Unpardonable Sin

ebrown p

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 07:43 pm
sunlover wrote:
When an "enlightened" human being decides to sin, now, that sin will be at an incredibly high level and could damage unbelievable numbers of people. This "enlightened" person could poison our minds against each other, even our own selves. I wonder if this particular sin has ever happened ?

I think Adam and Eve were not "ready" for the knowledge they discovered after "eating" from the Tree of Knowledge. So, it was back to the beginning for them, get out of The Garaden, do not pass GO, do not collect $200.

Perhaps I'm saying this very badly but I do get so tired of quoted scripture.

I am very thankful that Adam and Eve ate from the Tree of Knowledge.

Can you imagine a world without sin? I think it would be a horrible place to live. There would no passion, no heroism, no forbidden love. There would be no sacrafice, no toiling to achieve and no poetry. Sure there would be no Hitler, but there would be also be no Martin Luther King, no Ghandi, no Mother Teresa and no Jesus.

I doubt very much that Adam and Eve were human before they ate of the fruit. They had the shell of being human, but they lacked the very things that truly make us human. Without temptation, yearning, striving against all odds and impossible dreams what are we?

From this story, I don't think it was God who created human beings. Well, it was God who created the body.

But it was the serpent who gave man his soul.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 08:34 pm
Christ came and forgave our sins in the New Testament and set new criteria for sinning and forgiveness.

Raised as a Methodist, I always heard the only unpardonable sin was suicide. How would one repent or ask forgiveness for that? That's why it is unpardonable. Also, the temple of God is within. Kill yourself and you have killed God / Holy Spirit.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 08:15 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
sunlover wrote:
When an "enlightened" human being decides to sin, now, that sin will be at an incredibly high level and could damage unbelievable numbers of people. This "enlightened" person could poison our minds against each other, even our own selves. I wonder if this particular sin has ever happened ?

I think Adam and Eve were not "ready" for the knowledge they discovered after "eating" from the Tree of Knowledge. So, it was back to the beginning for them, get out of The Garaden, do not pass GO, do not collect $200.

Perhaps I'm saying this very badly but I do get so tired of quoted scripture.

I am very thankful that Adam and Eve ate from the Tree of Knowledge.

Can you imagine a world without sin? I think it would be a horrible place to live. There would no passion, no heroism, no forbidden love. There would be no sacrafice, no toiling to achieve and no poetry. Sure there would be no Hitler, but there would be also be no Martin Luther King, no Ghandi, no Mother Teresa and no Jesus.

I doubt very much that Adam and Eve were human before they ate of the fruit. They had the shell of being human, but they lacked the very things that truly make us human. Without temptation, yearning, striving against all odds and impossible dreams what are we?

From this story, I don't think it was God who created human beings. Well, it was God who created the body.

But it was the serpent who gave man his soul.

ebrown_p, I don't disagree with you. As my favorite college philosophy teacher told us students repeatedly. "God make me pure, but not yet." How would we know what not to do if we have never done the wrong, actually the learning, part? As we may deduct from the story of the prodigal son, where is the "sin" there? I don't think there is an unpardonable sin. And, I'm going to change my post to say that I don't really think any truely "enlightened" person can use powers and gifts for their own personal gain.

I've thought for some time now that God created the spirit (in which is both male and female) and that we as wayward spirits tried to create ourselves, made such a super mess of it all that God then created a body for us to reside whilest we then began the learning process.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 08:42 pm
I very slightly remember a comment against the holy spirit as being unpardonable, but that wasn't drummed into us all that much.

Personally, as a longago Catholic with a capital C, I'd be thinking the enlargement of range of papal sway would be damned hard to get over - talk about hubris.
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 09:48 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
Searching for knowledge is undoubtably the unpardonable sin.

ebrown_p - But of course. The more that a person knows, and understands, the less he is liable to adhere to dogma. It is in a religious group's best interest to keep their people as naive as possible, to keep them open to accepting unsupportable ideas.

I would be interested in finding some statistics that would show a correlation between level of religiosity, income and education.

Not exactly what you asked for, but interesting
http://www.religioustolerance.org/ev_publi.htm

P
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 10:22 pm
Ossobucco, the philosophy teacher of whom I spoke was a former priest (20 years) who left that position because he wanted the love of a woman (his words). Guess he could have stayed a priest and got his needs met in various other ways.

People who choose religious careers are just that, no more special than the rest of us. We all have a "calling" to a certain career, a hermitage, or whatever. I've had a couplea bad neighbors who were very good "teachers."
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 10:40 pm
Intrepid wrote:
The greatest sin is the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit as seen in the following verses.

Mark 3:28  Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
29  But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:
30  Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

Hebrews 6:4  For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5  And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6  If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
To which you might add Hebrews 10:26: "For if we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 10:46 pm
Sunlover, my being on this thread is a little unfair to you. I couldn't resist a dart in response to the question, but generally don't want to get involved in belief discussions.
Carry on..
0 Replies

Gestalt

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 01:37 pm
Jesus clearly said that he would cover your sins and would save ANYONE who called upon his name. Theft, Murder, and anything else is all forgivable. They are all equal in God's eyes, sin is sin.

Blaspheming the Holy spirit IS the only one we know of that is in fact unpardonable. (Refer back to Intrepid's references.) If you are worried about committing this sin, then you more then likely have not committed it because it is the holy spirit that causes you to be concerned. Those without the holy spirit would most likely care less.
0 Replies