Navy base's "Ask the Commander" - looking for an old classic response

gunny2

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2023 11:12 am
Years ago, a Navy base (I think Oceana but not sure) had this "Ask the Commander" as part of their base paper (or site?). There was a classic response to a self-entitled officer's civilian wife who sent a snippy letter in asking why she wasn't saluted in her husband's staff car as she entered the gate...the Commander put her in her place so eloquently. I know it's a long shot, but anyone remember this and maybe know of a copy online? I tried searching, but didn't find anything. I think he started out by saying something like "Wow, that's quite a sense of entitlement you have there."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 967 • Replies: 8
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2023 11:56 am
@gunny2,
Have you tried to see if Naval Air Station Oceana Station Library has hard copies or microfiche of said base newspapers? Or maybe they can tell you if those newspapers have been digitized and where to access them.
gunny2

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2023 12:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
Hey that's a great idea, thanks!
engineer

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2023 03:58 pm
@gunny2,
That is an interesting question though. I always rated a salute when driving in, even in civilian clothes. Not sure how the gate guards would know the wife wasn't the officer.
roger

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2023 05:09 pm
@engineer,
In my time in the army, you saluted every vehicle with a blue permit.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2023 08:39 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

In my time in the army, you saluted every vehicle with a blue permit.

I was never aware of that or seen that in practice. That could just be my anecdotal experience.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2023 09:45 am
@tsarstepan,
I remember this but I googled the description: "Beginning in 1925, enlistees in the peacetime army were permitted to marry, but only with the written permission of their superior officer. Until World War II, one adage prevailed above all else: “If the Army wanted you to have a wife, they would have issued you one.”
glitterbag

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2023 10:00 am
@glitterbag,
Years ago while I was first working for DoD we would get copies of "The Stars and Stripes", we loved the letters to the editor. In one issue an officers wife complained that officers children were being treated like all the other children in the school. She thought it would be a good idea for the children to display 'ranks' so that the officers children would be given the respect of their Dad's rank. This was back in the 70's when you hardly ever saw women in the military, so this was a disgruntled wife. (Yes there were women in the military but in the intelligence field they were usually special aides to flag officers, secretaries or nurses in the medical center. Women were not trained in language or operations because they were women) (I'm not making a 'feminist complaint' here, but the introduction and training of women was a slow painful process that took years to develop) (Hey, it was the 60's and 70's)
0 Replies

gunny2

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2023 11:53 am
@engineer,
I don't know how it works now anywhere, but when I was in, people in civilian clothes weren't generally saluted. In fact I recall some idiot Captain (supposedly) in civvies getting in my face once (why isn't worth getting into) going "I'm a Captain!" I said "Really? Can I see some ID?" She declined so I ignored her...

In fact I'll go one better: I was once walking into the BX and a full bird was coming out. I was about to salute, but he purposely looked the other direction, so I didn't. His son was with him and you should have his mouth drop open, lol. Hey I'm not going to salute the air. Needless to say the Colonel just kept walking.

Thanks for the replies!
0 Replies