Today's (Republican Party): What are they for? What are they against?

Real Music

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2023 10:06 pm
Quote:

Published September 7, 2023

0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2023 12:41 pm
Maga is a fascist party in formation. Eventually, all conservative and moderate aspects of the GOP are to be purged. That's the aim of Maga. But it may be short lived. Fascism depends on a strong man in the center to hold the party together.

At sone time in the near future, the center, which is Donald trump, will no longer exist and then the continued existence of the Maga party will be in question. Donald Trump is facing a number of serious legal felony charges and even if he survives the justice system, he's not a young man. After Trump is gone, will another strong man demagogue take over or will the reemergence of conservative values occur in the GOP? The events of the next two years or so will determine the future of Maga extremism. Will the country continue it's march towward the abyss of fascism or return to its relatively balanced political life?
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2023 08:38 pm
1. In my opinion, MAGA Republicans, MAGA extremist, and Trumpism are one in the same.

2. They are synonymous.

3. MAGA extremist is what the Republican Party of today has become.

4. These MAGA extremist has shown utter disdain to anyone or anything that interferes with their goals
of overthrowing the government of the United States of America.

5. These MAGA extremist has shown utter disdain to anyone or anything that defends the national security
of the United States of America.

6. These MAGA extremist has shown utter disdain for the United States Constitution.

7. These MAGA extremist has shown utter disdain for anyone or anything who fails to bow down
to Russia and Vladimir Putin.

8. These MAGA extremist has shown utter disdain for anyone who fails to pledge their complete allegiance
and unconditional loyalty to their Autocrat in Chief, Donald Trump.

8. These MAGA extremist clearly don't respect the sacrifices and bravery of the men and women of the United States military.

9. These MAGA extremist clearly don't respect the sacrifices and bravery of the veterans of the United States military.

10. These MAGA extremist has shown an utter disdain for the Rule of Law.

11. Let me reiterate: MAGA Republicans, MAGA extremist, and Trumpism are synonymous.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2023 10:18 pm
Here are just some reports of Donald Trump not respecting the sacrifices and bravery
of the men and women of the United States military.

Here are just some reports of Donald Trump not respecting the sacrifices and bravery
of the veterans of the United States military.

Published Oct 3, 2023

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2023 10:31 pm
John McCain responds to Donald Trump P.O.W. comment.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2023 10:44 pm
‘God Help Us’: John Kelly Confirms Trump Mocked Veterans
during Arlington Memorial Service

Published October 3, 2023 9:30 AM

Quote:
Donald Trump’s longest-serving chief of staff John Kelly confirmed Monday that the former president made several derogatory comments in private mocking American military members and veterans.

“What can I add that has not already been said?” Kelly, who previously served as Trump’s Secretary of Homeland Security, said in a statement provided to CNN’s Jake Tapper. “A person that thinks those who defend their country in uniform, or are shot down or seriously wounded in combat, or spend years being tortured as POWs are all ‘suckers’ because ‘there is nothing in it for them.’ A person that did not want to be seen in the presence of military amputees because ‘it doesn’t look good for me.’ A person who demonstrated open contempt for a Gold Star family – for all Gold Star families – on TV during the 2016 campaign, and rants that our most precious heroes who gave their lives in America’s defense are ‘losers’ and wouldn’t visit their graves in France.”

In his written statement, Kelly confirmed several explosive allegations included in a September 2020 article by Atlantic editor-in-chief Jeffrey Goldberg, including that Trump turned to Kelly during a Memorial Day celebration at Arlington National Cemetery in 2017 and said, “I don’t get it. What was in it for them?” The article also alleged that Trump privately called former Senator John McCain (R., Ariz.), who he publicly mocked on the campaign trail in 2016 for being captured during the Vietnam War, a “loser,” a term he also reportedly applied to George H.W. Bush, who was also shot down while serving as a pilot in World War II.

“We’re not going to support that loser’s funeral,” Trump reportedly told aides. “What the f*** are we doing that for? Guy was a f***ing loser.”

According to the story, Trump also ditched plans to visit the graves of Americans killed in World War I at the Aisne-Marne cemetery outside of Paris in 2018, publicly citing technical difficulties with transportation, though later confiding to a staffer: “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.”

Kelly also confirmed that Trump told him he did not want wounded soldiers in a military parade the former president was planning at the time, a detail first reported by Peter Baker and Susan Glasser in their book The Divider: Trump in the White House, 2017-2021.

“Look, I don’t want any wounded guys in the parade,” Trump said.

“Those are the heroes,” Kelly said. “In our society, there’s only one group of people who are more heroic than they are – and they are buried over in Arlington.”

“I don’t want them,” Trump responded. “It doesn’t look good for me.”

Kelly condemned Trump for failing to understand the essence of America. Trump is a “person that has no idea what America stands for and has no idea what America is all about. A person who cavalierly suggests that a selfless warrior who has served his country for 40 years in peacetime and war should lose his life for treason — in expectation that someone will take action. A person who admires autocrats and murderous dictators. A person that has nothing but contempt for our democratic institutions, our Constitution, and the rule of law.”

“There is nothing more that can be said,” the former chief of staff concluded. “God help us.”

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/god-help-us-john-kelly-confirms-trump-mocked-veterans-during-arlington-memorial-service/
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2023 10:53 pm
Hear what Trump reportedly said about injured veteran after this hug.

In a new profile in The Atlantic, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley says former President Donald Trump
instructed him to not bring wounded veterans to public events.

Published Sep 22, 2023

0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2023 11:28 am
"You know, when Mitt Romney was a Republican candidate he was roundly criticized for saying that Russia was the number one strategic competitor of the United States, and we've gone from that to a Republican Party half of which is actually on Russia's side rather than Ukraine's side, and I actually think what Putin did has clarified for people on the right. But what really crystallized that kind of right wing support in the United States is just the idea of a strong man."

"They want a leader who doesn't have to listen to judges, to courts, to the press to his own bureaucracy. They want somebody like Putin, and I think that as the last few months have unfolded with the indictment of Donald Trump and his complete contempt for the rule of law and for the Judgment of prosecutors, it's evident that he is really basically an authoritarian and that that authoritarian streak, which I actually didn't think was really present in American politics, has been crystallized. And I think Putin has personally helped to do that by presenting these people with a model of the kind of leadership that they would like to exert...."
--Francis Fukuyama, Stanford University Senior Fellow

https://youtu.be/bu9BWMFFqNc?si=jHQB0TpTl-cMigSH
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2023 09:41 pm
Quote:

Published Nov 2, 2023

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2023 09:04 pm
Have You Listened Lately to What Trump Is Saying?

Opinion by Peter Wehner
Published November 22, 2023

Quote:
In 2019, Kennedy Ndahiro, the editor of the Rwandan daily newspaper The New Times, explained to readers of The Atlantic how years of cultivated hatred had led to death on a horrifying scale.

“In Rwanda,” he wrote, “we know what can happen when political leaders and media outlets single out certain groups of people as less than human.”

Ndahiro pointed out that in 1959, Joseph Habyarimana Gitera, an influential political figure within the largest ethnic group in Rwanda, the Hutus, had openly called for the elimination of the Tutsi, the second-largest of Rwanda’s ethnic groups. Gitera referred to the Tutsi as “vermin.”
“The stigmatization and dehumanization of the Tutsi had begun,” Ndahiro wrote. It culminated in a 100-day stretch in 1994 when an estimated 1 million people were killed, the majority of whom were Tutsi. “The worst kind of hatred had been unleashed,” Ndahiro wrote. “What began with dehumanizing words ended in bloodshed.”

I THOUGHT ABOUT the events that led up to the Rwandan genocide after I heard Donald Trump, in a Veterans Day speech, refer to those he counts as his enemies as “vermin.”

“We pledge to you that we will root out the Communists, Marxists, fascists, and the radical-left thugs that live like vermin within the confines of our country—that lie and steal and cheat on elections,” Trump said toward the end of his speech in Claremont, New Hampshire. “They’ll do anything, whether legally or illegally, to destroy America and to destroy the American dream.” The former president continued, “The threat from outside forces is far less sinister, dangerous, and grave than the threat from within. Our threat is from within.”

When Trump finished his speech, the audience erupted in applause.

Trump’s comments came only a few weeks after he had been asked about immigration and the southern border in an interview with the host of a right-wing website. “Did you ever think you would see this level of American carnage?” Trump was asked.

“No. Nobody has seen anything like this,” Trump responded. “I think you could say worldwide. I think you could go to a banana republic and pick the worst one and you’re not going to see what we’re witnessing now.” The front-runner for the Republican nomination warned that immigrants pose an immediate threat. “We know they come from prisons. We know they come from mental institutions and insane asylums. We know they’re terrorists. Nobody has ever seen anything like we’re witnessing right now. It is a very sad thing for our country. It’s poisoning the blood of our country.”

In a September 20 speech in Dubuque, Iowa, Trump said, “What they’re doing to our country, they’re destroying it. It’s the blood of our country. What they’re doing is destroying our country.”

Trump’s rhetoric is a permission slip for his supporters to dehumanize others just as he does. He portrays others as existential threats, determined to destroy everything MAGA world loves about America. Trump is doing two things at once: pushing the narrative that his enemies must be defeated while dissolving the natural inhibitions most human beings have against hating and harming others. It signals to his supporters that any means to vanquish the other side is legitimate; the normal constraints that govern human interactions no longer apply.

Dehumanizers view their targets as having “a human appearance but a subhuman essence,” according to David Livingstone Smith, a philosophy professor who has written on the history and complicated psychological roots of dehumanization. “It is the dehumanizer’s nagging awareness of the other’s humanity that gives dehumanization its distinctive psychological flavor,” he writes. “Ironically, it is our inability to regard other people as nothing but animals that leads to unimaginable cruelty and destructiveness.” Dehumanized people can be turned into something worse than animals; they can be turned into monsters. They aren’t just dangerous; they are metaphysically threatening. They are not just subhuman; they are irredeemably destructive.

THAT IS THE WICKEDLY SHREWD rhetorical and psychological game that Trump is playing, and he plays it very well. Alone among American politicians, he has an intuitive sense of how to inflame detestations and resentments within his supporters while also deepening their loyalty to him, even their reverence for him.

Trump’s opponents, including the press, are “truly the enemy of the people.” He demanded that the parent company of MSNBC and NBC be investigated for “treason” over what he described as “one-side[d] and vicious coverage.” He insinuated on his social network, Truth Social, that the former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Mark Milley, deserved to be executed for committing treason. At a Trump event in Iowa, days after that post, one Trump supporter asked why Milley wasn’t “in there before a firing squad within a month.” Another told NBC News, “Treason is treason. There’s only one cure for treason: being put to death.”

Trump has taken to mocking the violent attack on Nancy Pelosi’s husband, which left him with a fractured skull that required surgery and other serious injuries. Special Counsel Jack Smith, who has brought two indictments against the former president, is a “Trump-hating prosecutor” who is “deranged” and a “disgrace to America”—and whose wife and family “despise me much more than he does.” The former president posted the name, photo, and private Instagram account of a law clerk serving Judge Arthur Engoron, who is currently presiding over Trump’s civil fraud trial and whom Trump despises and has repeatedly attacked, describing him as “CRAZY” and “CRAZED in his hatred of me.” (Trump later deleted the Truth Social post targeting the law clerk, whom he called a “Trump Hating Clerk,” but not until after it had been widely disseminated.)

And in the first rally of his 2024 campaign, held in Waco, Texas, Trump lent his voice to a recording of the J6 Prison Choir, which is made up of men who were imprisoned for their part in the riot at the United States Capitol on January 6, 2021. The song “Justice for All” features Trump reciting the Pledge of Allegiance mixed with a rendition of the national anthem.

“Our people love those people,” Trump said at the rally, speaking of those who were jailed. “What’s happening in that prison, it’s a hellhole … These are people that shouldn’t have been there.”

The Washington Post “identified five of the roughly 15 men who are featured in the video. Four of them were charged with assaulting police, using weapons such as a crowbar, sticks and chemical spray, including against Officer Brian D. Sicknick, who died the next day.”

At the Waco rally, Trump declared, “I am your warrior. I am your justice.” He added, “For those who have been wronged and betrayed, of which there are many people out there that have been wronged and betrayed, I am your retribution.” Trump has described 2024 as “our final battle.” He means it; so do tens of millions of his supporters.

TRUMP’S RHETORIC IS CLEARLY fascistic. These days, Trump is being “much more overt about becoming an authoritarian and transforming America into some version of autocracy,” Ruth Ben-Ghiat, a historian at NYU, told PBS NewsHour. That doesn’t mean that if Trump were elected president in 2024, America would become a fascistic state. Our institutions may be strong enough to resist him, though it’s an open question. But Trump can do many things short of imposing fascism that can do grave harm to America.

Trump, after all, has been impeached twice, indicted four times on 91 counts, and found liable for sexual abuse and defamation. Courts in New York have found that he or his companies have committed bank fraud, insurance fraud, tax fraud, and charity fraud. Trump tried to overturn the 2020 election. He was the catalyzing figure that led to a violent attack on the Capitol. And he has argued for “the termination of all rules, regulations, and articles, even those found in the Constitution.”

In our nation’s history, according to former Vice President Dick Cheney, who served in four Republican administrations and was part of the Republican leadership in the House, “there has never been an individual who is a greater threat to our republic than Donald Trump.”

That Trump would say what he’s said and done what he’s done is no surprise; he is a profoundly damaged human being, emotionally and psychologically. And he’s been entirely transparent about who he is. The most troubling aspect of this whole troubling drama has been the people in the Republican Party who, though they know better, have accommodated themselves to Trump’s corruptions time after time after time. Some cheer him on; others silently go along for the ride. A few gently criticize him and then quickly change topics. But they never leave him.

By now I know how this plays out: For most Republicans to acknowledge—to others and even to themselves—what Trump truly is and still stay loyal to him would create enormous cognitive dissonance. Their mind won’t allow them to go there; instead, they find ways to ease the inner conflict. And so they embrace conspiracy theories to support what they desperately want to believe—for example, that the election was stolen, or that the investigation into Russian ties to the 2016 Trump campaign was a “hoax,” or that Joe Biden has committed impeachable offenses. They indulge in whataboutism and catastrophism—the belief that society is on the edge of collapse—to justify their support for Trump. They have a burning psychological need to rationalize why, in this moment in history, the ends justify the means.

As one Trump supporter put it in an email to me earlier this month, “Trump is decidedly not good and decent”—but, he added, “good and decent isn’t getting us very far politically.” And: “We’ve tried good and decent. But at the ballot box, that doesn’t work. We need to try another way.”

This sentiment is one I’ve heard many times before. In 2016, during the Republican primaries, a person I had known for many years through church wrote to me. “I think we have likely slipped past the point of no return as a country and I’m desperately hoping for a leader who can turn us around. I have no hope that one of the establishment guys would do that. That, I believe, is what opens people up to Trump. He’s all the bad things you say, but what has the Republican establishment given me in the past 16 years? First and foremost: BHO,” they said, using a derogatory acronym for Barack Obama that is meant to highlight his middle name, Hussein.

If I had told this individual in 2016 what Trump would say and do over the next eight years, I’m confident he would have laughed it off, dismissing it as “Trump Derangement Syndrome”—and that he would have assured me that if Trump did do all these things, then of course he would break with him. Yet here we are. Despite Trump’s well-documented depravity, he still has a vise grip on the GOP; he carried 94 percent of the Republican vote in 2020, an increase from 2016, and he is leading his closest primary challenger nationally by more than 45 points.

White evangelical Protestants are among the Republican Party’s most loyal constituencies, and in 2020, according to the Pew Research Center, more than eight in 10 white evangelical Protestant voters who frequently attend religious services voted for Trump, as had 81 percent of those who attend less frequently. That’s an increase over 2016. Trump’s support among white evangelicals is still extremely high: 81 percent hold a favorable view of him, according to a poll taken in June—after Trump was indicted for a second time.

The evangelical movement in America has been reshaped by the sensibilities of Trump and MAGA world. For example, in one survey, nearly one-third of white evangelicals expressed support for the statement “Because things have gotten so far off track, true American patriots may have to resort to violence in order to save our country.”

It is a rather remarkable indictment of those who claim to be followers of Jesus that they would continue to show fealty to a man whose cruel ethic has always been antithetical to Jesus’s and becomes more so every day. Many of the same people who celebrate Christianity’s contributions to civilization—championing the belief that every human being has inherent rights and dignity, celebrating the teachings of the Sermon on the Mount and the parable of the Good Samaritan, and pointing to a “transcendent order of justice and hope that stands above politics,” in the words of my late friend Michael Gerson—continue to stand foursquare behind a man who uses words that echo Mein Kampf.

It doesn’t have to be this way. Taking a stand for conscience, even long after one should have, is always the right thing to do.

“When we engage in dehumanizing rhetoric and promote dehumanizing images,” the best-selling author Brené Brown has written, “we diminish our own humanity in the process.” We are called to find the face of God in everyone we meet, she says, including those with whom we most deeply disagree. “When we desecrate their divinity, we desecrate our own, and we betray our humanity.”

Far too many Christians in America are not only betraying their humanity; they are betraying the Lord they claim to love and serve.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/have-you-listened-lately-to-what-trump-is-saying/ar-AA1klvvG
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2024 03:25 pm
'Appalling': Romney accuses Trump of trying to stop bill to blame Biden

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-UT) says that President Trump has told Republican lawmakers to not negotiate a compromise bill with President Biden that could help alleviate some of the immigration issues at the US-Mexico border.

Published Jan 25, 2024

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2024 03:32 pm
Lemire: McConnell's admitting Trump doesn't want this border security deal

House Republicans find themselves in a rift over a pivotal border security deal while Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell's position takes a surprising turn, now suggesting separating the Ukraine funding from the border security deal. The Morning Joe panel discuss.

Published Jan 25, 2024

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2024 03:39 pm
1. I hope the Democrats put a bright spotlight on the Republican Party's bullshit.

2. Don't allow Donald Trump and the Republican Party to get away with this obvious bullshit.

3. Democrats need to make the Republican Party own this obvious bullshit.

4. That will allow the voters to know who and what they are voting for, in this upcoming election.
Real Music

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2024 12:38 am
Quote:

Published Jan 25, 2024

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2024 08:48 pm
Quote:

'Nakedly-cynical politics' at play in efforts to tank border compromise

House Republican leadership and former President Trump continue to try and thwart a deal on border security being negotiated by a bipartisan group of senators.

Published Jan 29, 2024

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2024 06:17 pm
Quote:

Published January 30, 2024

0 Replies

Bogulum

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2024 07:24 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

1. I hope the Democrats put a bright spotlight on the Republican Party's bullshit.

2. Don't allow Donald Trump and the Republican Party to get away with this obvious bullshit.

3. Democrats need to make the Republican Party own this obvious bullshit.

4. That will allow the voters to know who and what they are voting for, in this upcoming election.

So you're thinking that seeing republican candidates be exposed as spineless liars motivated only by personal gain and gaining political advantage, and who have zero intent to serve the real needs of their constituents, that this knowledge will influence republican voters to recoil from them in disgust and possibly not vote for them?

That just seems like such a wild thought, to me. I think that anyone who has continued to support and vote for trump, and vote for republicans who support trump through our last 8 years of history is so far beyond the reach of reason that it makes continuing to try to reason with them an exercise in pathetic futility.

But you know... opinions and assholes, everybody has one.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2024 11:20 am
@Bogulum,
Today's Republican Party is trying to establish a 'religious order' for all 'red' blooded Americans to obey. It's going to be fun waiting to see which particular protestant religion gets selected to be our new Christian leadership appropriate religion. (I hope we won't have to see Methodists, Presbyterians and Lutherans engaged in a rock throwing battle in front of the White House)
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2024 12:11 pm
@Bogulum,
The Democratic party strategy should be twofold:

1. First is to get a (high percentage of the base) of the Democratic party to show up and vote.

2. And second is to get (higher share of swing voters) to vote for the Democrats.
Bogulum

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2024 12:49 pm
@Real Music,
I've heard of those "swing voters". I think they ride unicorns and hunt bigfoots.
0 Replies