Unpardonable Sin

fdrhs

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 08:52 am
What is the unpardonable sin? I have heard so many different opinion that my mind is cluttered and confused. Can you help me understand what it means to commit a sin that there is no forgiveness for? Some say that CURSING at the Holy Spirit is a sin; others teach that CONSTANTLY REJECTING Jesus as Lord and Savior leads to the unpardonable sin.

When I was a teenager, I got VERY ANGRY at God and verbally cursed the Holy Spirit. Did I commit the unpardonable sin? So, I NEVER can have God's forgiveness? Honestly, what is this all about?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,305 • Replies: 28
No top replies

material girl

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 08:58 am
Again, Its people making things up, to put fear in people so they will behave themselves.
Dont worry about it.If swearing is an unpardonable sin, Hell is gona get crowded.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 09:02 am
Well, I'm not a believer in sin from a biblical perspective anyway. I heard the cursing the Holy Spirit bit, too.

I believe the unpardonable sin is lying.

People have many emotions, and we are, after all, a complex array of chemicals and biology. We are only "human."

But a person has to make a willful choice to tell an untruth.

Perhaps there are other "sins" that could fall into this category, I haven't really thought about that.

Only that "lying" is always a personal choice.

And that always telling the truth will lead to an interesting life. Not that I go out of my way to tell my version of truth to anybody, or to hurt anybody by being too truthful.

Just your every day, don't-tell-a-lie kind of person.

I'm a collector.

I hear lots of lies.

Why won't people tell the truth?

"I'm not going to pay that bill. Not now, not ever."
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 09:04 am
The unpardonable sin in any church is thinking for oneself.

I know, I commited it.... and look where it got me.
0 Replies

fdrhs

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 09:04 am
ok
I did not say that swearing will take us to hell. Some Bible teachers say that cursing the HOLY SPIRIT (not the same as one human cursing another) is the unpardonable sin. See my point?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 10:10 am
There you go.The Holy Spirit.Ever seen it?Does it exsist?
They are just controlling you.

Someone could be as nice as pie all your life and still die of a horrid disease.
Life works in mysterious ways.

Can you tell me what bad things have happened to you since you cursed the Holy Spirit, that wouldnt have happened if you hadnt cursed it?

Religion is about control, sometimes its good, sometimes its bad.

Ive no idea what shape an unpardonable sin comes in.
All I know is try to be good, be nice to people but dont neglect your own feelings/thoughts.
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 11:09 am
I think the N.T. refers to "blaspheming the Holy Spirit" as the unforgiveable sin. The interpretation I have heard is that "blaspheming the H.S." would be to consider the works of the Spirit as unnecessary, inferior to your own ways, etc.--in other words, to reject God's plan (i.e., salvation) in favor of your own "self-determinism".
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 11:20 am
In other words, if you don't join the "club", you are drummed out of the corps!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 11:51 am
lab rat wrote:
I think the N.T. refers to "blaspheming the Holy Spirit" as the unforgiveable sin. The interpretation I have heard is that "blaspheming the H.S." would be to consider the works of the Spirit as unnecessary, inferior to your own ways, etc.--in other words, to reject God's plan (i.e., salvation) in favor of your own "self-determinism".

"Self-Determinism", or choosing your own desitiny is the unpardonable sin. (That sounds like what I said.) We are talking about an eternal torment in the fires of hell here, aren't we?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 12:01 pm
Well, I'd better have a good air conditioner guy on retainer! :wink:
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 12:25 pm
The greatest sin is the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit as seen in the following verses.

Mark 3:28  Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
29  But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:
30  Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

Hebrews 6:4  For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5  And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6  If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 12:38 pm
That passage from Hebrews 6:4-6 seems to refer more to backsliding or apostasy as it's called in church circles. The heathen who has never heard the word of God is forgiven his sins. But the person who has become a Christian and then goes back to pagan ways will never be forgiven. That's how I read it.

My own definition of the unpardonable sin is the person who commits a sin, knowing it is a sin and does so because he/she knows it is a sin. The person who commits a wrongful act (wrongful in the eyes of the church, I mean) out of ignorance has not sinned. The person who does so but repents and feels sorry for what he/she has done, will be forgiven. That's because we are all weak and easily tempted. But the person who does it knowingly, not in spite of the fact that he knows it to be wrong, but because he intentionally wants to commit a sin has comitted an unforgiveable act.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 12:43 pm
Merry Andrew,
You are correct about the Hebrews verse. I was including that because I had read a question in that area in a different forum and forgot which one it was. Thought it may be read here.

Other than the sin mentioned in Mark......
The smallest sin must be forgiven and the biggest sin can be forgiven.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 01:03 pm
dupre wrote:
Well, I'm not a believer in sin from a biblical perspective anyway. I heard the cursing the Holy Spirit bit, too.

I believe the unpardonable sin is lying.

not being a believer either,
I would say the the biggest " sin" is theft.
And every other rule is just a variation of theft-

Murder , when you kill somone you have stolen that person from their family friends and loved ones. You have robbed them of security, freedom and the ability to live their lives.

Robbery-
When you break into someones home, you steal their secuirty, and their right to safety and privacy.
Blasphemy- ( according to christians.... ) When you use gods name in vain., you are stealing his power and his respect.

Rape- you are stealing a persons right to sexual freedom and choice, you are stealing their safety..

the list can go on and on.. But I think I made my point..
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 01:07 pm
Definition of sin - Estrangement from God
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 01:40 pm
Shewolf -- I agree that all transgressions are just forms of theft. But none of the "sins" you name are unpardonable. A person can be forgiven even murder if he/she "sees the light" and repents.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 01:46 pm
that is true..
i forgot about that.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 03:25 pm
The original Sin was a quest for knowledge.

Genesis 3 wrote:

Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the LORD God had made. He said to the woman, "Did God really say, 'You must not eat from any tree in the garden'?"

The woman said to the serpent, "We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, but God did say, 'You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.' "

"You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman. 5 "For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."

When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.

The very first sin ever commited-- the one which caused humankind to be cast out of paradise and severed man's relationship with God-- was gaining knowledge.

Searching for knowledge is undoubtably the unpardonable sin.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 05:31 pm
When an "enlightened" human being decides to sin, now, that sin will be at an incredibly high level and could damage unbelievable numbers of people. This "enlightened" person could poison our minds against each other, even our own selves. I wonder if this particular sin has ever happened ?

I think Adam and Eve were not "ready" for the knowledge they discovered after "eating" from the Tree of Knowledge. So, it was back to the beginning for them, get out of The Garaden, do not pass GO, do not collect $200.

Perhaps I'm saying this very badly but I do get so tired of quoted scripture.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 05:43 pm
Quote:
Searching for knowledge is undoubtably the unpardonable sin.

ebrown_p - But of course. The more that a person knows, and understands, the less he is liable to adhere to dogma. It is in a religious group's best interest to keep their people as naive as possible, to keep them open to accepting unsupportable ideas.

I would be interested in finding some statistics that would show a correlation between level of religiosity, income and education.
0 Replies