Desktop Search software - Yahoo or newest Google?

dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 03:57 pm
I note Google has released an upgrade to its desktop search software:

Google tool watches as you work

Google is going head-to-head with rival Yahoo

Google's desktop search software is being overhauled to become a digital helper that reacts to what users do.

The move is likely to intensify competition between Google and rivals Microsoft, Yahoo and AOL.

The revamped software will suggest web links, personal documents and images that might be relevant to whatever someone is doing with their computer.

The tool also automatically subscribes to feeds from weblogs and news sites that a user visits..............

Full story here

Any of you boffins and buffs have an opinion on the current best software?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 871 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 06:23 pm
It's probably just that I'm a woeful creature of habit, but Google has always worked fine for me and, with new bells and whistles, it'll probably continue to work just fine. I hardly ever use any other search engine. The new software is probably no more than a marketing ploy to stay competitive with the other big guys who are muscling in on Google's traditional territory.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 06:28 pm
I continue to use Yahoo's desktop search (and continue to test them all) for my own use, as the upgrades in Google's don't address any of the issues I have with it (and won't as they are fundamental differences).

But do note that Google's is the fastest and has a nice algo, that's not enough to make up for what I like about the others but just give em a spin, they aren't that complex.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 04:23 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
I continue to use Yahoo's desktop search (and continue to test them all) for my own use, as the upgrades in Google's don't address any of the issues I have with it (and won't as they are fundamental differences).

But do note that Google's is the fastest and has a nice algo, that's not enough to make up for what I like about the others

Thanks - be interested if you have time to comment on the issues you have with it. Do they just affect uber-users (yes, I know there's an umlaut in uber) such as yourself, or ordinary users?

Craven de Kere wrote:
but just give em a spin, they aren't that complex.

Yes, I know - even I can use them she said drily - I have had Yahoo.

But, rather than waste time and bytes and such downloading 'em, I was interested to see if people such as yourself had informed opinions.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 04:24 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
It's probably just that I'm a woeful creature of habit, but Google has always worked fine for me and, with new bells and whistles, it'll probably continue to work just fine. I hardly ever use any other search engine. The new software is probably no more than a marketing ploy to stay competitive with the other big guys who are muscling in on Google's traditional territory.

Are you thinking I was asking about web search engines, Merry?

I am asking about the ones that can search your computer for you.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 04:32 am
Oh.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 04:38 am
Yep.

There there.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 02:22 am
Some of my issues with the google offering are too techie for most, like the fact that it runs a server on the machine, and that I already have issues with running IIS and Apache (for ASP and PHP respectively) for testing on my boxes.

I also prefer the filtering capability of Yahoo's as I often intentionally seed files with metadata like keywords.

For example, I will write a specfic string in an email subject, and Yahoo's search allows me to search subjects (and a whole lot else) exclusively while Google's relies on an overall algo that is harder to predict than the simple filters and thusly a bit harder for me to effectively use.
0 Replies