How does one properly observe, celebrate and/or commemorate Barbenheimer?

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2023 01:43 pm
July 21 will bring around Barbenheimer. An event never seen before in theatrical history and likely never happen again. I know the holiday is a big thing now now that it should be officially designated a federal holiday in the U.S., but how does one properly observe, celebrate and/or observe the holiday?

Please help. Thank you.

Barbie

and
Oppenheimer
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,525 • Replies: 15
No top replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2023 12:22 pm
Don't iron while the strike is hot.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2023 10:50 am
Going to see Oppenheimer on 70MM tonight. Will be seeing Barbie next week or so with a friend.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2023 03:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
What to know about the 'Barbenheimer' double feature frenzy
Quote:
Why are they coming out on the same day?
It's increasingly rare for two such high-profile movies to hit theaters on the same day.

Some think it might have to do with Nolan leaving Warner Bros. (after its controversial decision to release its 2021 movies in theaters and on its streaming service simultaneously) and make Oppenheimer with Universal instead.

Their theory is that Warner Bros. chose to release Barbie the same day out of spite. When asked about this by Insider at a recent press event, Nolan chuckled and refused to answer.

'American Prometheus' authors on 'The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer'
TRINITY AND THE BIRTH OF THE ATOMIC BOMB
'American Prometheus' authors on 'The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer'
Opposite blockbusters have been pitted against each other in the past, like 10 Things I Hate About You opening against The Matrix in 1999. And, in a much-discussed parallel, Nolan's The Dark Knight premiered on the same day as Mamma Mia in the summer of 2008.

Experts say releasing two different genres of movies on the same day can actually be good for business, especially if they appeal to distinct demographics.

And it certainly appears to be fueling ticket sales for both Barbie and Oppenheimer, whose target audiences may not be as segmented as some originally thought.

One Twitter user went viral back in April for suggesting that there would be little overlap. He was immediately inundated with tweets — many from women in STEM — proving otherwise.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2023 04:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
They shouldn't be named together, really. Oppenheimer I will definitely see, it has great reviews, it has a message and it's a piece of history.

Barbie? A complete hype that is the typical American bubble gum slap stick -
silly with no intention of making the least bit sense - no thank you!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2023 11:51 am
Went to see Oppenheimer on 70MM this Friday.

Expect Oscar nominations for Score, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing, Acting noms for Cillian Murphy, Emily Blunt, and Robert Downey Jr. And Best Picture.

~~
"Barbenheimer" opening weekend raked in $235.5 million together — but "Barbie" box office numbers beat "Oppenheimer"
Quote:
"Barbenheimer" took the country by storm this weekend. The phenomenon had movie-goers celebrating the release of two very different movies — the pink drenched "Barbie" movie and and the WWII period piece "Oppenheimer" — in the same weekend. "Barbie" ended up coming out on top, raking in $155 million at the box office, according to Box Office Mojo.

Oppenheimer, which is about physicist J. Robert Oppenheimer, who led U.S. efforts to create the atomic bomb, raked in $80.5 million to place second for the weekend of July 21-23. "Barbie" made nearly half its earnings on Friday alone, with $70.8 million that day.
engineer

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2023 12:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
My daughter did Barbenheimer and gave Oppenheimer a 4.6 and Barbie a 5. She never even owned a Barbie
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2023 12:35 pm
@engineer,
4.6 and Barbie a 5... out of 5 or 10? The scale makes a big difference.
engineer

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2023 12:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
Lol, out of 5
glitterbag

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2023 03:27 pm
@engineer,
I loved Oppenheimer (didn't like the background music) thought it was an incredibly accurate history lesson that needs to be remembered.

Haven't seen Barbie, thought it would be geared for children, maybe I was wrong. I've heard a lot from others who have seen the movie and loved it.
0 Replies

RPhalange

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2023 04:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
I think it is because Barbie is supposed to be a satire, at least that is the way I take it. I've read the reviews and saw some clips. If done the right way it could be pretty funny and clever. Think Shrek satire on Disney; there seems a bit of fun poking at the lack of women in corporate America, Barbie asking the board of directors where all the women are; I don't know if done right, it can be good.

I like clever and satire over slap stick. And my impression is this movie may be more clever satire.
laughoutlood

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2023 02:22 am
@tsarstepan,
A black schwa stick or a pink tarnation (do-war)
Both are dressed up for a prance (burn-burn, burn-burn, burn, burn)

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2023 04:40 am
@RPhalange,
My son saw it, it seems to have a lot in common with the Lego Movie.

There's the toy world (Lego/Barbie,) and then there's the real world with some crossover.

The Barbie world is the way it is because that is how MEN designed it, thinking that's what little girls wanted.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2023 12:09 pm
@izzythepush,
Interesting that Will Ferrell plays a very similar character in both Barbie and the Lego Movie.
~~

'Barbie' is the only billion-dollar blockbuster solely directed by a woman
Quote:
Barbie will surpass $1 billion worldwide, according to Warner Bros. estimates. Hard as it may be to believe, that makes director Greta Gerwig the only woman in the billion-dollar club with sole credit for directing a film.

A couple of other women have shared credit for directing movies that made more than a billion dollars. Both Frozen and Frozen II were co-directed by a man and a woman, Jennifer Lee and Chris Buck. And Anna Boden co-directed Captain Marvel with Ryan Fleck. Wonder Woman, directed by Patty Jenkins, is among the top 60 highest grossing films, not adjusted for inflation, but it has not broken the billion dollar barrier.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2023 11:42 am
@tsarstepan,
‘Barbie’s’ Big Payday: Margot Robbie Will Earn $50 Million in Salary and Box Office Bonuses (EXCLUSIVE)
Quote:
“Barbie” director and co-writer Greta Gerwig will also likely receive bonuses because of the film’s outsized success. “Barbie” has earned an astonishing $526.3 million at the domestic box office since it opened a month ago, as well as $657.6 million at the international box office. That comes out to $1.18 billion globally — and that figure should keep climbing given that “Barbie” is still topping box office charts. The film is now the second highest-grossing release in the history of Warner Bros., behind “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2.” It’s also the highest-grossing film ever from a female director, overtaking the previous record holder, “Frozen II,” which was co-directed by Jennifer Lee.

https://imgur.com/TsNG6f2.jpg
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2023 11:29 am
0 Replies