English usage, spelling, and grammar

Mame

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2023 05:46 pm
Has anyone else noticed how many articles contain badly written, badly spelled and/or grammatically incorrect text? I am appalled. This morning I came across a review by James Mackin of a film called Bones of Crow. He wrote "... her and her sisters...", when it should have been "... she and her sisters...", and "... does not shine away...", when it should have been "... does not shy away...". There are other mistakes which I did not bother to point out to him, there being so many. I just checked his online review and he made those changes (shock).

Many of these articles are being written by journalists, whom one would expect to have a decent grasp of the English language, no? When one comes across these every day, it's dispiriting. I know languages change, but this misuse and abuse is so commonplace, and unnecessarily so, since there are so many online grammar-check programs. Do editors no longer exist? Or they just as unaware as their writers?

Another complaint I have is when reporters mispronounce or wrongly emphasize name-places. Saying AbbotsFORD, when it's AbbotsFERD. They are supposedly local news anchors but if you don't know how to pronounce something, ask someone. It's disconcerting. One anchor pronounced O-KAN-a-gan when it's correctly pronounced O-kan-A-gan... I was wondering where O-KAN-a-gan was. Then I spelled it out and realized what a buffoon that person was. Newfoundland is pronounced NEWF-an(d)land, not New Found Land. Ask any Newfie.

Anyone else experience this or feel this way? I know... I'm just a cranky old dame who cares about saying what I mean and meaning what I say Smile

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 300 • Replies: 3
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2023 08:17 pm
@Mame,
Yes! I get Yahoo news feeds. Doesn't anybody there do any kind of proofreading?
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2023 08:04 am
What's with the incessant use of the reflexive? I hear this way too often.

"My brother and myself went to the movies."

"If you want us to do the job, contact Martin or myself."

"So far, posts have been made by Mame, Roger, and myself."
Mame

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2023 08:19 am
@hightor,
Yes, I hear that, too. And we've talked about redundancies before, like 10 a.m. in the morning. I like to jokingly point them out to people.
0 Replies