel is murdering 1000 children a week.

[Since Walter tried valiantly to misrepresent my statement, here it is:

The tepid response to this coalition announced by the US (but not really agreed to) is a sign of the fracturing of US hegemonic power—and I believe it is a good thing for the world.]
Walter Hinteler

Sat 23 Dec, 2023 04:37 am
@PoshSpice,
PoshSpice wrote:
No. That ships en route to do business with Israel are turned away as long as Israel is murdering 1000 children a week.
Hapac-Llloyd's ship "Al Jasrah" is flagged Marshall Islands and owned by United Arab Shipping (Kuwait, sister operator of Hapac-Lloyd), had travelled from Piraeus through the Suez Canal to the Red Sea, heading for Singapore.
PoshSpice

Sat 23 Dec, 2023 05:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
https://apnews.com/article/yemen-houthi-ship-attack-israel-hamas-69289146266b9042b5896aa4679605ef

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — A ballistic missile fired by Yemen’s Houthi rebels slammed into a cargo ship Friday in the Red Sea near the strategic Bab el-Mandeb Strait, following another attack only hours earlier that struck a separate vessel, authorities said.

The missile attack on the MSC Palatium III and the earlier assault on the Al Jasrah escalate a maritime campaign by the Iranian-backed Houthis. The attacks also endanger ships traveling through a vital corridor for cargo and energy shipments for both Europe and Asia from the Suez Canal out to the Indian Ocean.

The Houthis say their attacks aim to end the pounding Israeli air-and-ground offensive targeting the Gaza Strip amid that country’s war on Hamas. However, the links to the ships targeted in the rebel assaults have grown more tenuous as the attacks continue.

The Houthis may make a connection between the genocide in Gaza to those two
ships that we don’t yet recognize—or they may just be wrong.

Time will tell.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 23 Dec, 2023 06:01 am
@PoshSpice,
PoshSpice wrote:
The Houthis may make a connection between the genocide in Gaza to those two
ships that we don’t yet recognize—or they may just be wrong.

Time will tell.
Any of the various open AIS-websites tells you at least the basics of those ships and routes - the paid versions even give details about the loaded containers.
PoshSpice

Sat 23 Dec, 2023 01:37 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
If I rush to a judgment now and full information is disclosed later, what did I gain?

I’m not paying for anything—& I’m content to wait.
0 Replies

PoshSpice

Sat 23 Dec, 2023 06:40 pm
Rhetoric ratcheting from US & Iran.

https://www.criticalthreats.org/analysis/iran-update-december-23-2023#:~:text=Raisi%20called%20for%20an%20immediate,attacks%20into%20the%20Gaza%20Strip.

This, from the US POV.
0 Replies

PoshSpice

Sat 23 Dec, 2023 06:50 pm
From Iran.

https://nypost.com/2023/12/23/news/iran-threatens-to-close-mediterranean-sea-over-gaza-war/amp/

(Article at link)

Interesting quote from land locked Iran:

Naqdi, however, referred to “the birth of new powers of resistance and the closure of other waterways.”

“Yesterday, the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz became a nightmare for [Israel and its allies], and today they are trapped … in the Red Sea,” he insisted.
0 Replies

PoshSpice

Sat 23 Dec, 2023 07:11 pm
This statement is all over Twitter, being attributed to the president of Iran. I haven’t independently verified it.

🚨🇮🇷BREAKING OFFICIAL STATEMENT: IRAN'S PRESIDENT CALLS FOR NEW WORLD ORDER

"We must think of another and new world order and this requires great efforts.

What happened on October 7th is because of the massacres committed against the Palestinian people before this date.

The most important message we carry is to liberate the land of Palestine, and this is what the late Imam Khomeini announced.

The Zionist entity and the United States must be punished for genocide in international courts.

It has been proven to the whole world that the United States is committing massacres and genocide despite its lip service to human rights.

The so-called UN Security Council is unable to stop the war on Gaza.

One of the important issues is lifting the siege on Gaza, opening the crossings to deliver aid, and preventing the deportation of the Palestinian people.

Defeat will be the fate of the Zionist entity.

Gaza must be led by people from Gaza, and the time has passed when the United States decides the destinies of."

bobsal u1553115

Sat 23 Dec, 2023 09:42 pm
Maybe he should start with Iran, or do you prefer his program regarding the treatment of women?
glitterbag

Sat 23 Dec, 2023 11:52 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I think her multipolar perspective stems from wearing her modesty cloth too tightly around her temples.
0 Replies