Race for the Rain Forest - #63

danon5

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 12:16 pm
I'm back - had no phone for the past day and a half. All clicked in for today.

Stradee, Yep, there are lots of guns in Texas. I have about a dozen - albeit, half are muzzle loaders. I like to build them but get no enjoyment in shooting them. Altho I am an extremely good shot.
((Back during the mid 80's while in Gig Harbor, WA - I shot at the very top most tip of a Douglas Pine in my back yard on a dare - the tree was about three hundred feet away - a football field length - from my standing position. My firearm was a .22 rifle I have had since my youth and was/is very well sighted - by me of course. I fired once and saw the tip of the tree wince - but, not fall.
Two years later, I cut the tree (it was about a hundred plus feet tall) and saw the tip top of the tree - 18 inches below the very top - had a .22 calibre hole in the center of it. The tree at that point was too wide for the small calibre bullet to cut.

True story........

Now here is another short story for you.... Being a Texan, one would imagine me in Levi's - Caboy shirt - fancy boots and slinging a sixshooter in a belted holster................ Standin next to my hoss.

Well, yer not far from the truth - however, the hoss belongs to one of my life long friends - my six shooter is a Smith and Wesson 357 Magnum Model 27-2 - which I ordered from the factory in 1970 - and have fired only half the first and only box of ammo I've ever bought for it. I do have several pair of Caboy boots, some really nice ones I bought in Mexico - and a bunch of Levi pants. But, I don't have a nice Caboy shirt. Crying or Very sad

Ohyeah, and I don't have a ten gallon Hoot Gipson hat - re my avatar. Shocked Very Happy

ps note=
See the ears on the Quarter Horse? They are both pointed at me (meaning it's a very well trained animal) - that is one great cutting horse - can spin on a dime and give you five cents change.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 06:02 pm
aktbird57 - You and your 284 friends have supported 2,035,373.1 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 68,170.3 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 284 friends have supported: (68,170.3)

American Prairie habitat supported: 39,932.8 square feet.
You have supported: (10,581.2)
Your 284 friends have supported: (29,351.6)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,927,270.1 square feet.
You have supported: (164,352.3)
Your 284 friends have supported: (1,762,917.7)

~~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1233 46.721 acres
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 06:39 pm
Yes, Dan, I noticed that about the hoss afore I took a gander at who-all is a-settin' on it. BTW, remind me from time to time never to get in a gunfight with you. I thought I was purty good, but you're good.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 01:20 am
Dan, I thought the horse you were sitting on was "Scorpio"! Recall during one of the rainforest threads, we were chatting about ranches, cowboys, inuits, etc. you mentioning your horses name. <I have a memory like an elephant> Very Happy however, the quater horse is quite a nice animal, and yep - he appears alert and if he can change leads on a dime, he's one heck of a cutting horse.

OMG - you have an arsenal!

Learned at a very young age to never shoot trees <or birds or animals or anything that breaths> but i do enjoy tarket shooting <skeet shooting was kinda interesting and also bow shooting> now though i have a 22 ruger, and two rifles <the 270 my fav - light and doesn't dislocate my shoulder like the 30.0D (sp)...

Hated the bow range <although I wasn't bad hitting targets> each target was either a deer, bear, elk, moose, statue or cardboard thingy...with a bulls eye drawn on the poor animals picture. A few trips through the range and i said nada. Killed a few bales of oat hay though and not a few skeet targets.

anyhooo, i'm glad your safe at the ranch and not having to deal with angry texans <i'd be upset too> and glad alls well. Somehow though I can't picture you sittin on a porch wearing a ten gallon hat, and toatin' a Zapata ammo holster with levis tucked in cowboy boots....wait - yep, iffin your wearing a flight jacket. <grin>

Glad you and Pattie got through the storm, and ya all safe. Have you heard word of Edgarblyth? Still no word from one poster at another forum, he and his family have a home in N.O. We can only hope they are safe and well also.

pwayfarer, drove home from work accompanied by an awsome thunder and lightening storm! Autumn right around the corner.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 09:35 am
Hi MA,
That is a nice pony. I'm glad my friend keeps horses. He and I have ridden many, many trails together.

Stradee,
So you like bows? I made my own when young. Arrows too. Then my first really nice bow was a Bear Polar - straight tips and 45 lb pull. My best shot was during a tournament in Longview, TX. I placed three out of four arrows in a 9 inch circle at 80 yards. Haven't done that well since. One day I was practicing with the bow when my horse riding friend came riding up. He threw his cap high into the air and yelled, "Hit this!" I did. It came down with a neat arrow sized hole in it. Then I had to go find the arrow.

As a kid, I also made other things like slings, spears and atlatls.

Oh, I still have my flight jacket and helmet.
Shocked Very Happy
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 11:05 am
Dan, when i was a youngin' did bow shoot <our highschool gym class also taught a semester of the sport> and was pretty good at the sport. Mentioned though, most people hunted with bows and arrows, so i didn't much keep up with the sport but did target shoot. I sold a beautiful bow and arrow rig that belonged to my parents after they passed - but kept the rifles and ruger. My dad was the sportsman - bow hunted, etc.

and just recalled a neat poem <from years past>

I shot an arrow into the air
It fell to earth I know not where
But who has sight so keen and strong
That it can follow the flight of a song
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 02:08 pm
Hi, y'all. Hope ya don't mind a gerl gittin' in on th' conversation. I've luved hoss-ridin' since I wuz a kid. My favorites b'longed to my brother-in-law's brother-in-law (really). He has a pair of Tennessee Walkers. & the last 'un I rode was a big ol' wide werk horse, the breed escapes me, but I ain't had ma ca-girl hat & boots on fer a spell, but I sher loved it.
Shootin' didn't come 'til later, in the Army. Only ever shot an M16A1 & a 45, but as I recall, I was an okay shot. Made 10 outta 10 at 350 meters. Ah, them wuz th' days. EVen did some Army trainin' down thatta way in San Anton-.
Oh, BTW, I'm clicked.
danon, I'm real sorry ya don't have a ca-boy shirt. We'll havta see if'n we kin rustle ya up one!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 03:14 pm
By a totally strange coincidence, I am sitting here at my 'puter on the East Coast of the USofA, wearing a western-cut shirt with pearlized snaps instead of buttons, a pair of slacks that are acually polyester but are cut like jeans with the slash pockets in front instead of on the side, and a pair of riding boots with an ostrich-print toe. (It's only ostrich-print; couldn't afford gen-you-wine ostrich.)
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 05:12 pm
You guys are something - I'm sitting here LMAO.

grin

Oh, Stradee,
What a great memory you have. The pony I had named Scorpion after a Will James story. It was a boy horse and a beautiful buckskin color.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 07:27 pm
anyone on for taking this boy and pony and Caboy shirt show on the road?
nearly 250 posts ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

aktbird57 - You and your 284 friends have supported 2,036,871.6 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 68,427.9 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 284 friends have supported: (68,427.9)

American Prairie habitat supported: 40,049.8 square feet.
You have supported: (10,604.6)
Your 284 friends have supported: (29,445.3)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,928,393.9 square feet.
You have supported: (164,399.1)
Your 284 friends have supported: (1,763,994.8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

devriesj - I hope your clicking finger has recovered Very Happy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1234 46.755 acres
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 02:05 am
heeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwww Very Happy

sasperilla r' wiskey?

http://www.cowboypoetry.com/C7Framed.GIF

i newd i put thet horse taway...

http://www.cowboypoetry.com/CowgirlFrame0209.GIF

i said 'shirt! boy..."

http://www.cowboypoetry.com/TexRG_Framed_0904.gif

mule skinner/buggy driver

http://www.cowboypoetry.com/C4Framed.GIF
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 11:33 am
Hello all. I think I did it. Try:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1592508#1592508

Let's see if my maiden voyage into new threads works!
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 11:42 am
See you on Rainforest 64!
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 11:19 am
I'm there! BTW, Beth, clickin' finger's recovered & back to clickin'!
0 Replies